• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

She STILL thinks I have a problem.

slow240

Home Schooled
well, with the wreck, my 244 took a turn for the project forum....
Good 'ol G3rald is getting a new quarter panel and a paint job.

Before:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256221
This is the original thread showing the slow updating of the car, but now I have a $2k budget to get this car back on the road, so it just might get a little more interesting.

So, as it sits now, he got hit at about 45mph in the rear passenger quarter

So, call me crazy, I bought this for $500 for the quarter panel and a quick part out.

So, you've met the players, you know the game, lets see if I can do bodywork!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Are you thinking of selling what you pull off the burgundy car?

Anything that I don't need will be for sale. As soon as the red one is in the garage and the parts car is off in Valhalla ill post up a parts thread. I have a TON of parts to offload

Hey thanks for ruining the Volvo market in this area! I used to get good running volvos for $400. But, if your buying wrecked ones for $500......

Yup, it's totally him, not inflation and appreciation. I bought a 30,000 mile 242 for $800 in 2009. If I'd have kept it in good shape I could have easily sold it for $2-3k. It's not him.

Hey, I'm trying to keep the price down. I just sold two 242ti for $500 each.
Backfired though. They're both for sale a few months later for 3 grand each! :lol:

Gained some serious headway on the parts car since the last update, just a few more things to pull before sending it off to valhalla.

today's accomplishment;GOT THE QUARTER PANEL OFF!!!!! super huge PITA btw.....

still gotta pull the panel between the taillights, the buttcheek, and a few other misc. parts, but Gerald is getting aquainted with his new quarter

obligatory shop dog picture

EDIT; really loving this Eastwood skip-proof spot weld drill bit. I've been dipping it in chainsaw bar and chain lube every few spot welds and I still havent even killed off the first cutting bit (but I have 3 spares, just in case :lol:)

You should pull all the rocket panels, floor pans and the other quarter panel before you scrap it! I could use the floors and rockers!

My 242 was hit similarly on the driver's quarter back in 2000. The blow on mine was more glancing (sort of a side-swipe from the front) -- although damage on the quarter looked very similar. Unfortunately, it broke the driver's side bumper shock loose from the car so the impact also 'levered' my commando bumper into the passenger side quarter as well caving in the area above the butt cheek on that side too. Good luck with the repair.

Last edited:
I bought two cans of weld through primer from Eastwood. This is my first rodeo, but I did a bit of research

You should pull all the rocket panels, floor pans and the other quarter panel before you scrap it! I could use the floors and rockers!

The floors are spoken for by a local, and the rockers. Are a bit crusty :/

My 242 was hit similarly on the driver's quarter back in 2000. The blow on mine was more glancing (sort of a side-swipe from the front) -- although damage on the quarter looked very similar. Unfortunately, it broke the driver's side bumper shock loose from the car and that it 'levered' my commando bumper into the passenger side quarter as well caving in the area above the butt cheek on that side too. Good luck with the repair.

That sounds terrible. I can only imagine how you felt, I was crushed when mine got hit. Luckily my rear tires broke loose when he hit so most of the force was translated into rotation and most if the damage is shallow. My rear bumper gave out and the bumper shock is fine, so it's just the quarter and the panel between the taillights.

That sounds terrible. I can only imagine how you felt, I was crushed when mine got hit.

Funny how it's not just the car that gets crushed - know how you feel. I was about to have mine painted -- so I saved a few bucks going ahead and having it done while the body work was being done. They had to remove/replace the box support for the shock bumper on mine in addition to the quarters. Amazingly - didn't touch the deck lid, the tail lights or the sheet metal between quarters. Funny watching the body shop guy estimate it, scratch his head wondering how the damage got done the way it did - by the time it got to him, I'd removed the bumper and had it sticking out of the trunk.

well the parts car went off to the scrapyard in the sky yesterday.... I feel like I pulled just about every part worth pulling :lol:
The guy from pick'n'pull walked around it a few times just staring in amazement at how much was NOT left on there :-P

Photobucket is being retarded and not letting me link photos, so heres the album. it also has every other picture I have of my 244 :-P
http://s557.photobucket.com/user/sharpiesnniffer/library/244?sort=3&page=1

today I pulled MY 244 in the garage (after installing some snazzy new fluorescent lighting in the garage tuesday) and got all the glass out, plus the trunk, and Im pretty much ready to start cutting the smashed metal off.....:omg::omg:

Ill post more pictures tomorrow, wish me luck!

so I got the parts car gone a week ago and..... not much has happened since...

Photobucket is finally cooperating, so YAY PICTARZ!

parts car :lol:

on the truck

Got $120 back in the car budget with that, then went and spend $1,000 on paint, a paint gun, and a portable carport that im going to use as a paint booth..... :-P

while the parts car was out I installed some new 4' fluorescent lights to improve the dismal lighting situation, and its muy bueno!

then over the last few days I have been picking the smashed quarter off, which btw is really tedious.... and crucially unnerving... I can honestly say, I can think of few things that are scarier than taking an angle grinder to your favorite DD.........

Unfortunately I'm really running out of steam here because I have been picked to go on a trip for work and I'll be gone for 1-3 weeks so there is no way I'll get this done by Carlisle, and I really hoped to have it done in time... :-/ but the budget is running dry, and I still have a long way to go, so its hard to say no to extra money....

Back