• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jeep vs. Volvo Dana 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morley said:
Yes. With another carrier, the M90 will die first. The stock locker is worthless imho, won't lock over 40km/h. Get a nice lsd in there, and you'll be happy.

However, this also has to do with tires etc. With high drag radials, nothing will last.

Ahh right so the 1041 is a waste of time, but it is strong? what do you mad scandinavians do for LSD's in the stock rearend??
Griz

Everything actually. Some run with stock lsds with overtightened clutch packs, some go with a hella expensive Sellholm lsd, and the rest just welds the sucker up. What are your goals? Drag or turns?
If you're only planning on dragracing, weld it until you can afford something cool, or use the locker as long as it lasts. If you want to turn as well, you need a lsd. Absolutely.

There's a 142 with 700hp gt42 equipped I5 running mid 9s with a 1030 in Sweden.

Morley said:
Yes. With another carrier, the M90 will die first. The stock locker is worthless imho, won't lock over 40km/h. Get a nice lsd in there, and you'll be happy.

However, this also has to do with tires etc. With high drag radials, nothing will last.

You can just tighten the spring for the weight that unlocks the eaton e80. Then it'll hold on longer. I think it works very good. Since it has cluches it's easy on axles as well.

sorry to join this 1041 threadjack, but i think sam and kenny are running a 1041. i know sam said something about shaving off the weights inside the locker so they'd engage at higher speeds. but he did not suggest this method because it's a harsh ride for some reason

yep, that can be done. But I seem to remember a few posts on tpc about the stock lockers failing easily. Oh well. Griz should really just throw a 1041 in there and see how long it lasts.

And Mike, we're cluttering up your nice thread. You're welcome to split.

Well i have people on the look out for a 1041 backend, and theres one round the side of chesh's house i could steal.... yes i want to drive round corners please!! so no welding diff's up really. Then we shall think of another plan when that explode's
Griz

I run the Dana 30 REAR (www.reiderracing.com) in a volvo 1031 rear axle (93').
If you want to run el. speedo, you will have to mill off the diff.

I'm VERY pleased with the Dana TrueTrac LSD!! it's *oh so good*.
You hardly feel it at work and it assists you a great deal.

just remember to be a bit carefull doing corners in wet condidions, as it will scare you :p

guidom12345 said:
I am very interested in this one, guys. Some info I have right now is that all the CJ jeeps (1969-86) use the dana 30 std. The 88-95 XJ/YJ (wrangler and cherokee) have a reverse Dana 30. The ZJ (grand cheroke) uses a Dana 30 that is special to the ZJ. I also noticed the 67-71 Ford Bronco used the dana 30 std. Keep in mind this is all FRONT diff's, not rear.

My catalog says you should be able to find numbers stamped in the axle tube just to the right of the diff. It should be a number that starts with 60 or 61, then 4 digits, then a dash and then either 1 or two digits. This might not be the case in a volvo, but it should be there on Domestics. If somebody finds this number stamped into the rear axle on the volvo, please post. Then I can use that number to find out if I can get us some limited slips or lockers that will fit. And at a discounted price!

I've been using the Tru Trac Trac Tec diff in my 242ti for a few years now. It's the Jeep
CJ front application for Dana 30. It works great in a rear application. From what I understand
about this thread Mike is looking to find out if any of the ring and pinion gear sets also
fit a Volvo. IIRC, the last three numbers of my differential are 314. No preload like the rwd
Volvo version which had a 411 as the last three numbers. I'd love to try a preloaded one.
So if you need any information to order these differentials we have it. It's the gear sets
that are unknown.

With regards to the gear sets. When I bought my installation kit they sent me a
kit for standard Dana 30. One bearing worked and the other bearing was unique
to Volvo. This was the pinion bearings. At least that's what they told me.

Enjoy the road,

dlot said:

Enjoy the road,
I noticed the same thing, which got me interested in this project.

So far I have not found a low pinion axle with an owner willing to let me take it apart.

I might go junkyard dogging and look there, if nobody bothers me.

dlot said:
Originally Posted by dlot

mikep said:
I noticed the same thing, which got me interested in this project.

So far I have not found a low pinion axle with an owner willing to let me take it apart.

I might go junkyard dogging and look there, if nobody bothers me.

This, I am sure, is because the 242ti has a 1031 rear axle, and therefore a beefier pinion shaft/bearings and larger ring gear.

I'm ASSuming that a 1030 is 100% identical to a Dana30, alas, if you had a 1030 diff, your Dana30 pinion bearings would be a direct fit.

Somebody needs to measure up a 1030...

Any news about this really old thread?
I'm looking for a diff for my 1031, and the thought about other using DANA30 is getting me interested.

Originally some people were concerned about interchangeability with Jeep gear parts. They don't interchange between Jeep Dana 30 and Volvo 1030 because of the rotation.
The carriers interchange.

There are newer threads on the carriers, and Dave Barton has some info on his site.
Search for TruTrac, Locker, Limited Slip, etc.

Most diff parts places know about us by now.
I use Randy's Ring and Pinion, at ringpinion.com

Locking this one since it's 8 years old and there is better info now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back