• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tightening M46 bellhousing top bolt

JimG

1986 740T M46, J-type o/d

I stumbled on to a way to install the top bellhousing bolt with a minimal amount of blood and profanity.

I had all the other bellhousing bolts installed (starter - 2, bottom pan - 2, others - 3). I had tried to install the **** thing from the top - forget it - too many wires and a/c tubing. I tried the "extension thru the shifter hole" approach solo - nobody to guide the socket - not gonna happen.

I was laying under the car on my creeper contemplating what I would like to do to some anonymous Swedish auto engineer - my feet sticking out under the front bumper. I found that I could get both arms around the bellhousing so I could get to the bolt with either hand. Em, grabbed a 19 mm 12pt offset box end wrench in the left hand and the bolt in the right. I could finger tighten the bolt with my right (new bolt). I could position the box end on the bolt with my left - using my right to keep the box on the bolt head. Surprise, surprise - I had over 90 degrees of free swing with the wrench to tighten the bolt. I found that I had pretty decent leverage to apply some good torque as well.

The bolt's in and tight (it's there for some reason).

hth,

JimG

Snoop Dougy Doug said:
you can also either:

1. Not put the top one back in
2. Get about a 2-3' long extension and a swivel, works fine too.

That bolt is the reason I own a 30" extension and a swivel joint...

I have 2 extensions 18" and 30" - neither worked real well with a universal. My mechanical charma was really suckin' this weekend.

JimG

Snoop Dougy Doug said:
you can also either:

1. Not put the top one back in
2. Get about a 2-3' long extension and a swivel, works fine too.

When I pulled my engine to swap, I made the mistake of not pulling the tranny with it. Needless to say, I chose option #1 :-D

If the shifter is out and you have the right extension, you can do it without even getting dirty. Well...sort of anyways. Get a buddy to lay under the car and put the socket/extension on the bolt. You sit inside the car and stick the ratchet handle through the shifter hole and snap it into the extension. Voila....told you that you wouldn't get dirty :-D

Your buddy under the car? Depends how clean your garage floor is, I suppose....

a mechanic forgot some pin on a transmission belhousing once in my jeep and it cracked the bell housing all the way around. and the damn guy took zero responsibility for it too.

It's considered bad form, but from underneath the car by the driver's side, use a 19mm socket on a swivel, connected to a 4" extension, connected to a swivel, connected to a 6" extension. I wouldn't under any circumstance use and impact gun on that combo but with a ratchet it will work.

Captain Bondo said:
It's considered bad form, but from underneath the car by the driver's side, use a 19mm socket on a swivel, connected to a 4" extension, connected to a swivel, connected to a 6" extension. I wouldn't under any circumstance use and impact gun on that combo but with a ratchet it will work.

Basically what i use, except I use wobble extensions and impact swivels (not as floppy). Never a problem to get to those bolts on top. The right tools make working on the car so much easier.

Dan242tic said:
The right tools make working on the car so much easier.

Yeah, this bolt is a non-issue with a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a 3 foot long 1/2 in extension. I also have a 1/2 inch 19 mm swivel bought just for this purpose.

edit:// In all fairness though, ^^^ is a $300 setup. You need that kinda thing though when you do it day in and out.

Last edited:
I just jack up the tranny to tilt the engine forward a bit and go at it from the top - never had much of a problem with that.

Back