• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

Cx7vLNJh.jpg

How much JB Weld will this take?

Third time's the charm, right?

IXLD7gkh.jpg

I got lazy and didn't clean the head. Turbo pistons in the '93 block the car originally came with and a T cam. New rod bearings and seals all around.

Get them injectors?

I did indeed, thanks. They look great.

Engine is mostly in, just need to bolt in one of the engine mounts and the bell housing. In the passenger mount I used a Land Rover Defender mount with some washers. Looks a lot beefier vs the standard one and was like $5 on Rockauto.

BA1041762-1__ra_p.jpg

Oh, ok, so this next one is all new ish. I would definitely send the injectors out for a quick clean and whatnot before getting too crazy. Or at least give them a quick diy cleanup.

Finished it up and put about 70 miles on it today. Works pretty well, loving the 15g. The idling down problem that I've been fighting since I got the car is completely gone. I'm happy, it runs well and all the engine internals are still internal.

I'll be buying a wideband before turning up the boost this time...

EDIT: It's possible that I accidentally set the old engine's base timing to -20 and not -10...

Last edited:
Is 15g boost creep a common issue? It holds WG pressure until it gets over about 3k then it slowly goes up to about 12psi..

Also the exhaust is amazingly loud. Need to look into that.

If it’s holding pressure until 3k rpm and then creeping then you need to make sure the flapper is actually opening up. Put some pressure to the WG and see if the arm is moving out like it should.

Never have I considered an engine to be on borrowed rime as much as this one. That car is cursed.

Ahhhh, it's fine.

Anyway, I touched my turbo to install coolant lines and now it's leaking oil really badly.

UJTpelyh.jpg

The feed line won't fit any other way with the coolant line in. Guess I gotta find an angled one.

Is it leaking near the washers? Are they forsure good copper crush washers?

In one instance, i used copper crush washers that had an inside diameter slightly too large. It leaked.

I have since ditched the rubbish banjo bolt setup (it sucks, they’re garbage metal if you got it cheap) and went to a m12x1.5>4an fitting. Wayyy better.

Here you go. Well with the switch in my opinion.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/AN-4-AN4-4AN-to-M12x1-5-Metric-Adapter-Black-/160487676730

(I’m assuming your feed is already 4an by the way, i didn’t read though)

Back