• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Globex Corp presents: 255

Honestly I'd look at a different GTX30R - the 3076 has some inherent disadvantages because of the size difference between the turbine and compressor. What are your power goals for the T5? I did a match simulation for Homer and found that a GTX2867R or GTX3067R would be well matched for one of these engines at anything south of about 450 flywheel hp. That's for pump gas and a fairly stock 2.3L making peak power at 6krpm. If you're looking for ~500 hp at the flywheel, I'd look at a GTX3071R.

If you need the airflow provided by the 76mm GTX compressor wheel, the 35 turbine is a much better match and makes for an overall more efficient system.

Makes sense to me. I wonder why ATP doesn't list the 3067. I was very happy with the 3071r on the old t5r. This one should wind up to about 8k and I'd like a bit more omph... But maybe the gtx3071r with an 82 exhaust side will be plenty.

I've never driven a gt35 that didn't feel a bit doggy in daily use but maybe the gtx would cure that. Honestly I should just stick with what I know I liked lol

All home and looking great

155182039.jpg

So good Max had to come inspect.
155182040.jpg

155182041.jpg

I think I might play hookie tomorrow for a few hours and get some work done. :D

Makes sense to me. I wonder why ATP doesn't list the 3067. I was very happy with the 3071r on the old t5r. This one should wind up to about 8k and I'd like a bit more omph... But maybe the gtx3071r with an 82 exhaust side will be plenty.

I've never driven a gt35 that didn't feel a bit doggy in daily use but maybe the gtx would cure that. Honestly I should just stick with what I know I liked lol

I did the design work on the 67mm GTX compressor stage so I'm a bit biased towards that one...but to be fair, the GTX 67mm compressor flows about the same as the old 71mm BCI-18 design in the GT3071R, but with higher efficiency and much higher pressure ratio capability.

The GTX3576R only gives up a tiny bit of response vs. the GTX3076R and is miles more responsive than the old GT3582R (there was no commonly used non-X 3576).

I think you're on the right track with the GTX3071R / 0.82 A/R idea!

I did the design work on the 67mm GTX compressor stage so I'm a bit biased towards that one...but to be fair, the GTX 67mm compressor flows about the same as the old 71mm BCI-18 design in the GT3071R, but with higher efficiency and much higher pressure ratio capability.

The GTX3576R only gives up a tiny bit of response vs. the GTX3076R and is miles more responsive than the old GT3582R (there was no commonly used non-X 3576).

Hmm

I think you're on the right track with the GTX3071R / 0.82 A/R idea!

And now I feel like I'm not! LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hmmm.

edit: ATP DOES have the GTX3067 listed with the 28 styler smaller compressor housing. Perfect. Thank god cause I still have my good account there :D

Last edited:
Played hookie today (well... I'm the boss and sole employee so it's not really hookie I guess) to weld up all the extra holes in the engine bay.

155187436.jpg

155187437.jpg

First time doing any sort of thing like this but got the hang pretty quick.
155187438.jpg

155187439.jpg

Then rattle primed them for now. They'll require a bit more dressing for paint but good enough for now.
155187441.jpg

Then put the rack and cross member back on. (Yes- I did miss grinding one weld lol)

SO with a little luck Mueller is bringing me a finished T5 transmission adapter at KauerPalooza in two weeks. If everything works out, I think I have everything to physically put the motor in the car now. :D

Well that's it, I'm taking a much needed few days out of town starting tomorrow. :D

Oh please, like you know anything about turbo's...lol

When are we to see YOUR baby hauler build Chris?

Haha, right! The beige 242 is in the suspension disassembly phase, and I'm continuing to source parts for the suspension and engine swap. I'll post an update as soon as I make some real progress...the 242 is no wagon but it should haul the one baby and dog just fine in the commodious back seat.

edit: ATP DOES have the GTX3067 listed with the 28 styler smaller compressor housing. Perfect. Thank god cause I still have my good account there :D

Doug, I couldn't say for sure whether the 67 or 71mm would be best without doing the math. If you can PM me with more engine details and a power goal, I'll do a turbo match and give you my recommendations. The engine bay is looking mighty fine btw.

I didnt go through the whole thread but what if the Cali tells you to bring it in to be sure its still a Diesel, they do that sometimes...thats a great shell though. THere are still clean ones out there...the one I turned into a truck was a rust free, and I mean rust free, clean, straight shell. One little spot byt eh rear door had a little bit of bondo and that was it, I coudlnt believe what a good car it was, turned truck haha. Still see it around LA too.

Keeping the A/C I hope too? Saw you welded up the holes in the panels, but id do the same also, I did in my 242, was gonna run the A/C lines in the fender. Megasquirt? Or a stock tuned box?

I like where this is going, keep it simple and drive it, just promise you wont put 600lb springs in it with rubber band tires so its ruined ;-)

Mark

Last edited:
Nice work Doug,

Its been a while since I've been on, and glad I stumbled across this pretty quickly ;)

Thank YOU! Wouldn't have happened with out your help!

Keeping the A/C I hope too? Saw you welded up the holes in the panels, but id do the same also, I did in my 242, was gonna run the A/C lines in the fender. Megasquirt? Or a stock tuned box?

I like where this is going, keep it simple and drive it, just promise you wont put 600lb springs in it with rubber band tires so its ruined ;-)

Mark

Mark that's exactly the plan. Run the lines through the wheel wells (at least condenser to evaporator, from evap back to compressor I may run though the ds firewall ).

Was thinking running m4.3 but have been leaning towards VEMS. We will see. No aggressive spring rates for this guy, I want something that is comfortable to drive.

That shell looks great....I've always liked the bodies in white, like a real race car shell as delivered from the factory!

Attachments

• t5 to t5.jpg
    t5 to t5.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 627
Back