• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Got some stuff accomplished - helrazor's '90 700

Car is lookin' good! Any updates?

Yah I just put my snow tires on! Can't wait for that stuff.

Other than that, I have an upgraded turbo and a IPD camshaft sitting on the workbench ready to go in but it's been too wet out for that :-P

#8 PROJECT - REPLACE DYING T25 WITH 15G:
I removed the old T25 Sunday afternoon, then installed a 15G on the next Sunday between rain showers. Every part I knew I might need, I sourced weeks beforehand. I did not run into any snags at all. This swap could not have been any more mechanically straight forward. I feel silly posting pictures 'cause I'm probably what?.....the millionth to slap in a 15G. I am no pioneer, this thread is more for my own fun, to keep a log of my progress. I got a clocked 15G from a CA TB member, way cool. I decided to split the turbo all the way apart to learn more about it, so it being pre-re-clocked probably wasn't needed. Oil lines, I discovered that my existing T25 in-feed oil line would work with the 15G so I kept that line on the car. The oil return tube is different though, the 2 bolts that secure the return tube to the turbo are spaced differently so I did need to use the return tube off a 13C set up. As far as the water lines....the T25 banjos are bigger, so I had to use both water lines from a 13C also. INSTALL/FIRST PICTURE: I caught a hint from an AZ member and decided to install the hot side turbine housing by itself, I tightened it down, connected the downpipe, and I decided to work my OUT from there. I never had to remove the hot side turbine housing again. See below how the in & out oil lines are right where they need to be, this made placing & 'clocking' the center section easy.
IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg

That same Sunday I got it running sweet with no adjustments except to the MBC. I'm running 14 pounds of boost, no knocking at all no matter what I do.
So now I will compare the 15G with the T25. Keep in mind my 740 has a manual transmission so early RPM's play a part: My first impression with the 15G is that the 'right off the bat' boost is not there anymore. I gotta say the T25 is an awesome little turbo, and it kicks in right now and hard. But when the 15G does kick in it pulls way harder, the spool on the 15G is well worth the wait. It's a great upgrade.

how is the car liking that BOV considering its not recirculated ??
I have since removed the after market blow-off valve. With the BOV on I did notice that the car would die sometimes when coasting or coming to a stop.

Next project - IPD Turbo Cam, it's been sitting on my shelf for a long time, it's time to get it in...........

Last edited:
Great Progress, Love this car. Currently Looking for a turbo 744 to have my first turbo'ed Volvo.I've been on craigslist and kijiji since i read this thread.

If i buy another car for a DD i will be doing pretty much the same exact stuff. Awesome, simplistic, and clean build. Keep up the great work! You're going to love the cam! Big difference. But i do have to warn you it is in essence like the t25 vs the 15g that cam will have a lot less low end power but much more up top. It will change you're driving style. Also after the cam your car would benefit from a 3" downpipe.

What plugs are you running and how old? I changed my plugs the other day and was surprised to find how much smoother my car ran.

And what octane of fuel are you using?

If i buy another car for a DD i will be doing pretty much the same exact stuff. Awesome, simplistic, and clean build. Keep up the great work! You're going to love the cam! Big difference. But i do have to warn you it is in essence like the t25 vs the 15g that cam will have a lot less low end power but much more up top. It will change you're driving style. Also after the cam your car would benefit from a 3" downpipe.
What plugs are you running and how old? I changed my plugs the other day and was surprised to find how much smoother my car ran.
And what octane of fuel are you using?

Word on the low end/top end difference as far as the cam goes, I am expecting just as you say. The plugs are about a year old, that's about when I arrived at Stage Zero. I remember doing a lot of searching here and ended up installing NGK brand, I don't remember what type, I think I stayed away from the platinum but I can't remember. I just looked at them a few days ago, they are nice and tan and wearing as they should be. A 3" DP is part of the plan but I want to lose the conical turbine housing and mate the DP to a flat flange housing because it looks to flow way better than the conical.

Added a few pics to the NPR install section, apparently my install is something to shoot for. I've seen a couple installs that looked just as good though, there's a Green car somewhere that looks just as clean.

Last edited:
Haven't been in to see this thread before, but... Everything looks great! Except the "trick" with the springs. Seriously though, car looks good, I like what you've done with it so far and am excited to see it on the dyno soon!

We need to have a work day to get rid of your lowering job and do it the "right" way by cutting coils. Haha.

Back