• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 244 DL Autocrosser

Guessing vxavxvxavx is the beemer in question?

Your obvious misspelling of my username is as offensive as your misuse of the word "beemer".

Mr. Towery "Cheater" mt, I already know you're going to be there. If you want, I'll show you how well the 255/35s fit under my car with sledge clearance.

Your obvious misspelling of my username is as offensive as your misuse of the word "beemer".

Mr. Towery "Cheater" mt, I already know you're going to be there. If you want, I'll show you how well the 255/35s fit under my car with sledge clearance.

toooo skinny.

hey guess what, you can take 200lbs off your minimum weight with <275mm tires. How are you going to take another 500lbs out of the car?

I haven't done much with the car lately. Skipped the last autocross to go to SE. Probably should have stayed to beat the bee-mer and take the championship, but oh well. I've already got two season championships that I earned by beating underprepared cars driven by hacks. :lol: So I'm going to autocross on 10/17 against the bim-mer and see if the tall T5 2nd gear makes me slower with the big 16" tires.

I swapped in the production version of the roll center spacers and the new hardware was a big improvement. Neither spacer fit as I expected, but I drilled and grinded and smashed them into place. Destroyed a tie rod end knocking it out of the steering arm. But it's done.

Installed tender springs on the front. Found the tire doesn't clear. Removed the tender springs. Probably damaged/destroyed the Konis using an impact on them. Oops. I'll have to drive the car and see what develops. The hex on the top of the strut shaft just rounded off when using a socket, so I failed. Now the rebound adjuster on top doesn't turn.

Test fit the 15" BBS with 275/35/15 and they will clear the spring with a small spacer on top of the adapter.
129340420.jpg

I think this was as low as it would go
129340421.jpg

Bumped out the fender with a board wedged between the spring and fender...it would clear the tire.
129340492.jpg

129340424.jpg

Good lord, that looks evil! Its hard to tell in the pictures, but what is the clearance between the tire and strut tube? That fender looks great with that flare, I wonder if you could use a fender roller on the arch, and work it till it maintains that curve.

Damn that arch is beautiful. Wish I could do that.
You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. The edge is not sharp, but when leaning over the engine, it's sharp digging into my kneecap. I'm going to rebuild the front fenders and use a stock arch with just the lip trimmed/rolled. But the whole panel will be wider to cover the tire.

I rough formed it over an old tire using a hammer, then once I got most of the lumps out, I paved over with bondo and sanded til smooth...mostly. Looks decent from afar.

The fender doesn't have any screws along the a-pillar (normally two into the back edge, seen when you open the door). So I can pull the fender out and it opens up the gap to the door to at least 1/2" at the base. This is why it would be better to cut and splice in material to stretch the panel out. Sometimes it's done by making radial cuts from the arch out to the turn signal and another back towards the upper corner near the a-pillar so the whole panel can be widened. I mostly need to move the arch higher and farther out than stock. Right now it's really low because of how I rolled the lip into a continuous curve.

If you didn't have 100 tenders on top of tenders, you could probably sit that spring adjuster above the tire like mine is and push the rim in a good 5-10mm. Do you really need 10" of spring?

You're lucky I'm helping you at all after those hurtful words on page 42.

Last edited:
If you didn't have 100 tenders on top of tenders, you could probably sit that spring adjuster above the tire like mine is and push the rim in a good 5-10mm. Do you really need 10" of spring?

You're lucky I'm helping you at all after those hurtful words on page 42.
Bne keeps bugging me to add tenders. Don't think I'm going to. Save 2lb per corner, yo!

Let's see what he can engineer in the off season to beat me...

Last event about 20 people asked where you were. Everyone loves the Volvos because you never see any of them. In fact, other than BNE I believe this is the only autocross build on this forum, amirite?

Typical whiney bimmer driver.

Although your spelling needs a little assistance, I already told BNE how good your car looks on those steel units. Don't blow it.

Back