• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 air ride

Ponies

Hello, i have finnished my latest modification on the 245, swapped out the front end from new to old 75-80s front. And now i've been thinking about air bagging my 245, because i bought a house around very harsh environment for lowered cars. Norwegian dirtroads doesnt like cut springs.

So i started looking at kits, but quickly found out that i have no chanse to afford it, so im going to build my own system. I have never done anything with air before, so i have no idea on what to expect for costs and work. I know people have bagged their 240's, but i cant find any good threads on how to diy.

Thats why im making this thread, in hope that someone can guide me on this. :)

I might make a thread about building my setup if i get enough information and courage to take on the assignment, maybe it can come in handy for others who are thinking of doing the same. :)

Any tips and advices are greatly appreciated! :)

Heres a few pictures from the transformation of my 245 :)

I put airbags on a 1967 Chevy Caprice for a buddy. It made it into a worthless pile of crap that rides bad and corners like an elephant on stilts.

Learn from my mistakes. Don't do it.

I put airbags on a 1967 Chevy Caprice for a buddy. It made it into a worthless pile of crap that rides bad and corners like an elephant on stilts.

Learn from my mistakes. Don't do it.

Haha, was it bad at all heights? And how much did it cost to make, was it difficult? :)

If it's a good air system with good bags and shocks, it should handle well, not superb. I bagged a Toyota Solara I owned. I did it right, and it handled good for a car with bags. Shocks and good bags are the key.

If it's a good air system with good bags and shocks, it should handle well, not superb. I bagged a Toyota Solara I owned. I did it right, and it handled good for a car with bags. Shocks and good bags are the key.

I see, aprox how much did this cost? Was the process complicated? I have never touched any suspension which uses air, so i have no idea what to expect.

And what do i need buy?

Also, the 245 is more of a summer/cruising car, so doesnt really matter that much if it handles a bit bad, its rarely used and mostly rolls slow :)

Last edited:
Haha, was it bad at all heights? And how much did it cost to make, was it difficult? :)

It sucks all the time at every height. It took months, and lots of fabrication. I don't know exactly what he paid, but it was close to $2,000. The "kit" was supposed to fit his car perfectly, but nothing fit. NOTHING. We had to modify everything, including parts of the frame.

I can't stand his car now. It's basically junk, and just for a silly trick of sitting the car down on the oil pan when it's parked.

If only for short term use, I'd just add supplemental airbags, the rest of the suspension remains, the bags are only used when you need to go up a few inches. Super easy for the rear and should cost a few hundred dollars.

The front would be trickier but I'm sure if you did some searching and stared at all the parts for a while you'd get an idea that would work.

If only for short term use, I'd just add supplemental airbags, the rest of the suspension remains, the bags are only used when you need to go up a few inches. Super easy for the rear and should cost a few hundred dollars.

The front would be trickier but I'm sure if you did some searching and stared at all the parts for a while you'd get an idea that would work.

I only need the bags for getting down to my main road which is about 1 mile of bumpy and uneven dirtroads. Its the front suspension im worried about, if i use the cut springs i got on it now, it will scrape all the way from the garage to the main road. The rear isnt that bad at all, but would you recomend doing the rear also if im going for air bags?

It would look ALOT cooler if i could slam both the front and rear down to the ground, but i got to keep money in this aswell.

Thank you for replying :)

I made some using universal air suspension parts. I'd say it cost about 3k if you wanna run good pumps,good size line and good fittings
I will be making a step by step thread on how to shorten the struts and how to retro fit the air bag. Including the part number for a shock that does not require I top hat for the strut mount. Dm for videos and pictures.

Last edited:
Looohan's car is dope. Josh showed me picture of it a while back. Can't wait to see it finished.

OP, bagging the wagon will be super easy. Start on page 30 of my thread. I have some pictures of how I did it to get you started. If you run into issues hit me up. Be prepared to spend about $2500. Don't spend less for cheaper stuff. Trust me. Good luck!

"Buy" (haul off for free?) a used Range Rover for less than it costs to bag your car? :lol: Replace the blown bags and see how much to like messing with it? Have chick magnet Range Rover in the meantime?

I've only owned one car with that wheel arch trim.

Last edited:
It's about 1/4" from laying it. I also have the bag bracket a bit taller than yours though. You would lay out.

Back