• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Interior Refreshening Project

I haven't yet. I am waiting on Lseat to ship them. I think it may be a small operation as the multiple times I have ordered from them they do take a while to build/sewn and ship...

I figured out a solution to my missing and NLA rear door drip/moisture barrier. I looked at drop cloths and vapor barrier at my local big box building supply store and everything I found was very thin, only about 4 to 10 mil... Then in a random thread on Rennlist, a Porsche forum, someone suggested using a shower curtain. A trip to Walmart and for $9.00 I bought the "heavy" duty variant and this was much thicker and close to the original's thickness.

I replaced the cracked shifter surround, though in a modified way. I grab these surrounds whenever I find a good one at my local pick n pull and have experienced that it's not unheard of to break the shifter handle trying to remove it. Not wanting to risk this with my handle I decided to modify my surround. On the face closest to the dash I cut a small slit that allowed me to spread the surround open enough that it slipped around the shifter stalk without having to remove the handle. I did this in a jig I made on my table saw with a very thin kerf blade, but a band saw would be preferred for an even thinner kerf. Once installed you can see a line where the spilt is, but not too noticeable. A small sacrifice for not having to risk breaking my shifter handle.

Attachments

• IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,139
Last edited:
Sometime the small finds are the most satisfying. Inside a cracked center console at the pick n pull was the cubby fabric insert that mine was missing. A quick cleaning with some dish soap and it was a good as new.

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 641
mblue240 got me thinking about Volvo speakers. I found these out of an 850 I think and hooked them up in place of the door speakers and they work. They could be mounted on the back shelf, but the metal under the shelf would have to be cut so they could be mounted flat and I am not sure I want to do that. I have to think on it.

Attachments

• DSCN2914.JPG
    DSCN2914.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 643
  • DSCN2910.jpg
    DSCN2910.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCN2908.jpg
    DSCN2908.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 643
Sometime the small finds are the most satisfying. Inside a cracked center console at the pick n pull was the cubby fabric insert that mine was missing. A quick cleaning with some dish soap and it was a good as new.

It's the little things that make it worth while. :)

I can't find a pic on google, but I think the 940 or 740 would have speakers for you. I've never owned those models, so I'm not super familiar, but I recall pulling out speakers that sat on the shelf. In all my years of hunting I've only found 1 set each of the speakers from my original post. When I flipped them on ebay I was surprised to find they paid for my next few junkyard trips.

I actually just found the correct 240 rear deck speakers out of a GL model that was in my local pick n pull. I will use the housings, but probably upgrade the speakers. Any suggestion on speakers?

Last edited:
The rear parcel shelf in the GL was beyond being usable, but it will serve as a nice pattern for cutting the holes in my shelf. The added benefit of the GL speakers are that I still get to move the speakers from the rear doors to the shelf and the holes are already in the rear shelf panel, so I wouldn't have to cut anything like I would to fit the newer 850 speakers. And all original 240 bits.

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 593
Does anyone know what these speakers looked like when new? It appears there was something glued on the top of the trim pieces? Whatever it was actually pitted the plastic, so I will probably just end up cleaning, prepping and filling in the imperfections with some spot putty and then priming and painting them.

Attachments

• IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 593
They had a ring with the word Volvo printed on it. Similar to this pic although I think the ring was a silver color.

I'm sure someone else will have the actual pics
s-l1600.jpg

Though it would be nice if they had the silver trim still on them, I feel for my purposes a good sanding, spot putty to fill in the minor imperfections, primed and then painted will be fine. These are after all hidden on the rear shelf behind the headrest, so sort of out of site. And I will probably paint them tan to match the rest of the interior.

The leather for the rear seat finally arrived. It has been "relaxing" in the hot sun in the car waiting for me to find the time to install it. In the mean time I cleaned and installed the final door panel on the driver's side and swapped out the black door locks for the tan ones that came in the 940 that I bought for the turbo motor.

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 528
Back