• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Serpentine Belt in 240

Serp belts are quieter and last a lot longer. Not sure what other benefits besides the fact that it looks awesome.

It's worth it just for the noise factor imo. I hate engine noises like that.
If I were to build a redblock for my self, it'd get a serp setup for sure.

Ill look into this once I get this next set of intakes out. Ill need a break from them forsure!

I'm sold...

Good question, Alden...

I wonder if one couldn't use a B234 bracket, which'll already bolt to the redblock, and just swap pulleys on the accessories and alternator.

I'm subscribing to this, as I'd like this setup, please! In the hopes that'll clear a Nathaninwa 16v intake manifold.

What would be the advantage of the B234 bracket?

It's a single, intake side, redblock specific accessory bracket...

Setup for air conditioning, power steering and alternator.

I don't know what OP did to make a 850, whiteblock accessory bracket bolt to his redblock...or was it mean't to be?

Just saying...for ease of installation, one could maybe start with the B234 accessory bracket, and sandwich his plate for the tensioner there. I dunno if you can just swap a pulley, but if so, swap your existing accessory pulleys with the serpzzz...

DSCF1976.JPG

I think adapting the 850 bracket (which is much more common and readily available) would be easier than adapting pulleys and a tensioner to the B234F bracket.

So there isn't yet a clear explanation of what was done to make the 850 bracket bolt to the redblock...isn't the bracket, just sandwiched between, in order to hang the tensioner pulley?

Were new holes drilled in the 850 bracket, to line-up with the redblock bolt holes?

I made a new bracket out of 1/4 aluminum that bolts to the block an then bolted the 850 bracket to that with some custom made spacers and a small mod to the 850 bracket. I made two different ones. One for a/c and one without a/c. One consideration is the intake tube, weather its NA or turbo, will have to be modified to fit around the ps pump. If someone wanted to get all of the accessories I could put together the brackets, spacers, fittings, modified pulleys and directions for a pretty good price either with or without a/c. Ill start pricing some of the items out and put a post in the for sale forum.

^ Some better pictures of clearance with intake piping would be a large help.

From the pictures, the PS pump doesn't look any more in the way than does on a 740 bracket.

Maybe detailed pictures of the assembly, off the car would clear up my questions.

I do however, really like it.

How long and how punishing have you tested it? Also concerned about the amount of belt on the crank pulley.

Keep us updated!

I'm also a little concerned about the amount of contact with the crank pulley.

Also, would the modification of the crank pulley work with both a B230 or a B21/23?

How about using a timing belt cover?

One might be able to use a longer belt...

wrap from the crank pulley, over the tensioner, then under the AC, around the alternator and around the PS pump...

Gets a little more contact with the crank pulley

I dont have an air intake so I don't know if it interferes or not just a concern. i'm putting together a second one right now. I will post some photos of the assembly and more photos of the parts. my car is a b23 and a timing cover wont fit. you have to trim the crank cover where it comes around the timing gear on the crank so the new pulley clears. I have been running this set up for about 3 weeks and I drive about 70 miles a day to work. As far as pushing it my car is the slowest Volvo in the world so it hasn't been pushed but i haven't had any problems.

Like I said...this is a interesting idea; I'd like to see it go further!

Maybe just a couple photos, showing, in general, the clearance around the PS pump and to the radiator...just to get an idea.

Ok I figured out a solution to increase the belt contact with the crank pulley. I'm going try to get a prototype this weekend along with some photo. I'm also going to install the non-ac version and take some photos of that too.

A double ribbed belt would do it. Creativity.

As in, a belt with ribs on both sides?

Then you could route from the Crank, over the tensioner, under the AC pump, to the left of the alternator and around the PS!!!

That's totally what I was thinking of too...

Just googled to see that there is such a thing as a 2 side serpentine belt.

Dayumm, I'd say count me in when this system is figured out.

Last edited:
Back