• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Here we grow again! 1994 940

-T? Why? I'm going to re-T it. Insurance on the turbo cars isn't that high - about the same as my old Dodge minivan.

Pulled the valve cover last night and proceeded to do the following... :bleh::freak::barf::run::help:

94940Motor003.jpg

94940Motor001.jpg

94940Motor002.jpg

That's gonna take a LOT of scrubbin!

So let's add bearings and oil pump to the list and do this puppy right!

Cleaning and diassembly fun...

Dirty Girl:
100_3258.jpg

100_3257.jpg

Mmmm... Crusty!
100_3262.jpg

100_3260.jpg

After the first pass with the pressure washer:
100_3261.jpg

100_3263.jpg

Pistons and head get cleaned this weekend. Debating whether I should port-match this one or not. I probably will just cuz I'll kick myself if I don't.

Oh yeah, someone likes the orange gasket-maker goop.
100_3265.jpg

Most of the sludge is now gone from the bay and the engine is ready to pull except for the tranny/block bolts and motor mounts.
She comes out this weekend.

frequent short trips??? seen a motor sludged like that once, car was driven by an old lady and her trips were only to the grocery store, plus a few 2-3miles trips during the week.
that engine was totally gunked!!!

So far the oil coming out of the oil pan is a lot less chunky than what was in the head. I'll clean it with wire brushes, degreaser, gasoline, acetone - whatever it takes!

No idea if there were short trips or what, but I found the chewed up remains of the ring off an oil bottle inside the head. I think that explains the plastic shavings pretty well.

Started cleaning the pistons with the wire brush in the drill. Those are coming out nicely!

So far the oil coming out of the oil pan is a lot less chunky than what was in the head. I'll clean it with wire brushes, degreaser, gasoline, acetone - whatever it takes!

No idea if there were short trips or what, but I found the chewed up remains of the ring off an oil bottle inside the head. I think that explains the plastic shavings pretty well.

Started cleaning the pistons with the wire brush in the drill. Those are coming out nicely!

acetone is great for cleaning up many different things.
i used it to make my leather seats nice and tacky and to take off residue/imperfections before i coated them and changed them to black.

You got your work cut out on that one. Better to do it all now than later down the road when your daughter is out in it. Nice work as always you've got started there.

Thanks!

It's honestly not as bad as the 88 745 was. The pistons and valves look WAY better on this one and have been a lot easier to clean thus far. Just sludgy up top.

I'm gonna be a little sad to turn this one over to her. :-(

Suuuure, let her buy her own POS so I can work on that all the time?

Look at it this way... I buy the car, I fix the car, I control the car.

The Chris giveth, the Chris taketh away. The Chris maketh the plush interior and the smooth running engine to carry his people in style and comfort. The Chris is good.

Besides, the Wife says so.

Back