• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B5254T 500hp + engine build

poulrais

I have a B5254T engine I just took out of my son's 1999 S70 AWD because it has a cylinder with very low compression. I'm putting in another engine I got from the scrap yard so I'm getting a bad B5254T for free to play with...

I'm a little bored with my current B230FT +16V setup and I would like to keep a Volvo engine under the hood.

Anyone here built a forged Whiteblock? I looked at these Darton sleeves and they are pretty neat and good for 800+ Hp with other supporting hardware like forged pistons and rods.

What is the best source for forged Whiteblock parts? Custom intake? Custom headers?

I would like to keep the VVT system so I know I'll have to upgrade my MS2 to the MS3 to make use of the system.

Tranny would probably be a TKO500 ou 600 since I don't think a WC T5 can handle that kind of power without some major internal massaging.

look at turbojoes build on volvospeed.

500 is too much for these engines

That's why I want to use forged internals and have the block either decked or install something like these:

z5mPFZr.jpg

I'd find a RN block. Better flowing heads, dual VVT. LookforJoe, Matt M, and Aaron of Vast Tuning would be the people I would look at for what they're doing.

I'd find a RN block. Better flowing heads, dual VVT. LookforJoe, Matt M, and Aaron of Vast Tuning would be the people I would look at for what they're doing.

Yeah I might do that since there is already a burnt valve on the motor I have and a valve job would cost a bundle!

Source a B5244t5 from later model S60 T5 -06. Dual VVT and better pistons that'll easily do 500hp. Its similar to the R engine just smaller bore, 81mm instead of 83mm.

Source a B5244t5 from later model S60 T5 -06. Dual VVT and better pistons that'll easily do 500hp. Its similar to the R engine just smaller bore, 81mm instead of 83mm.

I could get a 2005 T5 engine from an S60 for around $1200... Would this do the trick?

I mean, if I get a newer engine for $1000 + and I end up putting another $1500 in parts to strengthen it I might a swell use the engine I have at hand, change rods and pistons, port the head, sleeve it and have a bulletproof motor?

Or I just found a 2006 2.5t from an AWD S80 with a 100K miles for $500. Is this a viable option?

Last edited:
Cant remember what year it is but the car is has the T5 badge, 2.5t have a bigger bore and is more prone to crack. If you're aiming for 500hp you would need to get som other rods. And from what i gathered the head does not need porting or very little for your goals.

look at turbojoes build on volvospeed.

500 is too much for these engines

500 is not a huge deal for these engines, you just have to take a conservative tuning approach and not try to make 500 with a TD04 Turbo.

RN blocks are much better, the heads aren't that big of an improvement.

500 is not a huge deal for these engines, you just have to take a conservative tuning approach and not try to make 500 with a TD04 Turbo.

RN blocks are much better, the heads aren't that big of an improvement.

If I have a 6 cylinder engine from an S90 SE available should I go that route and swap the bigger, more RWD orientated motor?

Rant(ish?).

It'll cost any way you want to do it. Valve job isn't the biggest expense but I'd say it's not wasted when going for bigger power. And a mild, even correctly homemade, porting is good too. Though you can always add more boost to achieve the goal? :lol:

For a 500hp 5-cyl I would use B5234T(81mm bore vs B5254 weaker 83mm bore). H-beams and custom exhaust manifold, everything else stock. Turbo pistons are fine for about 117hp/piece. Though I'm not 100% sure about how older or newer FWD intake flow. but I'd guess they'll be fine for that. I'm not that much into the details of the intake because 6-cyl is soo much easier to drop in.

I'd guess that B5254T is good for max 350-400hp with H-beams depending on the turbo size. The bigger turbo, the less torque on low rpm to brake cylinders if that's going to happen. Most if not all higher hp engines are built with 81mm bore because they are considered stronger. B I have no idea how well 83mm bore cylinders last with having grooves between cylinders filled(about that near the end).

As for 6-cyl, I find all round driveablity way better than 5-cyl and it's easier to make the same power.
B6284T needs just about rods, change of throttlebody, RWD oil pan & engine mounts and drilling & tapping one hole for left engine mount. After that it's ready to run and has exhaust VVT. Intake flows up to about 700hp. At least I couldn't get any more than that with a T6 intake.

If you want to fiddle around, use B6254 block, stock RWD intake, H-beams, B4194T(T4), B5234T or B6284T pistons, B6304 crankshaft and B6245 or B6304 head. 204hp B6304 cams have more lift and power comes a bit easier. B6254 cams can be used too and they have same lift as B6284T. Block is good for around 600hp or even more and RWD intake works at least up to 800hp.

For all the engines above. Fill the grooves between cylinders for example with feeler gauge slices or other material which is suitable thickness. This applies to any whiteblock until the latest ones(?). Without those cylinders could and will crack under higher pressure and temperature. Block casting is thinner, doesn't support cylinders that well and especially in overheated engines casting collapses in to the groove on its own. This can be seen even in stock engines and ultimately as cracked cylinders.

ps. B6284T block itself is good for ~1000hp just with grooves filled. Friend had his "B6284T" tortured in an engine dyno for a while. Just over 1000hp and ~1150Nm with no problems. I've had only 800hp so far on mine :-( And due to trying to avoid problems with the engine my current block has a block reinforcement similar in the pic above. It also fills the areas between cylinders.

Rant(ish?).

It'll cost any way you want to do it. Valve job isn't the biggest expense but I'd say it's not wasted when going for bigger power. And a mild, even correctly homemade, porting is good too. Though you can always add more boost to achieve the goal? :lol:

For a 500hp 5-cyl I would use B5234T(81mm bore vs B5254 weaker 83mm bore). H-beams and custom exhaust manifold, everything else stock. Turbo pistons are fine for about 117hp/piece. Though I'm not 100% sure about how older or newer FWD intake flow. but I'd guess they'll be fine for that. I'm not that much into the details of the intake because 6-cyl is soo much easier to drop in.

I'd guess that B5254T is good for max 350-400hp with H-beams depending on the turbo size. The bigger turbo, the less torque on low rpm to brake cylinders if that's going to happen. Most if not all higher hp engines are built with 81mm bore because they are considered stronger. B I have no idea how well 83mm bore cylinders last with having grooves between cylinders filled(about that near the end).

As for 6-cyl, I find all round driveablity way better than 5-cyl and it's easier to make the same power.
B6284T needs just about rods, change of throttlebody, RWD oil pan & engine mounts and drilling & tapping one hole for left engine mount. After that it's ready to run and has exhaust VVT. Intake flows up to about 700hp. At least I couldn't get any more than that with a T6 intake.

If you want to fiddle around, use B6254 block, stock RWD intake, H-beams, B4194T(T4), B5234T or B6284T pistons, B6304 crankshaft and B6245 or B6304 head. 204hp B6304 cams have more lift and power comes a bit easier. B6254 cams can be used too and they have same lift as B6284T. Block is good for around 600hp or even more and RWD intake works at least up to 800hp.

For all the engines above. Fill the grooves between cylinders for example with feeler gauge slices or other material which is suitable thickness. This applies to any whiteblock until the latest ones(?). Without those cylinders could and will crack under higher pressure and temperature. Block casting is thinner, doesn't support cylinders that well and especially in overheated engines casting collapses in to the groove on its own. This can be seen even in stock engines and ultimately as cracked cylinders.

ps. B6284T block itself is good for ~1000hp just with grooves filled. Friend had his "B6284T" tortured in an engine dyno for a while. Just over 1000hp and ~1150Nm with no problems. I've had only 800hp so far on mine :-( And due to trying to avoid problems with the engine my current block has a block reinforcement similar in the pic above. It also fills the areas between cylinders.

Thanks for all the infos! Very much appreciated!

Back