• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 I am an idiot...

darksider415

Human.
I managed to /almost/ recover the 745 from a low-speed (25-30 mph) slide on a corner that I've driven hundreds of times before, and managed to run through a ditch and take out a mailbox... By the time I hit the ditch, I managed to get it slowed to 15... However, past that point, brakes don't work well on mud. :) Anyway, the car feels okay, except that my steering wheel alignment is slightly off. Other than that, the front end is nearly perfect.

So, my question is... Is there anything I could've broken when I took my little off-road adventure? The car feels the same, drives the same, but I'm still concerned that I may have damaged something that'll bite me in the rear, later. Any suggestions on what to check when I crawl under it, this weekend?

put your hands at 9 and 3 on your front tires and check for play, do again at 12 and 6. if you threw off your allignment, it is possible you could have busted ball joints or tie rod ends. also check to make sure your tie rods are still strait and such. look to see if your struts still look strait also. numerous things could have been effected by hitting something like that the way you did.

these things always happen on the corner or road we have driven hundreds of times.

You can check things over yourself...or just spend $15 for mechanic to check it over. $15 is worth peace of mind. judging by the speed its not likely and major damage was done. but checking the ball joints and tie rods is a very good idea.

Check for a body, that might be the problem.

No bodies... I would've noticed that when the owner of the mailbox pulled me out of the ditch. :) Fortunately, he was a nice guy and accepted cash for the mailbox repair.

these things always happen on the corner or road we have driven hundreds of times.

You can check things over yourself...or just spend $15 for mechanic to check it over. $15 is worth peace of mind. judging by the speed its not likely and major damage was done. but checking the ball joints and tie rods is a very good idea.

I looked the ball joints and tie rods over and compared the condition to the 744, and it seems that the car is good to go. Either that, or both cars are broken and I haven't noticed, yet. :lol:

I've got a lot more peace of mind after looking things over, however. These are amazingly tough little cars, I have to say.

you are *NOT* an idiot...an idiot would do that at a hunnert miles per and drunk as a
skunk waking up in jail next to his best Bud - BOTH of you reeking of vomit and hot
engine oil from trying to roll the crashed car back up on it's feet....

get the car UP on a lift or stands and SEE whatcha done....*GLAD YOU'RE OK*!! ;-)

I have watched many 740 rally vids and seen them take some nasty hits and keep on going. Some of the vids are of cars that are only lightly modded..IE rollcage and cams ect.

It was nice the owner of the mailbox didnt make a big deal out of it. You never know with people these days.

I keep my drifting limited to parking lots. Its emberassing if you lose a drift on the streets, worse if you take out of mail box...lol.
I havent done that yet, but did drift a car on a dirt road only to see my bosses (pregnant) wife coming around the corner. I hit the brakes and spun out into a driveway. Could have easily endend up in a ditch, or worse hit her. That was not long after I had my license. Important lesson learned. Got home later that day and Dad took the keys. Had to bike around for a week.
Oh, the '85 chevy celebrity is NOT a good drift car...lol

its never good to try and drift a FWD car using the parking brake...especially if the parking brake is foot operated!
I did have the chevy sliding at a nice angle till I saw her car tho. RWD is so much more perdictable! Ill take the 740 out in the snow any day over my '06 scion xb. Not that its a bad car, but lets leave the steering to the front tires and let the rear tires do the driving thankyou.

its never good to try and drift a FWD car using the parking brake...especially if the parking brake is foot operated!
I did have the chevy sliding at a nice angle till I saw her car tho. RWD is so much more perdictable! Ill take the 740 out in the snow any day over my '06 scion xb. Not that its a bad car, but lets leave the steering to the front tires and let the rear tires do the driving thankyou.
The only reason I want there to another snow storm is so I can go drifting!

Lucky... The closest thing to snow I see is an occasional smattering of white dust that melts on contact... Of course, that also means my car doesn't get to experience salt, so I guess it's not all bad.

:grrr:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fuiWF1QV8m4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back