• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fitting BMW Style 42 BBS on a 245.

15mm Spacer all round Adjustable pan rod and torque rods are needed.

38754149764_b8ddd1d972_z.jpg

MikeJr. Was fitting 225/45-16 T/A Firebird wheels all around with
25 mm spacers. He cut the entire lip off and panel-bonded the inner and outer sheet metal before painting the car. No clearance problems at all, with coil overs.

Yes but the way I did it has to be body worked and painted.
Before paint
149757081.jpg

149891133.jpg

149757089.jpg

After paint
156208272.jpg

156208277.jpg

161232331.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhh the wheel fitment bit been sorted out. I recently painted a wagon and it came out looking like I have many lessons to learn :lol:

That is the proper way to do. Very nice as always Mike.

Much easier to get it done if you are painting.

Harald, your car is jacked up thanks to Asher's butchery. You'll need someone like Mike to fix it and then repaint if you ever want it to be nice again. It's not just a modify then paint anymore. Fixing someone else's mistakes is always terrible.

That is the proper way to do. Very nice as always Mike.

Much easier to get it done if you are painting.

Harald, your car is jacked up thanks to Asher's butchery. You'll need someone like Mike to fix it and then repaint if you ever want it to be nice again. It's not just a modify then paint anymore. Fixing someone else's mistakes is always terrible.

At least rust is not much of a problem here. The car will need to be repainted in the next year or two though, once I recover from painting the wagon. It's so much work.

I'm willing to bribe experienced folks to teach me how to do this properly. Preemptively planting the seed.

Originally they just need a light roll to clear the 17x9 et15 (et25 wheel, 10mm spacer) with 245/40-17 Federal SS595's and they didn't rub. Now we are switching wheels to the Style 42 BMW BBS wheels. They are 17x8 et1 (et20 wheel, 19mm adapter), so the offset because we are running adapters is where all the problems come in. I have rolled the fenders more and the 215/45-17 tires no longer rub. I used a 5lb sledge carefully, but heavily to roll the lip. I need to try the 225's in the rear again to see if they still rub. If the 225's fit I'd probably just stop there and call it good enough.

What Dave posted is basically how they modified Group A cars back in the day to fit race tires on them.

I think I want to raise the rear 1/2-1". It looks too squatted in pics. In person it looks fine. Also worried about when we have trailer loaded with 2 karts and car loaded with all of our gear. Might add a air bag helper system for when we are fully loaded.

This is from today where I did some more rolling and worked on the trailer that will eventually match. Car currently has 225/45's on the front, 215/45's on the rear and the trailer has used 235/45's that came with the wheels. Goal at this point is to have 225/45's everywhere. Trailer is lowered 2" and I added wider fenders to cover the 225's.

39461618801_10ca2f3b9e_c.jpg

Sorry about bringing up an old thread. But I?ll be in the same boat when I mount my Style 42 ET20 with 20mm adapters on my Wagon. I didn?t see any mention of the lowering specs.
Is the car on lowering springs or cut springs. And if cut springs can you share how much been cut front and back.
Thank you. And beautiful car.

Me2. I come back to this thread from time to time just for planning purposes and as much to take a look at the Tuff's 245. I'm always looking at the combination trim on members cars.

This one without eye shadow and door cladding but with mud flaps and beltline moulding is out the park. My favorite snub nose ever.

Me2. I come back to this thread from time to time just for planning purposes and as much to take a look at the Tuff's 245. I'm always looking at the combination trim on members cars.

This one without eye shadow and door cladding but with mud flaps and beltline moulding is out the park. My favorite snub nose ever.

This is his lowering HOW TO page. It has the specs he always used for cutting 240 springs.
http://www.tuff242.com/lowering.htm
EDIT 2021: The above page has been deleted, so I have restored it here: https://www.240turbo.com/tuff242_lowering.html
Dave B

Last edited:
Sorry about bringing up an old thread. But I?ll be in the same boat when I mount my Style 42 ET20 with 20mm adapters on my Wagon. I didn?t see any mention of the lowering specs.
Is the car on lowering springs or cut springs. And if cut springs can you share how much been cut front and back.
Thank you. And beautiful car.

I have Style 19 which are 17x8 et 20 as well. I have 25mm and 32mm spacers. We will see how that works out. I'm presently stock height.

A few moons since Tuff last logged in. I hope he is well.

Back