• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sedan - Rear Glass Seal

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Has anyone ever replaced the rear glass or the seal in a sedan? I have an 88 that I am replacing all the seals with the later flush mount - better seal, noise and to eliminate that tacky chrome frame.

I bought a rear seal from the dealer - 3540119. Says 240 rear seal 91-93. The glass is an 88. PN's show that rear glass, whether an 88 or 91-93 are the same PN, yet the rear seal is way too big for this glass (maybe an inch?).

Defective seal? Different glass that the parts books forgot? Any ideas?

'Nuther question.....if you've installed the pre 91 seal, does it have channels and such for the clips and frame or is it designed where you could forego the frame and clips and it wouldn't look bad?

THX

Last edited:
Does the early style have grooves in it for the trim or clips? If you didn't use the trim, would it be noticeable?

The 122 and 1800 seals you can forego the chrome and it looks fine - never paid any attention to 240's.

I know I'm being a PITA......any chance at getting a pic of it (with the groove)? :oogle:

Thanks Jack....you're a pal. If I'm ever out there thataway I'll buy the beer. :cool:

Roy probably has the 91+ real deal seal in PNW cool weather rubber for TB cheap.

That is sounding like the ideal solution......get a good used one that you know fits.

Check my thread, I just used its original 1980 seal without the trims. Its completely unnoticeable.
Of course if you know what is missing and check upclose you can see the groove. If one does not know, well, he will probably never know.
20180430_120010 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

If anyone has an unused/great condition tailgate window seal for my '87 245 that they are willing to sell then please shoot me a PM. Thanks

This one I have is definitely defective or mis-bagged. It looks like it could almost be a 7/9 rear seal. At least 1-2" of extra rubber. I got it from IPD - fella there asked me if there was extra to trim. ?! I told him Volvo is too cheap to leave extra to cut off....43 of those trimmings will make them another seal.

If I can get a used-decent 91+ I'll go with that. The pre-91's are "back ordered" anyways.

(btw.....beautiful car petiww)

Only 2 that are in 3 yards combined presently is a badly rusted (but well maintained) 87 sedan......and an 89 sitting in 10" of water. Always love those places. The 240 supply is running thin anymore.

Back