• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v 230 won?t start?

Arewethereyet

Hi all. I?ve got the B230 16v conversion in the car and trying to start. Problem is, it?s firing but won?t catch?
Ign timing is with TTV flywheel having blank holes in starter motor hole at no.1 TDC.Valve timing is as per the book with crank at TDC no.1 and both cam wheels lined up with marks on cam cover, had to spring the exhaust via pulley bolt to keep it upright however. All lines up after rotating so seems ok.
When cranking it shoots blue/purple flame from each exhaust port but won?t attempt to ?fire? either with petrol or a squirt of easystart.
What d?ya reckons up? Getting pissed off with it now.

Completely rebuilt 8v into 16v, this is first start. Fuels about 7 months old but a squirt of easy start didn?t alter anything nor did some new fuel squirted into throttle body. Just checked valve timing whilst turning over by hand and rod in plug hole to observe tdi/bdc and all looked to be in right order. Rotor pointing at no1 lead at tdc
Just fires a big purple flame with no attempt to ?fire? or ?catch?

If your timing is correct, I hope you did install the flywheel 180 out. Please don't ask me how I know.
:nod: that would cause said issue. I would double check that if everything else checks out good. If that is ok, could be possible EZK or ECU issue.

Just tried flywheel 180 dog out, same. In starter motor hole, same. Either side of starter motor
, same.
If I put distributor 180 deg out there is a spare screw hole at top

Please guys, read my post FFS, we?re beyond leads here. ITS A WHOLE NEW ENGINE

sorry dude.

funny thing is, I swapped leads on a 16V engine I tore down and rebuilt, years ago. I mean, can happen.

Anyways.

How did you verify timing, via the line on the crank or via measuring piston to be at TDC via spark plug hole? Just to be sure timing of cams (and thus rotor) is correct.

This a block mounted dizzy on a B230 or head mounted dizzy?

Okay let?s clarify. This was a B230 now converted to b234 + forged bits with TTV flywheel. The gearbox is off the car and I?ve tried the flywheel in 4 different positions and it does the same thing, big flames out of ports but no firing as such.

Crank position sensor in working order? What ECU EZK combo are you using? Blue flames out of each exhaust port..... Do you have the O2 sensor hooked up?

I can only assume the cps is still working fine as it?s firing each cylinder individually. ECU and EZK are chipped and were running like that perfectly a few months back, no way of telling if anything changed whilst car sat quietly in garage. O2 sensor is sitting jammed inside an exhaust port as no manifold is fitted yet.

Is it correct to have to keep the exhaust cam under tension with a wrench to get marks lined up when fitting cam belt?

Maybe just slightly... but it shouldn’t take much. Are the cams in correctly? Intake on the intake side and exhaust on the exhaust side?

I can only assume so as they were marked by the guy that sold me the head. Are the part numbers different or any identifying marks? Distributor drive is correct as far as I can tell.

Back