• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it.

In other news, here's a super terrible picture of a future upgrade to the 142. It's a B23ft from an '84 760. Rumor has it that it was rebuilt 30-40k ago, but we'll see how it looks when I pull the head. I plan to freshen it up, replace some gaskets and cosmetic stuff, and try to get it in the car by the end of summer. It'll be a tall order with no garage and no time, but it's good to set goals, I'm told.

Pretty excited to eventually own a boosted car again.

I kind of want a set of those wheels now. I love the way they look, but I don't want to have to clean them all the time.

It's not easy. I feel like someday I may paint the centers darker to help hide the dust. The lips are really easy to clean, and they look awesome with a quick wipe down.

i feel like a 45 series tire would look even better.

its hard for me to explain, but i PERSONALLY think that the perfect tire size from a hight perspective doesnt flow into the wheel arches? idk, im just rambling.

looks good tho

i feel like a 45 series tire would look even better.

its hard for me to explain, but i PERSONALLY think that the perfect tire size from a hight perspective doesnt flow into the wheel arches? idk, im just rambling.

looks good tho

I see what you mean. The radius of the smaller tire would better match the radius of the wheel arch. But I think it might also leave a bit of wheel gap, which I'm not into. Most importantly, I didn't want to go any lower than 50 for the ride quality. It's a bit on the harsh side as-is.

I'm curious as to your opinions of the Classic Swede spring/shock combo. Are these better than Bilstein HD's in a lowered application? Were they pricey to ship to North America? Did you get their shortened rear shocks or standard length?

Also, do you know the specs on the springs? I see on their website they sell 40mm, 60mm and 60/40mm lowering springs, but I'd like to know how low/stiff they actually are. Would you recommend their springs over a set of Bluecoils?

LOVE this car, great inspiration for my 72 142. Your turbo plan sounds awesome BTW!

The springs are 70mm front and 60mm rear drop, but the 70mm was a custom thing they had from a previous customer's order. The fronts are supposed to be 750 lbs., and I actually don't know the rear rate. To be honest, I think it's stiffer than most people would like on their daily driver. My last car was a slammed Mini on coil overs, so I guess I am used to subpar ride quality. Shipping on all this stuff wasn't terrible, but I forget exactly how much.

The shocks have been ok. I got the shorter shocks to hold the springs in mainly, but I couldn't get them adjusted correctly and now I'm running some old KYB's until I figure that out. The rebound was either so slow that it packed up and wouldn't allow full ride height, or it was way too fast and bouncy. I've got the fronts feeling pretty decent.

I'd like to ride in someone else's low 140 to see if the ride can be any better, though.

I should also mention the sway bars stiffen things up on uneven roads, too.

And thanks!

I'm curious as to your opinions of the Classic Swede spring/shock combo. Are these better than Bilstein HD's in a lowered application? Were they pricey to ship to North America? Did you get their shortened rear shocks or standard length?

Also, do you know the specs on the springs? I see on their website they sell 40mm, 60mm and 60/40mm lowering springs, but I'd like to know how low/stiff they actually are. Would you recommend their springs over a set of Bluecoils?

LOVE this car, great inspiration for my 72 142. Your turbo plan sounds awesome BTW!

Minor updates.

The B23ft building process has been painfully slow due to it needing a full rebuild. The block is sitting in the shed, waiting to go to the machine shop for intermediate bearings and cleaning. While it was stripped down I decided to add squirters. My CR should end up in the 9.3:1 range, so I figured some added detonation control would be nice.

The next steps are to have the 405 head cleaned and turbo valves ground in, as well as having the block hot-tanked. Then I'll paint everything and start assembling.

I also got the intercooler mounted up front in preparation. The more things I can do before I pull my b18 out, the less time the car will be out of commission.

Are you going to be able to keep the factory radiator with whatever engine mounts you're using?

I'm going to try. I have Yoshi adapters, but I won't know for sure about the radiator clearance until I have the motor in. One thought was a pusher fan on the front on the stock radiator. But I'm not sure about that yet.

are you running the engine slanted or upright? b21f intake?

Upright. That way I'll have plenty of room for stock exhaust/turbo parts. I'll be using a kjet head with efi injectors in the kjet holes, then I'll be making an intake manifold, most likely starting with b21f runners. I have a good friend who is more than capable, so it'll just be a matter of designing it and finding the time.

I'm not sure how much room there is in a 142 compared to a 122. My stock radiator wouldn't even fit with the engine sitting pretty far back. It hit the nose of the water pump and that was before even putting any kind of fan in there. I had to move the radiator pretty far forward which leaves so little room for an appropriate-sized intercooler. I want to assume that 140s have a little more room to work with in the front.

I'm not sure how much room there is in a 142 compared to a 122. My stock radiator wouldn't even fit with the engine sitting pretty far back. It hit the nose of the water pump and that was before even putting any kind of fan in there. I had to move the radiator pretty far forward which leaves so little room for an appropriate-sized intercooler. I want to assume that 140s have a little more room to work with in the front.

Fromt eh installs I've seen, it looks like the stock radiator location will work. Even If I have to move it forward, though, there is plenty of room between the radiator and the grill for an intercooler and oil cooler. I mounted the intercooler where I thought it would work no matter what, but if it ends up being too tight, I can get a smaller one and move it even further forward. The one I have in there now is an 18x12x3 core.

Back