• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v turbo faq

GEMorris said:
Yeah, an edis how to would be rad too,

you know for complete morons like myself who can't figure anything out even with a writeup.
If anybody would like to make a thread about what EDIS is and how it works and what us 240 guys need in order to get it done in LAYMANS terms that would be great....

I would love to be like, "yeah man, EDIS is the shizznizzle" but I have no idea what the hell it is. And if it IS so easy than explain to me what I should know.

I have already hacked the firewall and I have already tried to grind down some of the water neck on the cylinder head before I remembered I was using a 700 block and the intermediate shaft doesn't have any gears for the dizzy anyway...LOL. If this 'EDIS' thing is so easy than I have to know about it. I have 3 weeks to get my engine running before I bring it down to get the new headeer built and I have EASY access to one of the best junkyards in my area as well. YOUR COOPERATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED....

Picture of dizzy mounted on front of 16v head

I've heard it mentioned a few times but until recently haven't seen an example of distributor mounted on the front of the head. Here's a link. The purple 142 has the dizzy hanging off the front of the head and a nice holset hanging off the side as well as dual carbs...nice!

http://www.cc.puv.fi/~e0000508/porikuv1.htm
http://www.cc.puv.fi/~e0000508/volvo16vkone.JPG

that's all i have to add besides this random link...16v b20 head pictures and other?
http://web.telia.com/~u24013086/toppar/

curtis m. white

alright, I went to "u-wrench-it" today and picked up a VR sensor, an EDIS-4 module, a coil-pack and the harmonic damper pulley w/ 36-notched wheel.....holla-holla-holla-holla....

2 questions:
1.) How do you detach the notched wheel thingie from the damper and hollow out the inside in order to attatch it to the volvo crank pulley?

2.) How do you attach it to the volvo crank pulley?

The above FAQ text isn't all that thourough in explaining that to me (sarcasm).

...I really am excited about this however, and I kind of wish I would have found out about this a little bit earlier because this is some sick ****t...

i hate to clutter up a clean thread but...

2 questions related to source information.

1. where does the fact/idea that B234F castings are uneven come from? sweeden?

2. why exactly is the external oil pump less desireable? sweeden again?

because i suspect the oil pump in the B234F would not be inferior because the engine actually has a valve train to lubricate. and i suspect the casting issue would have more to do with pushing 600 hp through a b234F and then the block cracked.... much like a B230 might. rather than making something with at most 350 hp because us americans sucks at spending the big bling on volvo horsepower.

also i will delete this post if asked.

Last edited:
fyi,
bmw s14 m3 valves are a relative drop in for oversized and also material upgrades.
renault f2n engine / volvo 360 valve tappet will also fit for a solid lifter upgrade. shims are n/a in usa though.
these statements are tested to be true.

i hate to clutter up a clean thread but...

2 questions related to source information.

1. where does the fact/idea that B234F castings are uneven come from? sweeden?

2. why exactly is the external oil pump less desireable? sweeden again?

because i suspect the oil pump in the B234F would not be inferior because the engine actually has a valve train to lubricate. and i suspect the casting issue would have more to do with pushing 600 hp through a b234F and then the block cracked.... much like a B230 might. rather than making something with at most 350 hp because us americans sucks at spending the big bling on volvo horsepower.

also i will delete this post if asked.

The external pump is less desireable due to early problems with the gear breaking and lobbing the timing belt off, also its one more thing to leak on the outside of the motor, etc.

Dick prince started the uneven casting rumour a long time ago, and then recanted later on when he found out the problems he was experiencing were due to something else.

fyi,
bmw s14 m3 valves are a relative drop in for oversized and also material upgrades.
renault f2n engine / volvo 360 valve tappet will also fit for a solid lifter upgrade. shims are n/a in usa though.
these statements are tested to be true.

Slight correction needed here for those who got the 300series Volvo in their home market.

The 360 uses a B200 redblock and the lifters are the same as every other redblock, so not suitable.

The 1.4l 340 uses a nasty little pushrod engine and is consequently not suitable either.

The 1.7l 340, however, has the lifters that fit- along with most of the Renaults made in the 80's and 90's and some of the 400 series Volvos.

Back