• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 15G Idle ring.

smoothdurban

I do my own stunts
Hey.

I just finished a 15G swap on my B230FT and I noticed a ringing type sound and idle.

The turbo is used, I bought it from a member here a few months back. I know on the hot side of the turbo there is a cup or sorts that separates the turbine wheel from the cartridge. Is it possible this is rattling around. Perhaps I didn`t clamp the hot side housing to the cartridge sufficiently when I reclocked it.

when I blip the throttle it goes away and returns when the engine speed returns to idle.

Are you certain where the sound is coming from precisely? Try using a length of hose or tubing up to your ear and try to find precisely where the noise is loudest.
Dave

Are you certain where the sound is coming from precisely? Try using a length of hose or tubing up to your ear and try to find precisely where the noise is loudest.
Dave

I`ll check with a stethoscope next time I run it, it seems pretty certain its coming from the turbo.

Sounds like you got a junk turbo like the past 3 turbos I?ve bought off of TB.

Yikes! Last 3? If that`s the case any recommendations on where to buy a good cartridge?

I went to a jy and got my 16t. You can examine the shaft play before you pull it! And usually a decent amount cheaper too

I went to a jy and got my 16t. You can examine the shaft play before you pull it! And usually a decent amount cheaper too

Thats always an option but I am ok with buying something new (and paying for it) I just dont trust any of the ebay $168 cartridge specials.

I am about a 2.5 hour drive from Cherry Turbos in St. Thomas so I dropped them a line what I am looking for. I am curious if there are an other reputable online sources.

Yeah I wouldn't either for 168 bucks lol. There was a thread on here not long ago that someone had bought just that from ebay and it was spewing oil everywhere within 500 miles

I also rebuilt a blown 15g from here with a cheap $30 kit (huge mistake presumably) and then paid another $60 to have it ‘balanced’ and when i went to pick up the turbo from the balance shop it was still disassembled. It had small divets: one one the compressor wheel and one on the turbine wheel. Guy at the shop just told me to ‘line them up by eye and tighten it up’ :roll:

In hindsight, you don’t need to balance a factory turbo that you rebuilt since the compressor wheel and turbine wheel (with shaft) are balanced separately from the factory. That’s what i was told at least. I should’ve just bought a better rebuild kit and rebuilt it and let it be. My $30 rebuild lasted 1500 miles.

Also, people should stop selling junk turbos on here.

15g

I've got a 15g that makes a ringing sound on the cup with I spin the exhaust wheel. I only noticed it when I took the housing off to port it. I'm hoping it stops when I reassemble it.

Did you take it apart? A compressor or turbine fin brushing on their respective housing might make the noise you're describing.

I've bought my parts for a rebuild from Gpop shop. Wasn't a cheap kit but wasn't over $100 either. Another choice they provide is a chra for exchange.

Sounds like the wheel is scraping? I would take the intake hose off and see / feel / hear if it's scraping.
It could be that the hot and cold side are not perfectly aligned when you tightened the clamp.

A rebuild kit for 100 bucks and a whole chra assembly for 100 bucks is a different story lol

I'd go for the kit and do it yourself rather than buying a cheap center cartridge

Sounds like the wheel is scraping? I would take the intake hose off and see / feel / hear if it's scraping.
It could be that the hot and cold side are not perfectly aligned when you tightened the clamp.

I checked the compressor side and it is not scraping and spins freely.

I will pull the turbo and leave the turbine housing attached to the manifold and hopefully some more will be revealed.

Back