• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Not quite normal 245.

?317 delivered, I got them from Brookhouse Volvo, but he got them from Sweden, he said they were hard to find as there is not much call for them.

Mike, remember to give Ruth a hug of biblical proportions for this (as married stuff is always a joint decision). Good job you married her as she's definitely a keeper!!!!

Update

Mike, remember to give Ruth a hug of biblical proportions for this (as married stuff is always a joint decision). Good job you married her as she's definitely a keeper!!!!

Yep, do everyday. She has her drumming and I have my Volvo, it works out great.:)

Went over to Griz towers today as I have been itching to get started on the car itself.

It looked in a pretty sorry state with algae and snail trails all over it. The bonnet vents were full of leaves and rotting organic matter with woodlice crawling around in it.

I used my petrol leaf blower to suck most of the leaves out then flushed the rest down into the sills (will get them later)

Gave it a quick but comprehensive wash and got all the green gunk out of the corners and form round the trim and window seals with a soft dustpan type brush.

Dirty
DSC04301.jpg

DSC04305.jpg

DSC04300.jpg

Cleaning
DSC04304.jpg

DSC04306.jpg

Clean

DSC04308.jpg

There is a rust problem with the tailgate slam panel, I want to fit the bumper more flush with the rear of the car (or remove it) so removed the rear trim and cut all out all the rusty bits in preperation for welding in new metal, I also went over the rear arches with the grinder to investigate their condition, mediocre, with signs of previous tidying (filler and antirust) under the blistering paint.

After grinding.
DSC04310.jpg

DSC04318.jpg

DSC04316.jpg

Thinking
DSC04320.jpg

More cleaning

DSC04324.jpg

DSC04327.jpg

I will do more soon, the clock is really ticking now.

Last edited:
It's 3 in 1 foaming solvent degreaser, it comes in an aerosol and squirts out in a good straight stream to get into the nooks and crannies, I love it.

EDIT, its "3 in 1" as in the little bottles of oil you can get not Hammerite

Last edited:
DSC04282.jpg

Just looking at this picture.
I am doing a similar thing with my head. I have been hunting around for one exhaust valve as I thought I may have possibly scraped off all the thermal coating.
It looks like you have done the same on all yours. Or... do they not actually have a thermal barrier coating? I was informed in another thread that they do have.
Hmm..

Rob

I think the term is sodium filled but I dont really know what that means, I have only followed the procedure in the Haynes and lapped the valves as you would any valve, I lapped until the pitting was gone.

As far as I'm aware all the other stuff I cleaned off was carbon deposits.

I did the same to a turbo head previously and it was fine.

Pete surprised me today by turning up out of the blue with the turbo he sold me.

It turns out to a be TBO3.

Get in!
DSC04331.jpg

Now I can sort the Oil feed and drain

Thanks Pete.

Is Ruth an experienced drummer, or a rookie? I've played since I was about 8, so if she's learning and wants some lessons, I'd be most happy to help out.

Arrrgh...there's something about a 245. I did like the way mine looked (dents & rust aside)...I just wish it were a bit 'tighter'. I keep having the urge to do mine what you're doing to yours, and replace the S70 with it...but I know I'd miss the refinement, economy, good stereo, great interior, etc...

cheers

James

they do have a coating of something i forget how to spell but beings with an S.

but i lapped mine in on the 531 with no worries

I have been hunting about on the www about this
I think the exhaust valves may be stellite coated as well as sodium filled.
The stellite coating makes the valve hard enough to survive without lead in the fuel.
As far as I can work out it is similar to a thin case hardening so it is probably ok to clean off the carbon deposits but not ok to reshape the valve or give them too much sandpaper grief.
It might also be a Volvo 'overkill' thing to make them do a bazzilion miles.
That is all I have found out and might not be exactly right.

Rob

Is Ruth an experienced drummer, or a rookie? I've played since I was about 8, so if she's learning and wants some lessons, I'd be most happy to help out.

Arrrgh...there's something about a 245. I did like the way mine looked (dents & rust aside)...I just wish it were a bit 'tighter'. I keep having the urge to do mine what you're doing to yours, and replace the S70 with it...but I know I'd miss the refinement, economy, good stereo, great interior, etc...

cheers

James

She plays Djembe, a west African drum. (mainly Gambia, Guinea and Senegal)

She wants to learn Kit drums but we dont have the space, she had a little go on a friends Electric drums and got on very well with them.

Screw the refinement, its work sacrificing all that stuff just to see the looks on road users faces.:rofl:

I have to add,

Pete also brought me this intercooler!

DSC04338.jpg

Thanks again Pete:rockon:

I have been hunting about on the www about this
I think the exhaust valves may be stellite coated as well as sodium filled.
The stellite coating makes the valve hard enough to survive without lead in the fuel.
As far as I can work out it is similar to a thin case hardening so it is probably ok to clean off the carbon deposits but not ok to reshape the valve or give them too much sandpaper grief.
It might also be a Volvo 'overkill' thing to make them do a bazzilion miles.
That is all I have found out and might not be exactly right.

Rob

It does say in the manual only to do a very light lapping using only fine paste, but to clean mine up I had to go at them quite a bit using coarse and fine with a drill fitting to the lapping tool thing in order to clear up the pitting. a light lapping would have been insufficient.

I guess if you really want to be sure there's no alternative to a full rebuild (new guides, valves and seats)

Doing it the homebrew way is cheeeaapp and I've done it now so **** it.

It does say in the manual only to do a very light lapping using only fine paste, but to clean mine up I had to go at them quite a bit using coarse and fine with a drill fitting to the lapping tool thing in order to clear up the pitting. a light lapping would have been insufficient.

I guess if you really want to be sure there's no alternative to a full rebuild (new guides, valves and seats)

Doing it the homebrew way is cheeeaapp and I've done it now so **** it.

It is what I am also going to do :)

Rob

How cool! I've had a drumming hiatus since 2002, but I've recently got back into it. I don't play in the house, but I've (sort of) managed to find space to store them.

I know what you're saying Mike...but I've got 8 cars...at least one of them ought to be refined / quiet / sensible :rofl: I do have a pretty good collection of 'silly' cars :) I'm sure I could get a 245 to be good enough in that role, but I'm not sure I have the patience while working on everything else. I might run mine for a little while (get a few load-hauling jobs done) before I sell it once it has been MOT'd.

cheers

James

Well it depends on what you do and don't count. One of those is being scrapped, and another is either being sold or scrapped fairly soon. Depending on what I get rid of in the next few months, it may go down as low as 5. I'm contemplating a much needed purge...

cheers

James

Back