• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My other 242 (Machiavelli)

Yep the tires mysteriously jumped off the road again. :uh:
Nothing mysterious about it. The tiny car hydroplaned in a ridiculously heavy rain while keeping with the pace of traffic. I managed to avoid hitting any other cars by directing myself into a wall. My punishment seems to be eternal back pain. That's all that happened, and I would prefer to not discuss it further.

Hmmm, I'll discuss that with my wiring guy. I admit to being a total wiring noob, so I'm letting Lanny deal with that...

What years were LH2.2 on for the 240?

Ew, find a 240 2.2 one or you're in for ages of trying to figure out wiring. It's damn nearly a plug in and go deal with a 240 harness, only a couple wires you have to mess with.

It's not a big deal at all, i've used the 740 harness on all of the 2.2 swaps i've done and never had a problem. I'd say use what you have, plus you won't have to cut open the 240 harness to move the MAF wiring.

Finally made some progress this last weekend, with lots of help from Lanny! He spent most of the time doing the crazy laborious process of sorting the existing and new wiring harnesses for the impending LH2.2 and EZK. We yanked the motor and assessed that situation. I need to get the flywheel resurfaced and order the throwout bearing, pilot bearing, front and rear main seals and then put all that together and get it back where it belongs. I spent most of the time sorting the interior and mounting the clutch pedal assembly including drilling the hole and running the clutch line. I don't have too much time the next couple weekends, but I hope to do a thorough cleaning of the engine bay and sort some more of the interior while I wait for the arrival of parts.

I'll likely be hosting a BBQ/work meet the last weekend of September, (probably Sunday the 26th) to drop in the motor, swap in the RX7 calipers and 740 discs, and possibly some wiring and putting things back in place. Anyone who comes to help will get paid in high quality beer and really tasty burgers. Possibly a pizza lunch. I'll post a thread in the Events forum when I get the details figured out.

Just wanted to give people a heads up on this, and let everyone know it has not been forgotten. I hope to have the car drivable before the rainy season.

I will come up for your BBQ as long as it's not on the day of an autocross or the same as any of the 3 weddings I am attending in as many months.

All I require is some food without meat and beer. Lots of beer.

I will come up for your BBQ as long as it's not on the day of an autocross or the same as any of the 3 weddings I am attending in as many months.

All I require is some food without meat and beer. Lots of beer.
Thanks, Eric! I'll post details ASAP to give people planning time. Do you eat any seafood?
I'll make sure to have other selections for non-meat eaters as well.

I eat seafood.

Looking forward to you driving a VOLVO again instead of that BMfailW.
Sweet. We do some mean garlic and butter BBQ shrimp.

You and me both, man... Getting some work done on that car got me really looking forward to driving it again. There is a lot of work to get done, but it's getting to be a little less overwhelming.

Oh man, good times!

Well, the event... not the drag times...

I seem to remember it pulling something like an 18.75 at 72mph. It'll be interesting to see what it does on its second trip to the strip... :lol:

Awesome man, glad to hear that you're still pluggin away at this. I'll try my best to make it down to give ya a hand when the time comes. Hopefully someone from the sac area will be heading down so I won't have to ride the damn train.

Thanks, Dan! :)

I know a few people from various places were saying they could help out. I am sure it will depend a lot on their schedules. I'll try to iron out the details soon and give as much advance notice as possible.

By the way, any word on those flathood grills?

dam how long does it take to do this swap? haven't you been working on this for like 3 years now?

loosening 1 bolt a week or what?

dam how long does it take to do this swap? haven't you been working on this for like 3 years now?

Sometimes, life gets in the way... :-( It doesn't help when I don't have a garage to work in, and getting anything done involves getting setup and cleaning everything up when done for the day... It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it does keep me from getting stuff done on a more regular basis.

Working on it a lot more now. Been trying to get a few things done, one piece at a time...

One concern I have now (not really quite to that point yet, but it is on my mind) is how I am going to get this thing reffed. I can probably get it smogged easily by taking it to a fairly ignorant smog shop, but I would like to do this legit... at least for now...

So here is what I am working with:
'84 242DL shell that had a B23F with LH2.0
Engine block is from an '81 242 turbo with a T3 and intercooler swapped in.
All wiring, MAF, airbox, etc is from a 740 running LH2.2 and EZK.

I want to tell the smog ref that it will be a complete swap from an 85 740 turbo, mostly to make things easier with the LH2.2. The airbox will be tricky, but do-able, and the only other thing is the cat from the '81 242. Will the smog ref be looking for a cat from a 740, or will this one do? What else do they look for? Will the VIN stamped on the block matter? I will have the dash VIN from the original '84 242DL. I have never had to get a car reffed before, so I have no idea what the process involves or what specifically they look at.

Any advice or experience is much appreciated...

Don't be a dick.

Logan, ditch that 740 wiring and get an '88 240 harness. You need it to look as stock and un-hacked as possible. Run 850T orange top injectors (0280150785) and paint the tops green to match the stock greentops.

If they give you ****, tell them the EMS is 10 years newer. That word "newer" seems to sit well with the CA Smog Nazis.

Back