• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

4 cylinder t5 input shaft cut or no?

960Slug

I have a 4 cylinder t5 in my car it's bolted together and drives but shifting just grinds gears while moving. I've done just about every thing clutch wise but last resort now is maybe input shaft is too long and pressing on gears?
For those who had or have a 2.3 t5 did you cut th shaft some? I'm using deeworks adapter

clutch disk too thick?

I'm only familiar with the V6 trans having the longer input shaft like the '93(?)+ V8 trans. The input shaft is way too long and the trans would not seat against the adapter.

I didn't think the 4cyl input had to be swapped...but is it the fine spline? I don't remember the difference between the V8 trans & 4cyl trans except maybe the spline count.

I didn't think the 4cyl input had to be swapped...but is it the fine spline? I don't remember the difference between the V8 trans & 4cyl trans except maybe the spline count.

V8 and 4cyl have the same spline count and I think almost identical length. The difference between them is the tip diameter.

For a 4cylinder, use the ranger diesel input shaft bearing.

Are you sure you're depressing the clutch enough? Did you customize the throwout bearing or get an adapter. It doesn't reach far enough in usually.

Also I'm not sure about your setup, but you need to match the thickness of the disc to the pressure plate, if you don't match them then you can shim the pressure plate literally using small washers to achieve some distance. Otherwise the plate won't disengage.

I'm using a Yoshi fab disc it's similar to size next to a stock luk disc. I'm using a stock Volvo 240 pilot bearing which fits on the shaft tight. I spaced the pivot ball cause It wasn't depressing enough. Didnt remove the input shaft so don't know gear spline count. I thought I read some where it may be to long and put pressure on the input shaft.

I can't remember for sure but I THINK my input shaft was 7.18 inches.

Check online for the length of 4 cyl t5s... maybe look at a couple listings on summit for some replacements or something and see if they provide dimensions.

If the shaft is too long, then it could be grinding against the block itself, but my GUT says that it would wayyy too long because it's a difference of like and inch or two with these trannies.

I would definitely check the length of it, see if there's any wear on the end to signify it grinding against the block. See if the pilot bearing spins freely. Also look at the clutch, the fingers should be sticking out slightly. When I first installed mine, the disc was way too thick so the fins were basically below the plate itself and I was like, "What is this sh*t"

But if you haven't shimmed the throw out bearing or gotten a custom one, definitely look into that. When you shim the fork it brings the whole thing forward, the window for that fork is small. I remember trying to shim the fork as well and it would hit against the end of the window. I ended up taking it all off and doing it right by making a shim for the throwout bearing to rest on. My solution wasn't formula 1 but it's had 0 issues so far.

My guess is that the throwout bearing isn't putting enough pressure and distance on the pressure plate to disengage it enough. When you push the pedal in you SHOULD be able to feel a very distinct feedback through the pedal which will tell you if it's being depressed. It'll go from kinda tough to a lot tougher.

Guess I'll be pulling the trans for the 50th time lol. Check for wear on the end of the input shaft. I looked in the fork hole it seems to be pressing all th way and don't hit the bell housing it's self. I had a half inch spacer on it and it seemed like way to much so I put a shorter spacer in. The pedal bottoms out

Easy test to see if the input shaft is bound up and causing issues:

Lift rear of car. Put car in 4th or 5th gear, and have someone press in the clutch pedal. Then see if you can rotate the wheels by hand, then see if you can rotate the driveshaft.

If this is difficult, then the input shaft is getting bound up, or the clutch isn't releasing properly

Back