• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Helping alternator

Well today I was tuning my car, to find the combo of LPG mixture, vacuum, and timing so I gave him hell lol every gear to rev limiter (first 3 at least), overheated brakes few times (damn traffic lights) but alt voltage didn't drop like it used to, it only drops when standing (obviously) gets heat soaked, but that disappears with a first streach of the road, so the plan is to make a collector behind the grill to scoop more air at low speeds of city driving.

Good idea! We need to do this on the General Leif. We built a heat shield but an air duct will be even better. We may have killed the alternator after the last race... It was only putting out 11.8V for the last hour of our race...
Please do tell the right word...
Sarcasm. :)

This is awesome! If BMW did it, then their has to be some advantage.

Don't understand all the haters in here. It's well known that when it comes to electrical parts cooler = better.

Seems like a good idea to me, and if it's working, great! I'd do this but I don't really want an extra pipe hanging around, I might try it out at some point though.

Good idea! We need to do this on the General Leif. We built a heat shield but an air duct will be even better. We may have killed the alternator after the last race... It was only putting out 11.8V for the last hour of our race...Sarcasm. :)

Maybe I could build you something more durable. Probably build you one fairly cheap that won't see the heat soak issues and will save you some HP.

The one we have is a super tiny one. I'll see if I can get more info on it at some point.

Back