• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Which BMW's and what years had the best getrag manual trans. for swaps into my 245

I have seen some 262 four speed getrags with the removable bellhousing in big beamers also. You can tell they are the four speeds and not the 5 speeds because there is only two sections to the tranny part. The five speed getrags have three sections to the tranny part and are longer because of it. Also the 5 speed I'm running is the 5th gear overdrive one. I haven't found any dog legs at any yards yet. We did see a guy at one of the recent OVT meetings at the Old market and pub who was driving a 633csi with a dog leg five speed. Looks exactly the same on the outside as the overdrive version, but they say the middle part of the three parts of the tranny will be a courser finish. Also the shift patter is different. Three up and three down for the dog leg, Four gears up and two gears down for the overdrive 5 speed. As far as what ones have the dog leg in usa, 79 633csi for sure, other year CSI's usually have overdrive getrag unless grey market perhaps.

Yes... But someone stole the intake! ITBs... The S38 was still there, my guess would be that the motor was maybe blown??. If It was the summer I would have grabbed it. This was the same day I found a complete stainless steel performance exhaust for my 530 and the yard only changed me 40$ haha and it was already disconnected. It was really sad to see this car there. But basically all of the things that make it an M5 have been taken. I would love a 240 with an S38 in it. Alpha-N MS it!

/off topic.

Since you're in Canuckistan, the engine probably is fine, unless someone was stupid and ran it out of oil on the highway or something like that. Only cars in the states went through the CFC program.

-J

I found an e28 M5 in the yard and It had a trans you could have used, I think I might actually grab it.
The e28 M5 uses a Getrag 280 box, it does not have a detachable bellhousing.

...by dogleg you all mean the one with 1st down low and 5-speed with 5th being 1:1? what's the other, 4-speed no o/d? did any of them have o/d gear with removable bellhousing?
The 262 is 4 speed. There are 2 265s, both with removable bellhousings.

The 265/5 close ratio with the 'dog-leg' shift pattern,
ratios are - 3.72, 2.40, 1.77, 1.26, 1.00.

The 265/6 is the 'overdrive' box with the normal H shift pattern,
ratios are - 3.82, 2.20, 1.39, 1.00, 0.81.

...someone stole the intake! ITBs... The S38 was still there, my guess would be that the motor was maybe blown??.
Even a blown S38 would be worth having for parts.

BMW made a 3 litre V8 for use in 5 series cars?

The 3 liter V8 sucked though... they only made it for like one year before they went to the 540... its the same basic motor platform though, just lower displacement.

My getrag is from an 88 e30 M3.

Back