• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aux Jack

bmos

I have a 1991 Volvo 740 Turbo that came to me with an aftermarket radio. After some searching, I managed to find a compatible stock radio (CR-718 supposedly out of a 1994 940) that works great (other than having to swap the accessory power wire pin to get the antenna going up/down). I'm trying to figure out how to get an aux jack with this setup before I resort to a 12v FM transmitter. Any thoughts?

The GROM adapter for 94-00 Volvos is apparently just for the 850s and has too small of a CD plug on the back.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/Qm6LaGG"><a href="//imgur.com/Qm6LaGG"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
What's wrong with the radio you already have?
The aftermarket one? I've yet to find an aftermarket radio that looks right to me in 80s/90s cars and definitely not one that works with the optional graphic EQ (which was one of the things that initially drew me to the car). I never really adjust it but it's very retro. I've been driving around listening to community radio and cassette tapes for about a year and a half now, just trying to expand my options without losing the period-correct vibe.

Get an alpine from the 80s
Did any retro radios have aux jacks? What would people even have plugged into them? It also wouldn't work with the Volvo graphic eq. Unless I get a killer deal on a rad vintage McIntosh I'm pretty set on using a 700/900 series radio with a full 780 swap being the holy grail.

Last edited:
Did any retro radios have aux jacks? What would people even have plugged into them? It also wouldn't work with the Volvo graphic eq. Unless I get a killer deal on a rad vintage McIntosh I'm pretty set on using a 700/900 series radio with a full 780 swap being the holy grail.

I have a module that plugs into the oem rear remote cd changer plug on my 91 780 that allows you to plug in an Ipod.
Patrick

Are you referring to the pre-lightning 30-pin connector from the 2000s? Is there a brand name?

Yes, the 30 pin connector.......prolly why i havent used it for several years since everything I use now has a lightening.

I believe it was USSPEC or something.....I think I may even have the manual somewhere.
Looks like it is discontinued since the latest IOS is not compatible.....

https://www.usaspec.com/volvo-allmodelsexcepts80-1999-parts.aspx

Last edited:
If you are willing to lose using the cassette for cassettes, you can probably mod the radio to give it an aux input. It's a quick and simple mode, basically you cut the signal lines from the cassette board (inside the unit) and solder in an aux cable. I did it to one of my 960 radios over a decade ago, and it is probably described somewhere on this site.

To use the aux, simply input a cassette into the system and let it play. That triggers looking at the correct input. I used an endless cleaning tape in mine.

In fact, if you want, PM me. I think I still have that radio in my garage, and would have no problems passing it on to someone who will use it.

Does your CR-718 have an 8-pin DIN EQ jack with a dummy shorting plug in it?

auxjack289.jpg

If you are willing to lose using the cassette for cassettes, you can probably mod the radio to give it an aux input. It's a quick and simple mode, basically you cut the signal lines from the cassette board (inside the unit) and solder in an aux cable. I did it to one of my 960 radios over a decade ago, and it is probably described somewhere on this site.

If you were going to go though this trouble - wouldn't you just put a switch in line with the signal lines from the cassette?

So you can swap between the cassette and the AUX jack?

Also, maybe so you could hard wire switch off the motor.

Next up is a 13 pin DIN connector to aux adapter that I found on Amazon. no clue whether it will work or not but I figured it's the least intrusive option and worth trying before I modify my radio/EQ wiring.

Yes, the 30 pin connector.......prolly why i havent used it for several years since everything I use now has a lightening.
I believe it was USSPEC or something.....I think I may even have the manual somewhere.
Looks like it is discontinued since the latest IOS is not compatible.....
https://www.usaspec.com/volvo-allmodelsexcepts80-1999-parts.aspx
Thanks for the link/info. I haven't had any Apple stuff since the iPhone 4S so I'll keep that option in my back pocket for now.

To use the aux, simply input a cassette into the system and let it play. That triggers looking at the correct input. I used an endless cleaning tape in mine.
In fact, if you want, PM me. I think I still have that radio in my garage, and would have no problems passing it on to someone who will use it.
I actually pulled my radio out and disassembled it to see how complex this would be to implement and it's definitely one of my alternate options. I'll be in touch if my next plan does not work out.

auxjack289.jpg
Yes, although it doesn't have a shorting plug as I actually have an equalizer. (I have a shorting plug in my glove box but I'm not using it). This is a very interesting possibility, thanks for sharing!

If you were going to go though this trouble - wouldn't you just put a switch in line with the signal lines from the cassette?

If you put a switch on the outside of the radio which turns on and off the micro switch which is activated when you put a tape in, all of this will be accomplished quite simply and without losing the use of your cassette player.

Mine all have no EQ, so the jumper plug makes a non-intrusive connection. The 5mm jack has switching, so the radio/tape input to the amp is switched by plugging in the aux cable. The EQ line level is much better suited to the ipod/phone level, and allows the volume control to have a normal setpoint and range.

To use this with the EQ, you'd have to interrupt the cable to it, either with plugs and jacks or surgery.

auxjack265.jpg

auxjack266.jpg

auxjack297.jpg

auxjack302.jpg

Also, maybe so you could hard wire switch off the motor.

Because the cassette transport in the unit was bad, and I was done with 1980's tech. :-)

I think we used 1990's portable CD tech in that car.

Where do I buy these bits......or is this patch cable available ready made somewhere?
If building your own, is there a wiring diagram to follow in soldering this up?
Might be time to bring the 780 radio into the 21st century.

Patrick

auxjack289.jpg

Unfortunately the off-the-shelf cd to aux adapter just blew the 5amp fuse in the radio. I guess I'll be following in your footsteps by inserting the audio via the eq jack.
Thanks for the link!

Back