• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122 torque mount broke off

On a more serious note, what did it feel like when that torque mount broke?

Rear end wobbling? Steering went crazy? or just a real loud noise and subsequent dragging noise of torque rod

Speaking of stress fatigue I just snapped an aftermarket hollow rear swap bar on my Golf as I articulated through a steep driveway, luckily it let go at .5 mph and not while cornering on the track at who knows what speed. It's been on the car for 9 years, 9 very hard years and 75k miles. I've seen and or experienced my fair share of mechanical failures in my automotive career, most people have been seriously lucky SOBs!

Speaking of stress fatigue I just snapped an aftermarket hollow rear swap bar on my Golf as I articulated through a steep driveway, luckily it let go at .5 mph and not while cornering on the track at who knows what speed. It's been on the car for 9 years, 9 very hard years and 75k miles. I've seen and or experienced my fair share of mechanical failures in my automotive career, most people have been seriously lucky SOBs!
:nod:
I took a VW bar off at PNP once - found it hollow ... WTF and left it there .. thin walled stuff

Those components are only supposed to be able to experience deflections that cause stresses below the endurance limit... hence, crappy engineering at the component level.

I did this exact thing with my 2001 volvo s60. Front sway bar snapped at the support point on the subframe. Like you it was in a driveway on a steep bit at .5 mph. It was a solid bar though, pretty weird.

For sure they did. So did poly bushings, age, design and my hard driving. It takes few min with a welder to reinforce the mount as shown in TSB, just play it safe and add the plates

I haven't seen the TSB for that reinforcement, have a link? Thanks for the heads up!

46-01%20June%201962%20Rear%20axle%20spicer%20model%2027%20P1200%20P1800%200001.jpg

Back