• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Skunk's 142e Project Thread

skunked

I picked up this vintage jewel in a trade a few months back and since been lurking on TB acquiring info, parts and ideas for the car. It's a bone stock 73 142e with exception of the dash which has been converted over to what I believe is a late 70's 240 dash.

Anyway, here are some pics.

4732830791_b49a30c58e_b.jpg

4733446760_7c408d6294_b.jpg

4732802465_22b9a81d99_b.jpg

4732802397_5a8bbb2c12_b.jpg

4732802557_8b338a88d6_b.jpg

4732802749_8314834a2e_b.jpg

4704000657_1f9066c934_b.jpg

This is just a weekend play car for me so I'll be upgrading the suspension, wheels, manual trans swap and some doing some performance mods. Since it's a presmog car I may do a full swap down the road.

I've started a few little projects that I'll share and continue to update this thread.

Nice. 1973 was the first year for that type of dash. I think you have the original still in the car. You have very rare power steering. I have only come across one 140 series car in all these years that had PS.

thanks.

I found a couple other 73's that have the round vents. Plus this car had a tree branch go through the windshield smashing dash and blower so I figured the previous owner swapped it over. The dash is out now....
4733446580_a7ff384508_b.jpg

Nice! I love those seats. :nod: I think the 73+ 140 dash itself is the same as the 75-80 240 dash, but yeah you should have had the round vents instead of rectangle. Hey, at least you have vents in the dash!! My '71 only has defrost and floor vents, no vents in dash.

One of these days, we need to assemble all of the local 140s and snap a few pics.

Nice! I love those seats. :nod: I think the 73+ 140 dash itself is the same as the 75-80 240 dash, but yeah you should have had the round vents instead of rectangle. Hey, at least you have vents in the dash!! My '71 only has defrost and floor vents, no vents in dash.

One of these days, we need to assemble all of the local 140s and snap a few pics.

ah gotcha....well I need the whole damn dash, vents and new blower so it looks OG. It may still or may not have functional vents..lol

PS- Yes we need to get together for a photo op sometime.

I picked some Sirius wheels from 2manyturbos a couple months ago that I knocked down and prepped for paint. Over the weekend I had them wrapped with new falken rubber and installed along with chopped Wagon springs and front 10.5"x5" 300# true coils.

Back done, tucking those bad ass tires
4820901513_f105e0c419_b.jpg

with the rear wheels/new tires on
4826693105_a4004207b9_b.jpg

Starting the front in the early AM to avoid the heat
4828085513_b9ff1634a3_b.jpg

True Coil vs Stock Coil
4828692832_2cacb7bc4f_b.jpg

Then I realized the front shocks are garbage so I ran over and picked up a couple monroe's for now
4828717064_39a06c92c4_b.jpg

Tire comparison, 205/50/15's BTW
4828085637_977338b967_b.jpg

and her she is all done
4828085685_4e7afc4242_b.jpg

IPD front sway bar and new end links are on the way. The front isn't low enough so I need to figure something out there. Also, I need to modify the panhard bar length.

Very nice! Yeah, I'd like to find those same coils but .5-1.0" shorter. Been having a pain of a time finding them in the correct spring type though.

Hey, before I forget - you need to go out to the Rancho PnP and snatch the front brake setup off that '73 164E. Having vented discs up front is gooooood. That same 164 also had a brandy-new Cibie right-hand taillamp lens on it too. Would be a good spare for yours to keep on the shelf. ;-)

Very nice! Yeah, I'd like to find those same coils but .5-1.0" shorter. Been having a pain of a time finding them in the correct spring type though.

Hey, before I forget - you need to go out to the Rancho PnP and snatch the front brake setup off that '73 164E. Having vented discs up front is gooooood. That same 164 also had a brandy-new Cibie right-hand taillamp lens on it too. Would be a good spare for yours to keep on the shelf. ;-)

I hear ya, best I've found is a pair of 8.5" springs. I found a guy with one 9".....

I need to head out to Rancho for those dash parts too, thanks for the tip.

Nice find I love my 73 142, I drive it almost every day! Mine has full IPD suspension (springs bars,billy HDs, poly bushing} and I installed aan adjustable panhard rod handles great]. I also ported the head and installed full isky valve train and cam realy woke the motor up. Although I am thinking about a VPD cam for a more modern design. Great cars glad to see someone building another cool 142
JERIC

I assume you fabricated the panhard bar? I haven't been able to source one.

PS- I received some good info from your threads, thanks.

Last edited:

+1. Saw someone in the know snagged the last set that stumbled into the yards.

Yes, that dash has the same style cluster, but with round vents and I seem to remember grey centerline plastic. The grey w/ round was there on my 74 but not on the 79. The best dash is the one without a nile river of cracks.

I had sirius for my 70 but it was manual steering and a parallel parked car, so I went back to 165s. Good you can make use of them, they look killer on 140s.

Have some random m40/m41 manual trans and 140 parts kicking around in Sac should you need them.

Sweet, straight car. Great original interior too.

thanks.

I found a couple other 73's that have the round vents. Plus this car had a tree branch go through the windshield smashing dash and blower so I figured the previous owner swapped it over. The dash is out now....
4733446580_a7ff384508_b.jpg

I forgot all about the round vents. It should have those. I kind of skipped the 73-74 140s. I had several 71-72s.

Healthy looking car, I see the US versions received the bigger bumpers a year earlier than europe, overhere they came the same time with the change of doors without the vents..

Your tires seem a bit too small in diameter, I take it you'll take the lower mileage that comes with it..?

+1. Saw someone in the know snagged the last set that stumbled into the yards.

Yes, that dash has the same style cluster, but with round vents and I seem to remember grey centerline plastic. The grey w/ round was there on my 74 but not on the 79. The best dash is the one without a nile river of cracks.

I had sirius for my 70 but it was manual steering and a parallel parked car, so I went back to 165s. Good you can make use of them, they look killer on 140s.

Have some random m40/m41 manual trans and 140 parts kicking around in Sac should you need them.

Sweet, straight car. Great original interior too.

yep, this is what it should look like.
4835106020_e1569795e9_b.jpg

Thanks for the offer on the parts. When I get into the swap something may pop up.

I always thought Sirius wheels looked good on 140s

X2, my favorite of the factory wheels.

Healthy looking car, I see the US versions received the bigger bumpers a year earlier than europe, overhere they came the same time with the change of doors without the vents..

Your tires seem a bit too small in diameter, I take it you'll take the lower mileage that comes with it..?

I rarely drive this car so mpg is the least of my concerns.

Last edited:
IPD front sway bar and new end links are on the way. The front isn't low enough so I need to figure something out there. Also, I need to modify the panhard bar length.

Looking good.
74's has power steering 3.56 lock to lock iirc.

Be sure to reinforce the front sway mounting point on the lower A arm with a fat bead of weld or preferably welded on triangles.

not sure yet, I'm on the fence.

I haven't drove it very much other than a little bit around town so I'm not sure if it's ready for a 2+hr drive down to the Bay.

Back