• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I call it ?The Joke of the Neighborhood? 245 +T + more

Finally got over to the car, pulled it out and got started on the water pump. Didn't get to it sooner bc I was waiting for the replacement OE seals, once I got the pump off I saw these brand new seals weren't kinked or anything anyway, so I'll keep the extra set in a safe place. Pump was a PETA to get in place and I finally figured out how to manipulate the pump into the correct place by using the alternator for leverage and pushing up on the very bottom of the pump.

Got all the bolts on hand tight while holding pressure on the bar, some how, when I was almost finished tightening all the bolts down I some how snapped one of the top bolts in half. Which is weird bc I really don't think I tightened it all that hard? Still everything worked and I have driven the car about 30 miles with no leaks or issues! So I am hoping it will stay that way until I can find an extra bolt off one of the old pumps and eventually swap them out.Hindsight says to just leave it be, but not sure I can handle knowing its got a broken bolt!

If you are lucky, when you revisit the pump and remove it, there will be enough exposed thread bolt material to get a vise grip on it and get it out. If it was going to leak it would leak right away. Hepu is the way to go for a WP.

I really hope it has enough on it to be able to get it out with some vice grips. If not I will have to have to call in a favor to a machinist friend and have them carefully drill it out! My first thought was if it didn't leak right away like the last time then we were golden, but you never know with stuff like this. All the learning I did on this project and I have to end up braking a bolt! Will at least be able to safely and reliable be able to bring the baby home form the hospital in it. We just installed one of the car seat and mirrors in it and put the bag we packed three months with out clothes and hospital stuff. House is all ready, now she needs to just get ready to come home!

Finally got over to the car, pulled it out and got started on the water pump. Didn't get to it sooner bc I was waiting for the replacement OE seals, once I got the pump off I saw these brand new seals weren't kinked or anything anyway, so I'll keep the extra set in a safe place. Pump was a PETA to get in place and I finally figured out how to manipulate the pump into the correct place by using the alternator for leverage and pushing up on the very bottom of the pump.

Got all the bolts on hand tight while holding pressure on the bar, some how, when I was almost finished tightening all the bolts down I some how snapped one of the top bolts in half. Which is weird bc I really don't think I tightened it all that hard? Still everything worked and I have driven the car about 30 miles with no leaks or issues! So I am hoping it will stay that way until I can find an extra bolt off one of the old pumps and eventually swap them out.Hindsight says to just leave it be, but not sure I can handle knowing its got a broken bolt!

Is that a OE Volvo bolt or the bolt that came with the aftermarket(?) WP?

You did use a 1/4" drive rachet...right? (not a 3/8 drive rachet)

Five years on and still no turbo? THIS T</k>HREAD TITLE IS MISLEADING.

Ohh shoot, you caught me!! Progress is a slow thing! Working my way to it!

Is that a OE Volvo bolt or the bolt that came with the aftermarket(?) WP?

You did use a 1/4" drive rachet...right? (not a 3/8 drive rachet)

Yes is was a Volvo bolt that came with the Volvo OE water pump kit!

Ohh shoot, you caught me!! Progress is a slow thing! Working my way to it!

Yes is was a Volvo bolt that came with the Volvo OE water pump kit!

Did you use a 1/4" drive rachet? It looks like you used a 3/8 " drive rachet and far overtightened the bolt to me.

Yes is was a Volvo bolt that came with the Volvo OE water pump kit![/QUOTE]

Did you use a 1/4" drive rachet? It looks like you used a 3/8 " drive rachet and far overtightened the bolt to me.

Always use a 1/4" drive on those small bolts like the cam cover ,WP are.

Pretty sure I used the 1/4". Thankfully nothing is leaking, if it was going to, it would have happened already!

I will determine wether I want to pull the pump off again and put a new bolt in the coming months. Next up is ball joints! I have a pair of NIB Meyle, but I am starting to wonder if why I bought them 2 yrs ago without doing any research on them. Is Meyle as good or better then OE, or am I better off not messing with them and finding better replacements?

IPD list them as OE?

Ok, so this car has always had a functioning over drive system and has never had an issue with the shifter getting locked up. It's an automatic, and the shifter components are all still unbroken, unlike all the other car that have the black plastic broken in half which allows them to shift without using the shift overlock button or have the car in to shift the car. While all the components are still functioning the last two times I have driven the car in them last few weeks the car is not shifting into park unless I force it? Is this a common issue you guys have seen, whats the cause if everything looks intact under the shifter cover?

worn shifter bushings?

Now that you mention it when the car had gotten rear ended the engine mounts broke and caused the same issue, I simply put in new Volvo replacements and that issue was solved, maybe it finally gave.

Have you hacked up your dash yet and installed the digital display radio?// is it?

No, definitely not! I won't be hacking up my minty crack free dash anytime soon, though the amp on the radio has failed for a second time and the radio is no longer functional, so after market radio sounds nice!

Look under the car and make sure everything is in place, no bushings wanting to walk out. Put the front on jack stands and have your lovely assistant move the selector while you observe what is happening.

I don't know how, but my Photo bucket photos have magically started working again for the first ten pages of this thread???

It has been a really long time since I really did anything of substance on this forum or in this thread. Old Iron is still as much a part of my life as ever. This car has been with me at every moment in my adult life, including my recent divorce and custody proceedings over the last two years.

I have used this car for normal driving a lot in the last year, in June it was side swiped by an inexperienced driver and awaiting repair. Which brings me to my next saga in this story. This fender bender has initiated a major refurbishment for the car, including a strip down for rust repair and paint. I want it done right.

It has been a journey finding a shop willing to do the complete job. Some shops don't want to work on the car at all, others want to paint the car without doing rust repair and others will paint but don't want to paint jambs, etc. it has been a true headache.

My daughter already loves this car and enjoys trips with me. This struggle is real, finding a good shop, but I am in it for the long haul.

Attachments

• IMG_8804.jpg
    IMG_8804.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_8788.jpg
    IMG_8788.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8805.jpg
    IMG_8805.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_8810.jpg
    IMG_8810.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8823.jpg
    IMG_8823.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
saga.... cont.

The paint on the passenger side has that degenerative degradation which has gotten worse over the 11 years I have owned the car no matter how much I waxed... cared for it!

Attachments

• IMG_8822.jpg
    IMG_8822.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8823.jpg
    IMG_8823.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8786.jpg
    IMG_8786.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_8781.jpg
    IMG_8781.jpg