• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Talk turbo with me, Mitsubishi 16g6 10.5t

ArcAngelCustoms

I found a post (think it was on here but can't find the link now) outlining the turbo options for a b230fk, and it mentioned the Mitsubishi 16g6. From the sounds of it, it's a pretty good choice for a quick spoiling turbo with reasonably high power potential.

I know they don't just bolt in, i know I'll need a new manifold and downpipe. That's no issue, making stuff from metal is kinda my thing.

I want to know if anyone here has run one on, opinions and experiences please! What was your setup? Driveability? Power?

For not much more than the price of a Chinese saab 19t i can get a mitsi turbo, i need a new exhaust anyway because it's still on the standard rotten remains of what used to be an exhaust, and i quite fancy making a header for it anyway.

I love both small and big 16Gs. Haven't run them on Volvo, but they're a solid turbo and would probably be a great pairing with the Volvo B230.

Fige is probably the most prominent example. Note that he was on microsquirt and E85 - http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304561 / http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=262125

Video was taken down though, PB killed some of the other images.

Then there's roadracer4life & linuxman51, and the following example, among others-
kolleturbo.jpg

Runs great on b230fb engine, finnish chips, 500cc injectors, 3"exhaust, 1,5bar of boost. still going rich, spools fast.

I personally had the "smaller" 9.8T on a 93 B230F+T. Chipped LH2.4, injectors and all that. Great boost response, enough to be fun behind a boring AW71 anyway...

I thought about playing with one of these on a 90+ or possibly cobbling together another manifold but haven't had an excuse to do so. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DSM-1G-2G-...Manifold-Flange-adapter-4g63-3-4/142231829060

There's some good info scattered about though. "search term site:turbobricks.com" in google helps tons.

Last edited:
The evo9 turbo is a great fit for these cars. At least 5+ people I k ow of have run them and love them. They are a great fit for these cars. A local one had one for a drift car another was a street car and 350whp and 450ftlbs torque at like 24psi.

This is one of the manifolds for one, not ideal but worked great, we redid the bend on #1 a few months later

evo816gheader.jpg

I think we saw something like 20psi by 2200rpm when on LH. I do not remember what it was on MS, It makes the car feel like it is n/a in the sense that there is not huge turbo surge like some larger turbos. Just this smooth building and push of power.

Just note that there's a difference between the evo8, 8.5, and 9 turbos. The 9's being the most desirable. They're all great turbos, but the 9 is sort of the culmination of the tech for the time. Again. My only experience is with them on the Evos themselves.

All sounds very promising, i like the quick spool up more than anything, would just make it so much smoother in a daily. The manifolds look tidy, I'll probably go with wrapped mild steel. My mate has a stainless manifold on his s14 that I'm welding cracks on every 6 months.

Thanks for the search tip, genius!

How does this compare to a 15g or a 19t? any experiences?

I mean. I have a 15g at 15 psi but it's on a 240. My Evo 9 is at 25psi, but it's on an Evo 9. They're totally different. The Evo has lag in the sense of the off boost and on boost is such a huge difference whereas the Volvo has basically no lag because of the smallness of the turbo and also 15psi isn't like... ALL turbo.

How does this compare to a 15g or a 19t? any experiences?

Night and day difference in terms of what they can flow.

The evo8/9 turbos are td05 series turbos so they use a larger turbine wheel and compressor wheel, along with that the turbine housing flows worlds more air flow which will help with spool up and peak power.

The 15g/16t/18t/19t are great because they are OEM turbos from Volvo and can bolt up and work with minor effort.

The Evo turbo because of the twin scroll turbine housing is a big ugly monster that requires a bit of effort to make fit. But once you do the rewards are huge compared to say a bolt on 19t setup.

Im sold on the evo turbo, found a recon evo 9 turbo for ?350 including the surcharge. Seems like a no brainer really. Been reading up on the science behind twin scroll manifolds, anybody got an idea of which exhaust ports to pair up to time the exhaust pulses?

1/4 2/3. The n/a manifolds are paired correctly. You can do something like this if you want to make it real easy. I plan on using this method on one of my cars.
127794935.jpg

Just get one of the crappy megan racing O2 housings as well. It makes a big difference and the cost is negligible.

This makes me want to run the Evo turbos over the Holset I have sitting by my PC.

1/4 2/3. The n/a manifolds are paired correctly. You can do something like this if you want to make it real easy. I plan on using this method on one of my cars.
127794935.jpg

That works great on na cars but on a turbo can it doesn't work with the stock oil filter relocation kit as the outlet OD the na manifold dumps right onto the oil cooler.

Would there be much interest in a manifold for this turbo?
Made from Mild steel with short runners I could keep the costs fairly low. Biggest cost would be the laser cutting of the flanges but i reckon I could produce these and sell for under ?200. Stainless would also be available for an additional cost.

If I'm gunna be making one anyway, would only take 10 minutes to knock up a jig off of mine

People already sell the laser cut flanges btw. But... maybe I'm interested in a manifold for a turbo I have on another car that I'm not going to take off, but hmmmmmmmmmmm.

A flange doesn't make a manifold, they've also already got someone else's mark up on them. I prefer to go straight to the profilers, it's cheaper and i can vouch for the quality. Not everyone is capable of putting their own manifold together so I'm aiming towards the diy mechanic.
You'd be much better off with that turbo on a volvo anyway, unless you take the evo rallying every weekend?

Just picked up an evo 4 turbo for ridiculously cheap!
I'll sort out some injectors, amm, chip and a wideband over the next month or so.
Once I've got everything together I'll start up a build thread. Got a few other bits and pieces to fabricate too :oogle:

Back