• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Qwkswede's 1992 244 daily driver. Back to my rolling roots.

Back on the road...

The paint is done and I am really happy with the outcome. I have the car re-assembled again and driving it around using it as my every day person and bike hauler. It just went past 240,000 miles and the motor is strong. I got it cleaned up and installed the summer wheels. It will be back on the snows again soon. But It was good to drive it around gathering compliments for a while.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 240_painted_lowered.jpg
    240_painted_lowered.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 278
The paint is done and I am really happy with the outcome. I have the car re-assembled again and driving it around using it as my every day person and bike hauler. It just went past 240,000 miles and the motor is strong. I got it cleaned up and installed the summer wheels. It will be back on the snows again soon. But It was good to drive it around gathering compliments for a while.

attachment.php

oh, i like that!

249,000 miles and the fun stopped.

The last couple months the car has been ripping. It now has some fat 100lb injectors and an E85 tune. It was really fun to drive. I even made it to the drag strip one night for some 15 second passes with 8500' altitude. I was pretty happy with that. Tons of gawkers at the track, even today with so many sub 12 second factory cars.

attachment.php

Unfortunately this week I had an accident and the car is gonna have to be retired.

attachment.php

It survived 4 years and about 50 thousand miles of duty for me. It was totaled in a hail storm and rebuilt. And now totaled again. I have no money coming on this accident because I couldn't get coverage again without doing some appraisal work. And I don't have the skills or desire to straighten the frame and b pillar and roof. The car is seriously ****ed this time. It's just another Volvo saved my life story now.

I'm currently getting all the good parts removed so I can send the pile of metal to the recycler. I'll be on the lookout for another car that I can install my turbo engine and suspension to. So parts of it will live on.

But I am really just sad. This little car had come a long way. I just intended to drive it on the cheap, but got tempted, forced, and stumbled into some nice upgrades over the years. It was mostly reliable and easy to fix. It was super fun to own. No regrets.

Attachments

• drag_queue.jpg
    drag_queue.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 159
  • volvo_crush.jpg
    volvo_crush.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20180725_175640.jpg
    IMG_20180725_175640.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Condolences, but on to the next!

Little sideways slide? I think about this not infrequently in my project cars - all of the hours crushed and folded up. Always thought I'd rather wad the car up myself and live with it than have someone else do it for me.

Condolences, but on to the next!

Little sideways slide? I think about this not infrequently in my project cars - all of the hours crushed and folded up. Always thought I'd rather wad the car up myself and live with it than have someone else do it for me.

I got T-boned in an intersection in a relatively slow residential area.

I have had some newer daily driver Volvos too. And I do think about the better safety equipment in the newer Volvos, especally when you are on the streets in rush hour traffic every day. Example of the danger above. But the older rear wheel drive Volvos are just so much easier to own. And apparently they still do a reasonable job protecting the driver in lower speed accidents like this. I estimate I got T-boned at 20-25mph. No airbags to deploy. But despite that I think the car protected the cabin pretty well. In the pictures above you can see the denting halted by the side impact bars in the doors.

And there is no question about the fun factor and car guy credibility with the 240/740s. Especially when they are fast and surprise everyone.

Anyways. I'm browsing lots of classifieds trying to find the right car for my next driver. I really want a wagon this time.

Sorry that this happened, Ken. Pretty much sums up my experiences driving around Denver too. Super frustrating after all the effort you put into making it a nice body on top of all else.

Im sorry Ken, that sucks really bad. Definitely a totaled frame on this one, take your good parts and find a fresh body. :grrr:

Back