• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Slammed to lifted 740 wagon

Truly. I know it affected the mileage but I don't worry about measuring it with the exception of this simple formula:
It's better than the mileage my 242 gets.

Yeah thats true, but I was wondering would it be more efficient due to the bigger wheels or would it be less cause of the extra power needed to get it at speed.

Yeah thats true, but I was wondering would it be more efficient due to the bigger wheels or would it be less cause of the extra power needed to get it at speed.

Very good thought. With the 235/75's I got 300mi to the tank. With the 30's I get much worse. They're new so they're heavier and bigger. The LM7 will take care of it.

Has anyone put an 8.8 in their 7/9 series on here? I know you've got to shorten one side with a 240 but I'm not sure with my car. Lead me to threads.

When I first lifted my wagon, I installed 30x9.5 and then stepped down to 235/75's. Both of those tires killed my performance and mileage since I still had the aw71 in it. Once I installed the M46, my performance and mileage increased greatly, and it only got better when I stepped down into 225/75's.

I just barely missed the light. LM7 progress is slow. I've got a lot to get still but I'm apparently getting around 22mpg with the b230 after figuring out the distance I travel due to the tires.

5948f10880a411e39824129e84bc63a5_8.jpg

I really like the car and am trying to do something similar. I just got my 235/75-15's on my 740 sedan, just all terrains though. So you have not corrected your speedo?

Really nice cars here :cool:
Looking forward to lift mine a few inches..

But has anybody put a awd into a 240/740/940? Would be awesome if there is some kind of build thread or something on the net..

Has anyone decided what the best rear shock absorber is for the lifted 740? I have tried some sad aftermarket shocks for a 245 and again some used Dodge Durango shocks and neither have been much help at keeping the rear end stable. My max extension should be about 20.75" so the stock shock is about 2 inches too short. It seems as though Volvo used the only shocks with the 12 mm sleeve but I have swapped out the sleeves in the other ones as well so that's no biggie. I'm ready for something new now so what have you guys proven to work and work well?

Thanks!

\\edit\ Might have answered my own question here. I spent a couple of hours scouring the Monroe specification chart and may have a winner. To avoid false information, I plan to order and install the shocks first before posting part numbers. Kinda cool what the 'other' shocks fit, though....

Last edited:
Yeah, would be kind if you could post a short report about your experience with the shocks, springs ect :)

Well, I may never get the opportunity to find out if these new shocks would work or not. I have become bored with the lifted wagon though I am not sure how. I have an extra set of strut tubes at home and I may decide to go low again for a while to respark my interest in it. I still have a set of cut springs for it that I had on it before the lift, but I would need to source a set of wheels and tires for it, preferably in a 17".

So, I will pass the torch for now and allow my research to be put to use on someone else's lifted 740.
After researching, I find that the rear shocks from a Volkswagen Vanagon should bolt right on to the 740, but you will need spacers for the lower connection at the trailing arm and a single spacer at the top to make up for the shorter sleeve in the VW shocks. The Vanagon only weighs roughly 300lbs more than the 745s o the rate should be damn close. And the shocksa are listed to be just over 2" longer than the 740 shocks are. If you raised your 740 higher than 2", you can opt for the shocks from the 4WD version of the Vanagon and they will give you added length.

I wish you luck and please do not hold me responsible for any issues or damage/injury from taking my advice. This is an experimental shock for a modified car.

KYB Part# KG5557 1980-1991 Volkswagen Vanagon

Hello all, I've picked up a 244 as my daily driver until the 740 is all ready to go. Here's a picture. It's a pile of crap. Looks even worse near a 2001 740i.
c3fc7efca65111e3af9412422c162709_8.jpg

Slammed to Lifted to Slammed

Well this weekend I decided to get out in the garage and bring my wagon back down closer to the pavement. There were two different ways I could have gone:
1. Spend $75 for the Vanagon shocks and be happy with a lifted wagon.
2. Use the spare strut tubes in the garage and give it a different perspective.

I decided to go with option #2. Then I chopped two coils off of the stock springs all the way around. 3 hours later, I stole the AREs off the 242 and gave it a test drive, then I knew this was the right thing for me. The lifted wagon was a fantastic idea and I enjoyed driving it very much. But in this area I never really got it off road except for medians, my side yard or the occasional Prius. But my driving style leans more toward fast cornering and rapid lane changes. I will retain the lights and mudflaps for a while, maybe longer.

Sorry to jump ship on you guys, I just had to go my own way....

pics suck due to the horrible lighting last night

picture.php

picture.php

This is the thread I have needed to come across. Funny to see the ikea mudflaps and white omegas. I am currently running the red cutting mats and a set of Novas, but the plan has always been white omegas. Great minds think alike. I am planning on running grabber at2's, so I was excited to see some advice on fitting those. Somebody needs to start a thread similar to NASIOC's "rally prepped" thread, where people can post pictures, and wheel/tire/suspension setups. Almost functions as a database of sorts

Last edited:
Here's an update. I've got an MA5 out of a Solstice that's going into it. I'm building the LS like 55superbeetle/sloppy mechanics. It seems that's a pretty solid way to go. I'm shooting for 500whp to begin with, maybe a touch more. In the meantime I've been making the 240 better. I built a lift kit for the front out of 3/16 stainless and I tig welded it. I fixed all the gauges in it and just put some new tires on it. After the 740 is finished I'm going to turbo it.

Here's some welds.
927963_617136865048165_1543018605_n.jpg

10375787_310718992420339_394999238_n.jpg

925874_1497585970455009_333084856_n.jpg

I built a thru axle adapter since they're $60 and it's stupid easy to make out of scrap stainless.
10155709_801289507831_3010185606767752020_n.jpg

The MA5. 34k miles on it. Hopefully it's as good as an R154.
10369321_491300207668553_206462731_n.jpg

928286_535911083204242_1875567243_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back