• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hail hydra

Those OEM Hydra center caps though:

5unYkfV.jpg

:drool:

Those aren't just Hydra center caps. They are used on Draco, Orion, Multi X, and probably some wheels I'm forgetting. Most likely why they are still available.

So I have been reasonably busy trying to get this car 100%. I started with replacing the head gasket as it was leaking. At the same time, I decided it was a good idea to just reseal the engine and put a new timing belt on it. The head gasket was fairly painless, though I did have to fight any number of rotten connectors to get it back together.

h1cz5Up.jpg

SxiplcT.jpg

Pulled the trans for rear main replacement:
JjnWPd3.jpg

And i found that someone had previously cut a torque converter with a torch. Luckily I had a flex plate kicking around I could swap that one for.
O2LoS2W.jpg

And some new mounts to replace the saggy originals. I didn't have any issues with them really, but I figured it was a common sense item while everything was already out.
bC7HULR.jpg

Something I don't have pictures of but it worth mentioning, is that I swapped the timing belt to the setup from a 1994 960. This was really easy to do, and stretches the service interval from 30k miles to 50k miles, and I deem that worth it. Here's the link I used to guide me through: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43798 I kept all the stock pulleys, you just modify a idler and you're good to go. If you wanted to swap to the 97-98 style it would require significantly more parts changing.

I've also taken advantage of the car being off the road to address the suspension. It made every noise you could imagine, and was so bouncy it was genuinely concerning on rough roads. I found this when I pulled the struts...the nut that holds the insert in the sleeve was gone. It shot ball bearings everywhere.
ilOYLJo.jpg

In their place went a set of BC DS Series coilovers. I did put pads, rotors, and stainless lines all on at the same time.
iRzPtfW.jpg

I'm reasonably happy with them honestly. I did request that I get a softer spring rate than what they generally come with, so they're reasonably compliant. The only thing I wish was better would be that rebound on the rears was stiffer. Even dialed all the way up there's too much jounce for my liking, but it's livable.

BXE3SAr.jpg

noTxUNS.jpg

Things that are currently in progress include:

S60R seat swap! :cool: No, they do not fit. It is also not easy or straight forward, there's been a lot of cutting and welding on seat frames.
LOUEq43.jpg

I've also got a set of BMW style 19 wheels to go on it. I'm waiting on some bolts that are perpetually stuck in customs, then they'll be refinished and thrown on there.
x3swLVn.jpg

6AHk5kh.jpg

Last edited:
looking good! Have always wondered about running those wheels on a 7/9

I've been chasing a check engine light on this car, as I may have posted about before. The code thrown is for low o2 sensor voltage, which sounds easy on the face of it. The issue has been, the car had a basically new Bosch o2 sensor in it. I replaced this one with another basically new o2 sensor, which did not fix the problem. I had confirmed that (intermittently) the signal voltage was below spec, but still I was skeptical of throwing $$ at another sensor. So I checked the fuel pressure and had some interesting results. The FPR was not leaking through the vacuum nipple however, the pressure didn't rise when I pulled vacuum off either. I pinched the return fuel line shut and pressure did rise really slowly, but when I released it the pressure would never drop back to normal. Weird right? So I swapped the FPR for a new one. Low and behold I'm netting better MPG than I've seen previously and better yet, I'm not getting fuel soot on the back of the car after driving. So my theory is the FPR was randomly changing fuel pressure (like a lot), and this has caused my o2 sensors to fail. I've yet to throw in another sensor but the car runs 100% better. It ain't slow when you wind it out either.

In other news the bolts for my style 19 wheels are permanently lost by the post office, so god knows when that will happen.

I have been able to test fit my driver's seat though to build some future anticipation.
p73UE16.jpg

Minor stuff today, but I got a wood grain steering wheel installed. I'm completely thrilled with it. Bolted right in, no issues whatsoever.

5fZlxr2.jpg

Back