• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Refill Your Engine Cooling System

Didn't watch the video, but newer cars with complicated systems almost require vacuum filling to avoid air locks. Old Volvos I've never had a problem just filling from the reservoir.

I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G

Ability to hold vacuum can also help tell you if there's a leak before filling the system again, but systems that use o-rings to seal things sometimes leak under vacuum but not pressure as they age/harden.

My other car is a first gen NSX. Engine in back, radiator in front, miles of coolant hoses & pipes and a number of drain ports and bleeder vents. A vacuum refill tool is the preferred refill method for refilling the system if you don't want to spend 1 hour + with the back end of the car up in the air with the engine idling waiting for a complete purge.

Two issues with the vacuum refill systems. First, you do need a mungo sized air compressor to make them work. That portable air compressor you use for your air nailer isn't going to do the trick. Second, the refill process goes so fast that the first bottle of new coolant mix empties in a jiffy and if you are not paying attention you end up sucking a whole bunch of air into the system and have to start the process all over.

On my 142 it is not going to provide a material time saving. On my NSX it provides a significant time saving and paranoia relief by reducing the fear that an air pocket trapped in a convoluted cooling system could do a number on a head gasket on an engine that is rather expensive to fix.

I put a shop vac to radiator once for I could change a heater hose out without loosing a bunch of antifreeze. Well it worked so well it sucked most of the antifreeze out. LOL

Back