• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Early M46 Short Throw Shifter

jfry

Anyone ever install a short throw shifter on an early m46. By early I mean with the slide type of od button. I'm thinking a SAM or Craving Boost style shifter with new bushings. Had discussed it with The Aspirator when he was doing CB and he believed the bushings it the cage was different between early and later shifters. Anyone know for sure? Maybe I can swap cages?

Not only are the shifter balls and bushings different sizes, the cages mount differently as well. I think you're SOL if you want an aftermarket shifter although Homer should be able to modify a stock one for you.

GR-49267.jpg
GR-66749.jpg

How early is early? 1976-78, or 1979-80? 1979-80 uses the more common rear mount shift linkage cage bracket, but has the early knob and switch. If the former, then, yes, you'll need to see if Jacob can modify one for you. If the latter, then you're ok.

-J

How early is early? 1976-78, or 1979-80? 1979-80 uses the more common rear mount shift linkage cage bracket, but has the early knob and switch. If the former, then, yes, you'll need to see if Jacob can modify one for you. If the latter, then you're ok.

-J

Finally, Some good news. Its 79-80. I have an m46 out of a 740 so I was going to throw that in when its clutch time which is coming up soon. Maybe I'll just stick with the earlier m46.

The older box is better. Doesn't have the Diesel 1st gear ratio. I actually have an '80 box with a rebuilt overdrive that will be going into my 245 sometime this year. Yeah, I'll lose the 22mm hex drain and fill plugs, but I'll have the 3.71:1 1st gear ratio.

So, if you have an early-early box, is it possible to swap the input shaft with a later one so you have many splines? Any other internal differences that matter?

Why would you want to do that? Just get a 1979-82 non-turbo box and call it good. The 1976-78 box is weaker. Has three shift forks inside instead of just one. Only thing worth grabbing from one would be the 1st gear, if low mileage or NOS.

^There is that.

I guess those of us in the PacNW are fairly lucky. Right now, in my garage, I have an '80 M46 waiting to go into my 245Ti, and there's an '81 242DL that just got put into one of the local yards with the same style M46 in it.

-J

Back