• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions about putting different bolt pattern wheels on 740 because im dumb

89_740Turbo

I'm dumb when it comes to wheels. I always play it safe and force myself to be 'satisfied' with the elusive 5x108 bolt pattern wheel.

Well its a new year and I'm gunna stop being a puss when it comes to wanting to put new wheels on.

I found a pretty cool set online. I like them a lot. Id like to buy them eventually.

Details of them are as follows: 17" x 7.5", +38 Offset, 5x114.3 Bolt Pattern, 73.1mm Hub

I know I will need 5x108 to 5x114 adapters BUT what I don't know is, is there a thickness of the adapters I need. Is the hub diameter too large or small. I don't know anything about wheels!
Thanks in advance

I, and many others, have used 25mm spacers in front, or all the way around, and 32mm in the rear. Works great! I don't remember the hub diameter, I didn't use hub centric spacers, which means you need to be very careful putting them on, hand tighten every other lug nut until you can't anymore, then use the sockets.

I, and many others, have used 25mm spacers in front, or all the way around, and 32mm in the rear. Works great! I don't remember the hub diameter, I didn't use hub centric spacers, which means you need to be very careful putting them on, hand tighten every other lug nut until you can't anymore, then use the sockets.

Basically meaning the wheel itself isn't sitting on the hub at all and only being fitted to the car by the lug nuts? Oooof

Yup, it withstands a lot of punishment, not V8 torque probably but anything the normal B230FT puts out, and the adapters are cheap. I did a ton of nasty burnouts on them with no problems. That tiny little lip is only really centering the thing anyway. I understand if your not comfortable with it, gotta be very confident in your install and its fine.

My spare set of 25/32 mm adapters, got them on Amazon I think

2aOVIHLl.jpg

H&R sells hubcentric in 5x108 to 5x108, in 25 mm only. I don't know if they have other bolt patterns, I have only done the 5x108 route. Expect to pay at a good bit more for hubcentric, I believe the last set of 32mm spacers (left above pic) was just over $100 for 4 spacers, I thought I was getting 2 and was surprised when 4 showed up.

H&R sells hubcentric in 5x108 to 5x108, in 25 mm only. I don't know if they have other bolt patterns, I have only done the 5x108 route. Expect to pay at a good bit more for hubcentric, I believe the last set of 32mm spacers (left above pic) was just over $100 for 4 spacers, I thought I was getting 2 and was surprised when 4 showed up.

So the center bore on the wheels is 73.1 but the bore of a 740 hub is 65.1 and I just found these - https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Aluminum...aXhc7:sc:USPSFirstClass!07756!US!-1:rk:7:pf:0 - so I'm going to go out on a lim here and say this is what I would need to use with a 5x108 to 5x114 adapter?

Doing it right and spending now to save later both mean "don't use spacers or adapters, get the proper wheels that fit", they won't pass inspection in many states when they are over 5mm, for a couple reasons, a large one is you can't tell if the spacer is coming loose until its very loose and you get vibrations, hub centric doesn't help with that problem. But ya the more expensive hub centric ones is the lesser risk, especially if you don't want to take the time to properly center the cheaper ones.

Spacer thickness answer is still the same for a 9" rim and 25mm will be fine

Doing it right and spending now to save later both mean "don't use spacers or adapters, get the proper wheels that fit", they won't pass inspection in many states when they are over 5mm, for a couple reasons, a large one is you can't tell if the spacer is coming loose until its very loose and you get vibrations, hub centric doesn't help with that problem. But ya the more expensive hub centric ones is the lesser risk, especially if you don't want to take the time to properly center the cheaper ones.

Spacer thickness answer is still the same for a 9" rim and 25mm will be fine

NJ doesnt require inspection for cars older than 20 years so I luckily dont have to worry about that. 25mil spacers all around with a 9" wheel, math wise when I did it, make it seem like it would be protruding way out of the wheel well lol that's the only reason I ask

NJ doesnt require inspection for cars older than 20 years so I luckily dont have to worry about that. 25mil spacers all around with a 9" wheel, math wise when I did it, make it seem like it would be protruding way out of the wheel well lol that's the only reason I ask

if your planning on Mucho HP trust me, adapters are a no no. Better off drill and fill some ARE 398s, thats what I did and it ended up costing the same as adapters.

I have a set of barrels you can have for $200 bucks if interested.

if your planning on Mucho HP trust me, adapters are a no no. Better off drill and fill some ARE 398s, thats what I did and it ended up costing the same as adapters.

I have a set of barrels you can have for $200 bucks if interested.

That's probably what I am going to do - just bring wheels somewhere to get drilled. I've been researching and researching the hell out of different setups I could possibly use for my 740 but between the stock 25mil offset and the rest of the wheel offsets out there plus having to use spacers, I don't know if anything will work.

16s aren't worth even buying anymore....there are hardly any decent tire choices in 16. Go 17s or 18s.

16s aren't worth even buying anymore....there are hardly any decent tire choices in 16. Go 17s or 18s.

I am running 17s at the moment. They came with the car so they aren't "me". If that makes sense.

Ultimately, what I am trying to figure out is what combinations can I go with that will work on a 740. See picture below

DD7Nvpf.png

I need to figure out what wiggle room a 740 has. You see where the 2 red lines intersect, horizontally than vertically? I need to figure out what the distance is of the horizontal line so I can determine a few things.

1. What offset wheel is ideal

2. What size mm wheel adapters do I need to use

#2 will of course be determined by #1 since the adapters will push the wheels out a little more. I am seeking a wheel that has a lip - something like a BBS but doesn't have to be one.

I have been trying to figure out how I can fit these wheels onto the car.

mXQ1HOy.png

17x8.5
Offset: 35 mm
Backspace: 6.125"

As well as trying to figure out if I could fit these, which I like more

xih3te5.png

17x8.5
Offset: 15 mm

Last edited:
Back