• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

White 83 242 Commuter

So typical TB form over function?

Or tweak for tweek's sake?

:uh:

I have a good one here for a lot less than that.

:grin:

Yes, the stripped trim is purely form over function.

Frankly, I wasn't planning on getting a whole lot of usage out of the rubber door strips. I'm not all that worried about a hypothetical ding that may or may not happen someday in a parking lot now that I removed the tiny additional rubber bumpers from my trim. I certainly won't lose sleep over my side trim being marginally less functional than it used to be.

Bottom line is just that I think it looks better. On a white car, the pure stainless trim doesn't stand out as much as the black rubber, and doesn't create such a brutal visual division at the body line. This trim is more subtle, and I dig that. It was a very pleasant surprise when I peeled back the rubber from the one section that was the worst damaged, and realized it didn't slide into a slot or something. That being said, I don't know if it would look better or worse on a dark colored car. But it looks great on white!

I winced a bit at butchering some usable 242-only trim pieces, but every one of the pieces had some sort of damage on it. So it's not like I ran through an automotive museum destroying priceless car parts.

In case you hadn't noticed, this car has flathood/singleround/cut springs/subwoofer/BBS/etc. Yes, Ken, this is a typical textbook ruined turbobricks car. I'm enjoying the piss out of it, and this is exactly what I bought it to do.

Last edited:
I don't get it, that rub rail is the best part of the Dl trim, now it's as vulnerable as 140 trim to denting, and still doesn't look as good.
It's stainless steel. Pop it off, knock out the dent and refinish it. :e-shrug:

83's are my favorite so I really like the original unmodified trim. That being said, the modified ones don't look at all bad.

Yes, the stripped trim is purely form over function.

Frankly, I wasn't planning on getting a whole lot of usage out of the rubber door strips. I'm not all that worried about a hypothetical ding that may or may not happen someday in a parking lot now that I removed the tiny additional rubber bumpers from my trim. I certainly won't lose sleep over my side trim being marginally less functional than it used to be.

Bottom line is just that I think it looks better. On a white car, the pure stainless trim doesn't stand out as much as the black rubber, and doesn't create such a brutal visual division at the body line. This trim is more subtle, and I dig that. It was a very pleasant surprise when I peeled back the rubber from the one section that was the worst damaged, and realized it didn't slide into a slot or something. That being said, I don't know if it would look better or worse on a dark colored car. But it looks great on white!

I winced a bit at butchering some usable 242-only trim pieces, but every one of the pieces had some sort of damage on it. So it's not like I ran through an automotive museum destroying priceless car parts.

In case you hadn't noticed, this car has flathood/singleround/cut springs/subwoofer/BBS/etc. Yes, Ken, this is a typical textbook ruined turbobricks car. I'm enjoying the piss out of it, and this is exactly what I bought it to do.

It's your car, and your prerogative, I'm just stating my opinions on the trim.

Looking good, onward...

Road trip was a huge success. A++ Will Volvo road trip again.

I got the back seat all set up so my daughter could comfortably nap the whole time, giving my wife and I the opportunity to listen to music with bad words in it, and talk about whatever we wanted. LOL

Love how water beads up on freshly waxed OG Volvo paint.

And a couple of standard operating procedure gas station shots.

The only things I got done this weekend was the installation of a driver's side mudflap, topping off the oil, and installing a fog light switch in anticipation of the fog lights that I'm hoping to pick up soon. I want to put some cheap H3 HID kits into some original style fog lights. That way I won't be obnoxiously running cheapass HID lights every time my headlights are on, but I will be able to light up these incredibly dark forest roads at night as needed.
Problem is, I don't really want to mount them super low where they'll get broken easily, but I think GT grills are way too ugly. I'll figure something else out.

god damn it ThOmas I have like 3-4 different styles of old school fogs...

ummm - I hate to be the bad news bearer but thats Olaf and not a person,.....

are you even married ?

god damn it ThOmas I have like 3-4 different styles of old school fogs...

ummm - I hate to be the bad news bearer but thats Olaf and not a person,.....

are you even married ?

Why do you keep holding out on me? You should have guessed that I wanted fog lights. BTW, you should sell me that $20 Recaro so that I can reupholster it in diagonal Volvo tan cloth. I'll offer $15 for it.

And WTF man? Olaf? There's no need to insult my chilrens like that.

Why do you keep holding out on me? You should have guessed that I wanted fog lights. BTW, you should sell me that $20 Recaro so that I can reupholster it in diagonal Volvo tan cloth. I'll offer $15 for it.

And WTF man? Olaf? There's no need to insult my chilrens like that.

I'll upholster it in that fabric and use it as my chair before I sell you that seat... I have and obligation to keep these parts away from Disney characters

Yesterday evening I had a rare opportunity to follow my own car home. And it also gave me the chance to get photographic evidence that my wife likes driving it!

Unfortunately, it also got me wanting to buy some 20mm rear spacers and further abuse the rear wheel wells.

**** the spacers, it looks good that way and handles better with a narrower rear than front

Edit: how much did you pay those actors to pretend they are your family?

Check out how that worked out for me.

I release my dibs btw.

Skimmed through your thread.. are you implying that it worked well? Or did you run into some issues?
I'm on the fence about the spacers only because I think it'd look great to force a 255 tire on the back wheels.

Your Bimmer wheels look great! Good job. Glad you're not sitting around waiting for these, because they're not going anywhere anytime soon. LOL

**** the spacers, it looks good that way and handles better with a narrower rear than front

Edit: how much did you pay those actors to pretend they are your family?

Narrow handles better? You mean by helping induce oversteer? This pig will never get to that point, and in fact, I'd prefer to generate understeer if anything. Turbo 911s had wider rear tracks to try and keep the damn things from spinning backwards and killing people. That's what I want, for my daily commute over the mountain. Slow, steady, and predictable. That and a $15 Recaro seat.

Oh, and you got me. Here's the original, untouched image:

Skimmed through your thread.. are you implying that it worked well? Or did you run into some issues?
I'm on the fence about the spacers only because I think it'd look great to force a 255 tire on the back wheels.

Your Bimmer wheels look great! Good job. Glad you're not sitting around waiting for these, because they're not going anywhere anytime soon. LOL

Oh, zero offset worked very well for me on mine, along with moving the axle forward 3/4" wity these 215/45s that run wider than my 225/50 Pilot Sport A/S3s in the other car.

As for 255s...I'd be on the fence there. It looks like I could get away with about 20mm more tire. It really depends on the actual measured section and treadwidths, as they vary drastically between tire designs.

Slow progress lately, but still plugging away. My only chance to work on it this weekend fell right in the middle of a little rain storm, which is rare for us especially at this time of year. But luckily, there's a spot at the back of the driveway with a pretty thick Redwood tree canopy, so I stayed pretty dry.

First, I took the temporary 940 overflow tank off, and put on the stock 240 tank that I got from Volvowagoon:

Before

After

Also got a bitchin OEM green gas cap from him, to replace my janky aftermarket one:

I got a nice used 5 panel tail light from TempleUWS6 to replace the one I had with a broken turn signal lens, and gave it a little restoration before installing it. Nothing crazy, just wire brushed all the contacts, scrubbed the inside and outside of all the lenses with dish soap and water with a toothbrush, glued the reverse lens back on with silicone, then polished and waxed the outsides of the lenses.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

I like how it makes the tail light looks smaller, because the white blends with the car body. I just hope I can get to the other one next weekend. For now, driving around all lobsided.

The one thing I did that was a little different ( I always have to do something different) was to paint the housing bright white behind the reverse lens. I did that just to make it look brighter and cleaner, and it worked. There wasn't any reflector to speak of, it was just a puke yellow color with no chrome on it, so I don't think I reduced the amount of light. Plus, the reverse lights don't work yet anyway.

For now, I have ordered a batch of parts from IPD. Been busy working on my wife's gym, so I haven't gotten that much of a chance to work on the 242. I only had like 4 hours this whole weekend. But I hope to make some better progress soon, once things settle down a bit with the gym.

Back