• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'92 740 Project Turbo Wagen

A couple weeks back I fixed the hard-starting issue by replacing the ECT sensor, and cleaned the throttle-body while I was at it. This also shut off the check engine light, and she's now happily running out of limp mode :)

sdlr3s.jpg

rj1l50.jpg

2lkzihy.jpg

2zxro8g.jpg

Then cleaned the MAF thoroughly, disassembled and cleaned the air intake box, and replaced the engine air filter.

I was pleased with myself for fixing Wagatha's starting troubles, and that feeling lasted until she warmed up. Idle was up and down, all over the place... looks like I'll be cleaning the IAC and saying a prayer to the car gods. Hopefully I didn't break it while fiddling with the TB. Also need to replace the water pump in the next few days.

Yes looking good, but please replace that headlight switch... :barf:

Also FWIW, if that IAC doesn't fix the idle, try swapping out the ECU. I was at Chris (15A's) place once and he was trying to fix the same issue on a friend's car, swapped/cleaned the IAC, nothing... Last ditch swapped the ECU, fixed.

Looks mucho better clean

Thanks man! It's a pretty solid car, underneath the dirt and grime.

Yes looking good, but please replace that headlight switch... :barf:

First things, first. The water pump and ATF leak take precedence. I plan to fix up the interior quite a bit, eventually :)

Also FWIW, if that IAC doesn't fix the idle, try swapping out the ECU. I was at Chris (15A's) place once and he was trying to fix the same issue on a friend's car, swapped/cleaned the IAC, nothing... Last ditch swapped the ECU, fixed.

Noted, thanks! Will keep it in mind if a new IAC doesn't fix the problem.

I pulled and cleaned the original IAC. Took all of 15 minutes, and while the idle improved (the variance or swings/dips are much less noticeable now), the problem is still not fixed 100%. I'm assuming that since idle did improve, the IAC is the culprit, but you never know...

A few pics. Couldn't get a good before of the inside, as it was much darker:

20fzuwk.jpg

2e54pbb.jpg

2ujrw2o.jpg

Two new Sumitomo HTR mounted on the front, now matching the rear. The plan is to refinish the old Sirius wheels in black, and pop some newer center caps on them.

11rstu9.jpg

IAC was behaving nicely today, but the water pump is now critical. It's leaking at about a drip per second, so I need to deal with that, like yesterday :roll:

The ones on the car now? Or the Sirius that I'm planning to refinish?

After a respray, the Sirius wheels will wear V70 style small caps. I think they'll look great that way. The ones on the car now look better with the caps on, in my opinion... maybe it's just my ugly old wheel studs and lug nuts that are killing it for me.

Yes the Aries wheels, thought they looked better on my car like this.

Looks good! Though your wheels look like 16" as opposed to my 15", from that pic, at least. Maybe it's just the lower-profile tires. I run a 40 series on my Subaru, and my Volvo tires are 60's :lol:

When I can take some time to detail the wheels I'll pop the stock centers off and see how V70 small centers look on them. I also need to find a passenger side windshield trim piece, as the absence of one is becoming more conspicuous, the more the rest of the car shapes up...

Still been procrastinating on the water pump, though. Maybe this week :oops:

Last edited:
Thanks to billy780, I got a functional bit of replacement windshield trim and managed to re-install it without breaking all the clips.

The trick for those brittle bastards is a little bit of heat, and gently pushing up on them from the base. A body & trim tool is great, but a big screwdriver or small chisel with a rag around it works the same. If you're careful and don't push too hard, they'll slide up and off the metal post without breaking.

When putting them back on, make sure the windshield channel is clean, a little sealant or wax for protection never hurts. Install the clips first on the trim, lining them up above the posts in the channel, with a little floss or string laid perpendicular across/above each clip. This will serve to push them back down on the posts when you push the trim back into the channel.

Trim is now snugly installed, with 3/4 clips fully functional, and one with a broken collar:

iyzcyc.jpg

Apparently these are available from Volvo Classic now, but $$$, and I'd feel the need to replace all the trim with new to match. Not happening :-P

edit: Will try to continue with the smaller pics on this page. Feel like I should edit/replace on the first page but that's a lot of work :lol:

So I've been driving the car more as my Subaru has been out of commission. With funds allocated toward the Suby rebuild (fully built motor, large twin-scroll turbo, and fuel mods will be going in), progress on the Volvo has been only out of necessity. However, since, it's my main transportation now, it's got to get down the road somewhat dependably. My main issue, the leaky water pump, seems to have healed itself, likely the result of cutting the coolant I was putting in it with tap water.

Last month I replaced the brake booster, as well as the alternator and battery. Also got a BT radio for her, and will set about installing that soon. But first, the priority is new pads and rotors all around. Fluid, too. Then an alignment, because I got a new tie-rod inner & outer to replace the bent inner rod I have on my driver's side. Also a new set of endlinks because whatever bent the tie-rod also broke the DS endlink! Then on to the transmission leak at the prop-shaft... ok enough with the maintenance rant, here are a few bath pics:

hvqa0k.jpg

15qqmx1.jpg

29awufs.jpg

2ey7wbl.jpg

Last edited:
Some decent progress on the front end: new tie-rod inner and outers, boots, end links, ball joints, and behind that rusty dust shield, new hub assemblies, rotors, calipers, and pads, with all new hardware. Could benefit from a little chassis bracing, but overall she's handling better than expected.

2jbsmfm.jpg

New turbo & intercooler hoses next, as well as a valve shimming :oogle:

Here are a few interior before & afters, Wagatha cleaned up alright. Will scrub those dirty/coolant soaked carpets when I do the heater core.

ojl5zp.jpg

2sbsnjb.jpg

What did you use to clean your interior? My wagon is in need of a really deep clean and I?m not sure what or where to start.

Just a few damp microfiber hand towels, and a detail brush. Toothbrushes work well too, provided you're gentle. Compressed air also helps if you've access to it.

Really nice and clean car. And you have really healthy approach to it, I like it.

Mandatory Eurofag-rant:
"Wagen" is not a cool german word for wagon. "Wagen" just means "Car"... German (and for that matter, Swedish...) word for wagon/estate is "Kombi".

Cheers and keep up the good work.

I've been LatentWagen for quite a while actually. Prior to having a wagon! The nod was to the PatentWagen, which was also not a station wagon ;)

Back