• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

John Lane's Fire Breathing Monster info & pics

[quote:977011d2ae]I didn't mention the Corvette in the Battery Street tunnel did I? Poor guy. He had no idea. 'Twas a mean thing to do to him, but he was just a little too full of himself and I couldn't resist. LOL. [/quote:977011d2ae]

That's cruel. To us, I mean, not him. You're just teasing all of us who haven't had the time or money to get where you are. :cry:
Ok, and I'm ticked I wasn't there to see it. Call me when you're going to do that sort of thing, I want to be there!

Okay, I was just headed to the machine shop to drop off some parts for my B23FT stock rebuild. Thanks for taking all the fun out of that for me John :( .

You have talked me into checking out the b-280/premier route. The stock parts seem to be abundant in my area so that shouldn't be a problem. I really wanted a 600hp Volvo w/ a redblock, but looking at time and money invested the V6 is sounding like a better way to go. I am very stubborn, but not to the point of being blind :stupid: . No arguing the facts. At least I could still say it was a Volvo motor, which is the main reason I don't want a V8 of the american variety in there. Hell I already got the intercooler, :woowoo: , I'm part way there!

As for Thunderhill, I'll just have to pray :urgod: for the great equalizer, rain.

Quote of the day: "If you can't beat em, join em!"

Patrick D.

Yes, good one, John, I see you've been being a naughty boy as usual. :badboy:

The only thing John likes doing more than demoralizing other drivers who think their expensive sports car is fast is seeing how far he can get his terrified passenger to suck the seat cushion up their ass! :yikes:

I do remember shaming a guy in a Porsche 930 Turbo on I-5 back when the car was still black and maroon and fairly stealth (sorry John, I couldn't resist). Poor guy probably took his car to the mechanic the next day to find out what was wrong with it. "There must be something wrong, Gunter, it won't keep up with a Volvo!"

Hey, all you guys that are throwing your redblocks in the garbage and are searching for superior aluminum machinery now, just remember, most of the expense isn't in the engine. It's in everything else behind it that you are going to blow up...

-Dave Clark

The only thing John likes doing more than demoralizing other drivers who think their expensive sports car is fast is seeing how far he can get his terrified passenger to suck the seat cushion up their ass! :yikes:

[/quote]

Ahhhhh Yessssssss. I do recall how a couple of Co-Drivers complained about how my fairly nice seat cushion material chafed. :eek:

The car is not the stealthmobile that is was when REALLY ugly and maroon, but is still quite effective at bruising other driver's egos. :twisted: JL.

I got the car out on gravel last night for a bit of a practice session. Oh boy the Volvo is the naughty toy. It is the very willing Co-Conspiritor. It really tracks well with the DMS shocks, and the Motor is more willing then in the past. The brakes have been more then up to the task since the Gp-A cossie stuff, and all is dandy with it. Oh this is going to be an amusing weekend. 8) So guys and gals......Doo-Wops this weekend. Come on down or up or whatever......But make sure that you are there to see the Volvo in action. I'll be happy to throw rocks at you.
JohnLane.

JL,
Is it worth coming out? I've been thinking about either going snowboarding and heading down to shelton... I can only be there saturday though... Wait, what am i saying... I'll try my hardest to be there!

weezilusa said:
JL,
Is it worth coming out? I've been thinking about either going snowboarding and heading down to shelton... I can only be there saturday though... Wait, what am i saying... I'll try my hardest to be there!

Good choice. I Aways give the spectators a good show. I'll try to keep the shiny side up. :roll:
JL.

towerymtlookalike said:
[quote:7577411040="JohnLane"]I Aways give the spectators a good show. I'll try to keep the shiny side up. :roll:
JL.

Don't those statements contradict? :p[/quote:7577411040]

Nope. But no promises about keeping the shiny side up. :shock:
JL.

Obeharskad122s said:
John, I private messaged you. check it out under the "forum options" pull down menu.

Thanks for the offer man. Very kind of ya. My Mom has offered her running, driving '80 242DL, which she has owned since new, and has no sunroof (perfect).

Guys and gals......Make sure that you all make it out to the woods to see the Doo-Wops. Find your way to the NRW SCCA webpage and click on 'Doo-Wops' then click on spectator instructions. Sunday will be the day of the very best stages. If weather and traction permit, I will be looking to best the two wheel drive record of 6:49 on the Brooklyn tavern stage. Should be a hoot.
JL.

Excellent, as long as you keep going on this. I'll just push this sucker around the back of my shop, then probably take it to the steel mill if I cant figure a more productive use for it. Maybe I'll make some cool lawn art, make it look like the sucker sunk in the ground or something. HA!

Obeharskad122s said:
Excellent, as long as you keep going on this. I'll just push this sucker around the back of my shop, then probably take it to the steel mill if I cant figure a more productive use for it. Maybe I'll make some cool lawn art, make it look like the sucker sunk in the ground or something. HA!

Two days to Doo-Wops!!
The Volvo is ready for battle.
Just counting down the minutes now.
Hope to see all of you out in the woods.
JL.

I was lucky enough to be there, but unfortunately, no pics or vids... We didn't know there where 2 highway 101's, and so we took an hour or two detour and missed the first 2 stages. The third stage I saw the Fire Breathing monster rip it up through a chincane and get nice and sideways... But on the 4th, I didn't see the monster coming back... and unfortunately, it wasn't coming... I heard from some that he had gone off a cliff, which is a little bit of an exageration, but it was still pretty bent up... windshield, front of roof, side... PS unharmed though... Sad thing, although there was still a 740 in the running to represent. (although it is nothing like the FBM).

Hey all........
Doo-Wops happened this last weekend.
The Volvo was running and driving better then ever before.
The DMS rear shocks made it such that I am able to put power down rather then just spinning it away. Wow!!
Stage one I bested all the other two wheel drive guys even with very sloppy driving.
Stage two was an short tarmac stage, and was more for being silly then serious. The Volvo tore up a pair of rear Pirellis to the point of needing replacement in 1.25 miles. Did John paint some stripe? The spectators as always got a priceless show.
Stage three is back in the woods on a VERY FAST logging road. We are within a mile of the finish on a LONG straight (kinda muddy.....It had been raining) at 110MPH when the rear end stepped out and did not respond to correction. At 160 degrees of rotation I locked up all four hoping for the long pirouette, but the car went to the left and found the short bank (Thanks to God for not going into the trees!) which spit us back into the road in a rolling motion. Over and over we went thumping away. We ended up on my side facing the way we had been coming.
For whatever reason, the engine is now burning coolant in #6.
It is all fixable, but it looks like thunderhill is not going to happen.
Time to go back to work. JohnLane.

[quote:738d501416]but it looks like thunderhill is not going to happen. [/quote:738d501416]

NOOOOOO!!!!! :cry: :pow:

this can't be!!

oh well.. schnitt happens.... like doug said.. really crappy.... but how did the rest of the car look?? hopefully, it just added to the beauty of your car...

Jimmy

Aha. I might have guessed that the T-Bricksters would want more detail. 8)
The Powerstroke I/C appears to have survived just fine, as did the rollcage and everything else that really matters in the car. The car had no impact to the nose at all. Dave Clark had reinforced the frame rail for strength as he was very concerned about this. It looks pretty beefy, but is still not as strong as stock. The intercooler was a really nice thing for driving as it made the power delivery smoother and faster between throttle inputs and power delivery. It was a lot more of an On-off switch previously. In fairness, I do not know with certainty just how much of that is in the fact that the DMS rear shocks made it so that I am now putting POWER to the ground, where previously I was just doing the 'Press throttle, HUGE WHEELSPIN!!' gig. With the DMS shocks I would apply large power and the car would squat and we are sucked into our seats as the car puts the power down. The difference is HUGE compared with any other shock I have ever tried. I have used Bilstien standard, specially valved Bilstiens in several different valving configurations with the solid bushings on each end, and Volvo R-Sport shocks. None of these even come close to the level of control of the DMS. HMMMMMMM........Maybe there IS value in putting more dough into them. JL.

Well all I've got to say is, go check out the "Oops, he did it again!" thread to view the results of John's handiwork.

It would be cool to see if any of the spectators that helped right the car got any pics or vid of the action...

-Dave Clark

Back