• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 142S "I'll keep this one"

Duder, at this point, the game plan is to get it roadworthy. Once I'm happy with that, the T5 will go in. I'm still not sold on the turbo B20 or NA b234 idea after staring at it today. I definitely understand the 'insurmountable project' challenge blowing a car apart can bring, and intend to heed your advice (and yours, R32).

Any guesses or alternative diagnosis?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eCwH0_I-dfU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Duder, at this point, the game plan is to get it roadworthy. Once I'm happy with that, the T5 will go in. I'm still not sold on the turbo B20 or NA b234 idea after staring at it today. I definitely understand the 'insurmountable project' challenge blowing a car apart can bring, and intend to heed your advice (and yours, R32).

Good plan!

Any guesses or alternative diagnosis?

Well your rocker isn't moving at all, and it looks like the pushrod is not moving either, but can't see for sure. Meaning that if the pushrod isn't bent, and is the correct length, then it's either a lifter issue or a cam issue....right?

Calling Ian & Eric - HiPerfAuto batsignal...

That's the flattest cam lobe I've ever seen. Time for a new bump stick.

Definitely check the valve and lifter to make sure they move freely but flat lobes are fairly common on these engines.

That's the flattest cam lobe I've ever seen. Time for a new bump stick.

Definitely check the valve and lifter to make sure they move freely but flat lobes are fairly common on these engines.

Would that flat lobe explain the popping out of the carbs? It won't rev past ~2500rpm.

Got busy with the buffer this morning- I'm pretty pleased- I can now see my own shadow in the paint as well as the color of the sky. There are so many small scratches, I may need to wet-sand with 2000 grit before buffing.

syro1z8l.jpg

Xh7Dzfol.jpg

twP0LDol.jpg

USEyNKvl.jpg

nFQ5bCwl.jpg

It's a color! You may need a few rounds to get it properly shiny. Nice work though.

I have found that a round of IronX followed by clay bar before buffing will get rid of most of the crap that gets stuck in old paint. Will be much smoother and easier for the cutting compound to do its thing.

I probably need to start a build thread for my 145. Same color. Same year.
The difference was hilarious between compounded and non-compounded paint.

eKnJb6Ch.jpg

TYQzSD0h.jpg

That cam's even worse than the one I had to replace in my '75 245. Not too difficult of a job, though.

You have way more paint on your car than I ever did, but be careful with all that cutting. It's a bummer how much of my paint I've removed in three years of periodic cleaning and buffing.

You have way more paint on your car than I ever did, but be careful with all that cutting. It's a bummer how much of my paint I've removed in three years of periodic cleaning and buffing.

The cutting I did was pretty minor. Light pressure with the random orbital and a compound that is fairly fine just to bring the color out and motivate me to exist. Once I get the finish somewhat presentable/passable, I'm waxing it and leaving it.

In other news, I have reached a juncture. I am very much interested in installing my tan leather s60R seats I saved from the parts car. I removed the OG driver's seat and was able to figure out how to best mount/support/bracket the rails to the floor. Because of the cross member that runs across the floor under the OG seat, I have to elevate the seat to clear it. To do this, I am using some square stock and welding a plate and nut to the top of the 3" piece to bolt the seat to.

The question is- do I weld the 'risers' (square stock and home made riv-nuts) to the floor, or add another bolt plate to the bottom and drill through the floor. I am most likely cutting the carpet either way as it isn't excellent and I can always source a new one (black from VP- better on stains than gold/tan).

That car is so awesome, so many low effort high satisfaction issues to address.

Take the head off and throw that cam away!

That manual is all you need to take apart that little engine, they're super simple.

That car is so awesome, so many low effort high satisfaction issues to address.

Take the head off and throw that cam away!

That manual is all you need to take apart that little engine, they're super simple.

For the most part, they seem about as simple (just larger) as an MGB engine, which I used to get paid to work on.

I am extremely excited to get this car on the road and drive the piss out of it.

Back