• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Good junkyard turbo for b230ft

IWantedAnAE86

Hi guys! I'm planning a build for an '89 740 turbo. And I'm trying to make the the most power that I can on a budget, the build would consist of an '89 b230ft (may upgrade to 13mm rods later if necessary), ported and polished 530 head, V cam, bigger intercooler with necessary piping, and a 3" turbo back exhaust. Now where I'm stuck is what turbo I should choose as the I know the stock turbo is quiet anemic, but I can't afford to buy something brand new to slap in, so I would much prefer something I could pull from a junkyard/pick-n-pull. I would like something that would get me to atleast the 250hp range, but I would love to venture into the 300s. I live in Canada if that helps, should I pull a turbo from something like a Ford 7.3 turbo diesel or would that just be way too big? Sorry if I sound a bit turbo clueless, I've always been an N/A guy. Thank you in advance for your help!

when you can make your own header, you could try a TD05 16G from a mitsubitsi EVO

good for a quick spool and 300hp. only problem its not a t3 flange. so its not easy bolt on.

I've got a Holset HE351CW I'd sell for cheap.

If you're pulling a stock diesel turbo in the yard, a good rule of thumb is to double the displacement of the gas motor you want to boost, and look for a stock diesel turbo in that range. The HE351CW is from a 5.9 Cummins and is a little on the large side of that rule of thumb, but people have great results with them.

What would you guys says is the best direct bolt on replacement?

15g hotside 19t coldside like mine :). Or 15g all around.

Im stuck around 200+ hp because of blown turbo or something of the sort. Gl going past 250. Most people are happy around there but i think you start hitting the limitation of the b230ft tractor motor and ecu. I think its perfect for a budget though.

Im stuck around 200+ hp because of blown turbo or something of the sort. Gl going past 250. Most people are happy around there but i think you start hitting the limitation of the b230ft tractor motor and ecu. I think its perfect for a budget though.

15G at 16psi w brown tops is a lot of smiles per mile.

Or marry a Ford 60 trim compressor to a volvo garrett hotside. Just did this, and it should flow to the 300-325hp range. Any more that that and it really starts to tax the efficiency of the 60 trim T3.
Thats when you pull an S200 schwitzer airwerks off the shelf...:cool:

I like the sound of this, I think I might throw in a 15g for now and get a 19t when I'm willing to do some work on the bottom end.

Back