• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2007 XC90 ac compressor

SwedishBee

Drill em deep
We changed the expansion valves and drier hoping for the best, but it looks to need a compressor.
Builds pressure for a few seconds of coldness then nothing.

Now I'm learning about the disaster of the serpentine belt and tensioner setup.
That's what I need to know about. Hit me.
Forgot to mention, it's a 3.2 liter.

Last edited:
It's super easy.

19mm wrench and a small Allen key, pull the tensioner to remove tension on the serp belt, drop the Allen key into the hole on the tensioner to hold it in place. Evac the system. Remove the two nuts holding on the pressure pipes, unplug the two connectors for the clutch and swash plate solenoid and finally the three bolts that hold the compressor in place.

Reverse to install.

So I'm guessing you mean, use the 19mm wrench to twist the tensioner, do you get it from the top? Or what? It just looks like aliens built this thing. Open end side of the wrench?

Under the power steering reservoir, you can see the tab that the open end of the wrench will sit against as you pull it. Beside that is the hole in the tensioner where you will drop in an allen key to hold it in the relaxed state.

Compressor runs fine. With a low charge it has a equal pressure of 95 psi. When it turns on it goes to 70 on low side and 125 on high side, That's it, it won't take any more Freon either.

The plate sticks on those and they won't cool. You can try replacing the solenoid but I think you're going to be wasting your money. Just put a compressor on it.

These aren't clutch cycling systems either so you would almost never see a clutch failure on this type of compressor.

It was super easy just like you said. But changing the belt, which involved removing the power steering pump,
... That sucked.

swedish bee. i just got my power steering pump off and was surprised there was a spring behind the pulley. Any suggestions on how to reattach? Also, do you have the serpentine belt routing diagram by chance.

You have to remove the 2xT25 fasteners from the power steering pump pulley and reinstall the spring and coupler back into the water pump. It's kind of tight so watch your thumbs. I can't tell you how many times I have smashed my thumbs putting one of those pumps back in.

Back