• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Qwkswede's 1992 244 daily driver. Back to my rolling roots.

Are you seriously considering NOT slapping a turbo into it? Driving these old cars is also a good lesson in why turbos are so awesome. :D

Oh no, that would be silly. See post 11 for parts collection pics. I'm Just gathering the last couple pieces and might get started this weekend even. The only thing slowinge down is the lack of 240 turbos in the junkyard these days. I'd like to find proper radiator and Intercooler brackets, a turbo windshield wash bottle, oil cooler, maybe a t cam. The performance is quite pathetic now.

Driving these old cars is a good lesson in conserving momentum. Don't touch the brakes unless you really need to, and carry as much speed through corners as you can. The price to gain back those lost 10mph is pretty high.

Which is why it's so, so frustrating when the person in front of you goes 50mph down the straights and 40mph through the corners :pow:

I spent some hours on the suspension this weekend. I gave the rear pivots the Wagonmeister treatment. I replaced all 4 upper torque link bushings and the 2 big lower trailing arm bushings. Everything was replaced and upgraded to polyurethane bushings bought from David Samuels aka Wagonmeister. The old bushings did not look that bad but there was alot of popping and clunking in the rear. Its all gone now, very solid feeling and it doesn't step sideways in corners if you hit a bump.

IMAGE_1128.jpeg

I took a couple days off waiting for some parts to arrive and work on the garage. I picked up this old compressor that I hope will improve all kinds of air tool work in the shop. The thing is heavy and a sonofabitch to move.I need to pick up some rubber feet to isolate the noise from the floor and finish wiring it up. Damn thing takes up 1/2 a parking space in the shop, but should be a nice upgrade and last for ever.

Its an American made unit. The pump is Westinghouse, and they also saw use on train air brake systems. So tons of parts available if it ever needs a rebuild.

IMAGE_1129.jpeg

Sweet looking compressor there. Did the old craftsman bite the just or wasn't cutting it anymore?

Nice to also see my old +T parts live on.

I wanted more air power for sanding and spraying. It was time for an upgrade.
This car needs a +T so bad, I was glad my dad stashed all the parts away after wrecking the white wagon. That was sad.

Progress has been a been a bit slow lately, but this week I found a few minutes to get the oil pan ready for turbo drainage.

IMAGE_1221.jpeg

Hmmm. I do have a spare 16v head here somewhere. . . Bah, don't encourage me. I need to keep this one simple so I can get back to the Amazon.

I got the pan off and had a look inside. The oil pump seals were intact, so I didn't touch them. I did a quick visual and wiggle inspection of the rod bearings and crankshaft thrust. It all seems solid and ready for boost.

The freshly painted sump pan with drain hole was installed and I began assembling the car around the motor again. I am not convinced that it is easier to drop the pan to do this. Pulling an engine in a 240 is ppretty straightforward. Dealing with the subframe, steering, and all the mount stuff from underneath is a pain in the ass.

IMAGE_1223.jpeg

IMAGE_1224.jpeg

Certainly cast iron seems the way to go. Its a slick solution as long as you don't mind the port shape mismatch, and somewhat anemic flow paths in the 90+. But it seems a perfect compromise for reliability and daily driver happiness.

I've bee pretty happy with the adapter plate for my 16v. A hell of a mart stable then a built manifold regarding build quality.

I made some solid progress this weekend. I probably will not make my goal to have the car turbocharged by Thanksgiving. But I'm trying. Unfortunately I am missing a few items still, and also I need a few more nights of work.

I dropped the NPR intercooler in place, then realized that the NA fan shroud is really deep. I guess I'll need to find a turbo one. I never realized they were different. I have some brackets coming in the mail from a friend.

IMAGE_1227.jpeg

Turbo is installed!
IMAGE_1226.jpeg

And I got a downpipe assembled too.
IMAGE_1228.jpeg

Back