• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Hello! Manual Shifter knob replacement?

SnakeRacingCo

Hi everyone! Thanks for taking the time out to read. Brand new to the forum, and to Volvo ownership. Just picked up a 1990 245 with about 260,000 kms on it (I'm in Canada.)

One of the issues that I'm having is that the shifter knob on the M46 trans feels just awful. The top cap on it has fallen off and the upper part of the shifter slides up and down, just like the collar does. Now I know I need the collar to be able to move up and down, and I've read that it's just press fitted on, but do I need to get a specific type of shifter knob or can I just get something generic?

Appreciate the input, you'll probably see some more posts soon as I discover more issues!

Thanks!

EDIT: See post #13

Last edited:
The headache you're going to get into by trying to change the shifter knob on the stupid M46 isn't worth it.

I haven't done it, but I think you'd need to adapt any aftermarket shift knob to have the right diameter (because it presses on via wedge rather than threads on) and then you'd need to drill a hole or something for the stupid OD switch.

Yes the shift knob sucks. Mine would fly off at comically critical situations. My solution was to turbo the sh** out of it and go T5. But I'm pretty dumb.

My M47 has a generic knob from AutoZone.

It was one of the more expensive but plainer knobs and is held on the stalk by set screws. The only problem I had was the set screws trying to back out. Loctite used sparingly helped stop that.

You could theoretically put the overdrive switch anywhere (dash, ebrake cover, etc.).

I've had good experience with the stock aftermarket replacement knobs. You car should be an M47 five speed. I would get a new plate as well for the top of the shift knob. You can check with Volvo world in Canada for the parts.

With your description of the upper part of the shifter moving up and down. Then I would also suspect that the ball socket bushings that the shifter fits into are bad. A good place to browse for part numbers is the genuine classic parts site. You can goto the catalog section and look at exploded diagrams then match it to the part numbers. Then search and you can see what is available. http://www.gcp.se

Wish you well with it.

Also welcome. How's Tronna? Leafs suck.
Thank you! Tuhronna is great, better since it's not -30 (C). Yes, the Leafs suck, but we all drink beer and cheer them on anyways because that's what we do.

swedefiend said:
My M47 has a generic knob from AutoZone.

It was one of the more expensive but plainer knobs and is held on the stalk by set screws. The only problem I had was the set screws trying to back out. Loctite used sparingly helped stop that.

You could theoretically put the overdrive switch anywhere (dash, ebrake cover, etc.).
The M46 (4 speed with electric overdrive) has this weird knob with a button RIGHT in the middle of it. Here's a picture of the type of knob (found this on Google, not mine) and mine has no cap, so it seems to just slip around all over the place. I also don't think they're held on with set screws, I think they're just wedged on. Which is dumb.

dl242gt said:
I've had good experience with the stock aftermarket replacement knobs. You car should be an M47 five speed. I would get a new plate as well for the top of the shift knob. You can check with Volvo world in Canada for the parts.

With your description of the upper part of the shifter moving up and down. Then I would also suspect that the ball socket bushings that the shifter fits into are bad. A good place to browse for part numbers is the genuine classic parts site. You can goto the catalog section and look at exploded diagrams then match it to the part numbers. Then search and you can see what is available. http://www.gcp.se

Wish you well with it.

VIN seems to indicate it's an M46? Which I believe is the electric overdrive rather than an actual 5 speed shifter. That link is SUPER helpful though, thank you very much!

Redwood would likely have the best deal, but you can still get the whole set up new from the dealer. I think I paid $50ish for an M47 knob (same as M46) and cap.

I came in here to confirm I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about. Obv.

I came in here to confirm I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about. Obv.
Take solace in the fact that no matter how little of an idea you think you have, I have less.

Really though, after looking at some options online I think you may be right. Moving the switch seems like a real pain, so I will probably just look for a replacement knob and deal with it.

A 1990 US or Canada market manual trans car would have an M47 five speed in it. Seems like if you have the switch for electric overdrive then someone retrofitted your car with an M46.

Yes, the switch is just set into the top of the shifter knob and then the cap holds it in place.

A 1990 US or Canada market manual trans car would have an M47 five speed in it. Seems like if you have the switch for electric overdrive then someone retrofitted your car with an M46.

Yes, the switch is just set into the top of the shifter knob and then the cap holds it in place.

Attention everyone, it seems like I am a total moron and the above is correct. Top gear (I'd rather call it that than 5th gear) is definitely not selected with a switch.

Apparently using a VIN decoder to decide what trans you have is not as accurate as actually just trying to move the trans into 5th.

The shifter knob still spins and moves up and down like crazy, but at least now I know that I can just replace the knob with something more conventional.

PFA:
sq3802.jpg

^Especially after they've gone through CL a few times.

Some of the Momo knobs will work, too, if you want to go that route. One of the other guys used a Momo knob on his '83 245Ti with the M46. Repurposed a momentary rear demist switch for the overdrive on his car. While you're working on the transmission, consider buying the STS Machining (77volvo245 is their username here) bronze/delrin shifter bushing kit. I put that on my 242 and the transmission feels much tighter than either the one in my 245, or my spare transmission when it still had its shifter installed.

-J

Thanks everyone for all your info. I'm definitely going to look into a replacement shift knob and I'll check into all those options. The Momo shift knob is a great idea, I've always loved how they look.

I'm going to dig into the car tomorrow (which I drove home yesterday) and see what I can find in terms of issues. First on the list is try and reduce the amount of fuel leaking out of the bottom of the car and also try and get the battery to charge properly.

I do custom M46/7 wood shift knobs. They are drilled to the correct diameter for a snug fit, and use a set screw for retention. If you're interested, drop me a PM.

3rFJ0Vvh.jpg
[/IMG]

fWafvWDh.jpg
[/IMG]

Back