• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2 questions (boost gauge & LED's)

NiM130

Mark it 8, dude.
1.) How do I go about installing an aftermarket boost gauge in place of the stock one? As in, where do the specific wires go to give it juice? I need something a little more accurate than the stock gauge, especially since I'm planning to tinker with the car a lot during the summer.

2.) What type of LED's are in the 740's instrument panel? They are dull and some bright red LED's would be nice. Can I just stick them right in or does anything need to be done with them.

I searched both of these topics and can't find a lot. I know I've seen several LED threads too but I couldn't find them.

I know, these are n00btastic questions too for most of you guys. I gotta start somewhere though!

Yeah you can hook L,E,Ds to the dimmer circuit . i got bored one day and pulled my dash cluster out ,took out some of the bulbs in back and soldered l.e.ds right in place of the socket . O fcourse it wasnt totally secure, but it worked great and was frickin bright!!

1.) How do I go about installing an aftermarket boost gauge in place of the stock one? As in, where do the specific wires go to give it juice? I need something a little more accurate than the stock gauge, especially since I'm planning to tinker with the car a lot during the summer.

2.) What type of LED's are in the 740's instrument panel? They are dull and some bright red LED's would be nice. Can I just stick them right in or does anything need to be done with them.

I searched both of these topics and can't find a lot. I know I've seen several LED threads too but I couldn't find them.

I know, these are n00btastic questions too for most of you guys. I gotta start somewhere though!

1) any wire that gets power when the lights are on, and a solid ground will get the gauge to light up. but i dont think thats what you're asking.

a boost gauge is not an electrical thing, it is controlled by a vacuum signal. to hook it up you can either T off the only vacuum line under the steering wheel and run both gauges, or you can just simply disconnect the stock gauge and run the line direct.

2) i dont know, but run a search as im positive this has been covered like crazy before.

jumpy, that was what I was asking for #1.. is there any specific place that I could wire it that would be best? I'd just use the stock vaccuum line to hook it up.

For #2, if there are no leds in the dash, what kind of lights are back there?

Thanks for fielding my dumb questions guys.

The stock bulbs are incandescent. They shine their light almost in a complete sphere and there are prism type plastic that channel the light to other areas of the cluster. The problem with leds is they shine their light straight ahead with maybe a 30- 35 degree angle. The light doesn't get picked up by the "prisms" and channeled elsewhere. The solution of course would be super wide angle leds or installing more of them to light everything evenly.

As for the gauge lighting, hook it up to the rear fog light switch illumination. This way you can dim.

The stock bulbs are incandescent. They shine their light almost in a complete sphere and there are prism type plastic that channel the light to other areas of the cluster. The problem with leds is they shine their light straight ahead with maybe a 30- 35 degree angle. The light doesn't get picked up by the "prisms" and channeled elsewhere. The solution of course would be super wide angle leds or installing more of them to light everything evenly.

As for the gauge lighting, hook it up to the rear fog light switch illumination. This way you can dim.

If I replaced with colored incandescent blubs, would the light output be pitiful?

As for the gauge, that's a great idea.

If I replaced with colored incandescent blubs, would the light output be pitiful?

Hard to say, but probably ok if you do blue. There's also a layer of colored film stuffed in there somewhere so try different color combinations. Hint: Buy a pack of sharpies and color the bulbs.

I'm thinking red actually. Maybe I'll do blue. I know there are pictures of both colors on here somwehere but I can't find them.

go to a hobby store and get some clear candy coat paint in the color you want?

that would be clear, easy to apply (dip the bulbs in a little) and should last.

go to a hobby store and get some clear candy coat paint in the color you want?

that would be clear, easy to apply (dip the bulbs in a little) and should last.

+100000

the sharpies do wear off, but this stuff wont. cheaper than leds and probably more effective. but not as reliable.

you can buy colored bulbs for like a buck a piece.. blue ones were too dim but red are just bright enough.. I'm gonna put some wide angle led's in though..

Back