• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Printed Parts Thread

Door Latch Cup.

When I open the driver door from the inside of my 240, what's the plastic piece called that sits behind the handle? Mine is cracked on the drivers side, and the one on the passenger side was so broken I just removed it. I think this piece could be made on one of those machines.

Those are common and cheap as chips, just find one in the junkyard or post in wanted and enjoy the race to the bottom for a little bit of your pocket change.

Here's a vent-gauge pod update. I had to use a phone without a flash to take this one so it's pretty crappy. But it's nearing completion and I will update you guys fully in the morning, tomorrow I'm making the 52mm ones so look forward to it. these ones are 38.1mm as a test (or if anyone wants one) either way I'll see how they fit in the morning. So far they are FAR stronger than the factory vent plastic, and a familiar color ;-).

30afmg9.jpg

Neat.

I might start drawing up a dash top pod. Luckily, the gauge bezel is already done, so I can just snag that design and clone it a couple times. The rest shouldn't be too hard. Printing it would be a challenge though.

Neat.

I might start drawing up a dash top pod. Luckily, the gauge bezel is already done, so I can just snag that design and clone it a couple times. The rest shouldn't be too hard. Printing it would be a challenge though.

Do you mean a 3 gauge pod that's dash mounted? if the face could be printed flat it would cut down on print time although anythings possible if you want to use support structures. My girlfriend just left for work so I just got up and made the 52mm vent gauge pod, The overall dimensions of the first prints were perfect , I made some size adjustments to the face of it and I'm printing it out now. propav8r I dont want to upload it to thingiverse for the world but I will gladly share the .stl with you if you would like one assuming I can reserve the right to sell them (these single gauge vent pods) myself, which is what I plan on doing.

Last edited:
OK guys, this is the final design, once it's done printing the first one I'll run out and make sure it fits correctly with a 52mm gauge mounted in it.

162329l.jpg

25zh07t.jpg

It can be mounted with a small piece of normal strength double sided tape or you can use one or both of the factory metal clips after bending the barbs in so they do NOT dig into the walls of the vent hole. If you install it with the barbs unbent you will NOT be able to remove the pod, probably ever, so please be aware of that. I'll post in the FS section later today once everything's finalized and I have enough light to take good pictures.

EDIT: you can probably get away with bending the barbs in nearly completely but leaving the tiniest amount to bite the walls of the vent if you want a more solid hold, but using both clips with the barbs bent down allows easy removal if you want/need to.

Last edited:
Hi, I`ve designed and 3D printed a "Piston install jig" fo easy installing your pistons with piston rings in to your engine.

The tool is tapered so the top is wider then the bottom. In this way you can easily fit the piston rings, slide it down and drop it in the bore. Tested it and works great.
The "bubbles" on top are for easily recognizing the top of the jig :)

Here we go, pictures are self explaining:

piston-jig-1.jpg

piston-jig-2.jpg

piston-jig-3.jpg

piston-jig-4.jpg

piston-jig-5.jpg

And an other piece of 3D that I`ve drawed lately, cuz the speaker caps are mostly gone...
The supports are different left and right and are trapezoid shaped so keep that in mind.

speaker-cap.jpg

So if i wanted to be able to get into this. Anyone wanna recommend a printer that could do most of the things in this thread.

These are primarily substitutes for plastic parts right? 3D printers print a plastic-like material, ya?

Eventually, we'll lose aftermarket support for metal parts, I imagine... the heavier pieces, like control arms and whatnot.

And eventually all electronic parts will be extinct, in which case nothing electronic in the car will be Volvo. Everything will have to be megasquirted and we'll be buying our relays from Target.

By then someone will have created a kit for an efficient electric motor swap. Its coming. Ive seen some crazy mods down at caffeine and octane. Various models with tesla drives.

Pretty much anything can do what's here.

It's important to have a couple things in your printer to make it easier though. A heated bed, a workspace that's at least 200x200 (if square), and a community to offer help with your specific model. A good starting point is a Creality Ender 3, which is unofficially the 'standard' printer. Parts are readily available, modifications are well documented, there are thousands of Youtube videos on every problem you could encounter, and the community is huge.

One thing to keep in mind is that the more exotic materials (Nylon, etc) require nozzle temperatures much higher than a standard printer can achieve, and are not a good idea for beginners. PLA is the default material, it requires no special preparations and is the best place to start because it's very forgiving :).

Back