• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

If you get a new innerfender I'd be glad to repair that the right way for you. Its always bothered me, that repaor was done when I was 17 by a local guy I knew. It would be easy to make it look like nothing ever happend.

This stuff showed up:

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

50 sq ft of Fat Mat Rattle Trap & 100 sq ft of Mass Loaded Vinyl.

Started on the passenger door. 25% minimum coverage is all I am shooting for with the Rattle Trap.
IMG_3749.jpg

More progress this weekend.

Measured and cut out the strut tower opening to make room for camber plate adjustment.
IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

Finally wrapped up the prep and sprayed the engine bay with Spray Max 2K epoxy primer. For an aerosol can, this stuff is pretty great.
IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3806.JPG

Then I pulled the dash out of the wagon. This is in way worse condition than I realized. Not sure what I'll end up doing with this.
IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

I'll be using some of the blue interior trim from the wagon for this car, so I tried out Duplicolor interior paint. Seems to be pretty good.
IMG_3836.JPG

Last edited:
I used some of that duplicolor interior paint on my kick panels and it turned sorta dull and white-ish in about a year. I've had much better luck with the sem paint Ipd offers.

I used some of that duplicolor interior paint on my kick panels and it turned sorta dull and white-ish in about a year. I've had much better luck with the sem paint Ipd offers.

Josh,

Check out Industrial Finishes, or Bob's Paintland in Vancouver. Their prices on SEM trim paint are way better than IPD's. Also, Bob's Paintland can color match anything you bring them. I've had very good success with them.

Arnt you cutting that innerfender out so I can weld it???

Swapping from the almost mint early dash :(?

I'll save the inner fender from the wagon in case I want to replace it, but for right now this is fine. It looks way better than I expected it would, and this isn't going to be a show car.

I prefer the later dash, and as an added bonus it already has an electric speedo.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to order some SEM paint.

Make sure you apply paint pretty quickly after the 2k primer. Otherwise you may lose adhesion qualities and may need to resand in order to get it to stick.
Personally, with primer I'd scuff regardless.

Thanks for the tip. The manufacturer recommended scuffing if you topcoat after 12 hours, so I will definitely be scuffing it tonight before I paint it.

Tom, that 87 dash is in better shape than my 244's dash by a long shot. Mine easily has 10 more cracks above the instrumentation alone, not to mention the rest of the thing. I might be interested, if you're willing to hang on to it for a bit (nature of my job and all) and assuming you're not going to use it.

The 75-80 dash is better anyway. :nod:

Exceptional work. Keep it up. :)

Thanks!

Tom, that 87 dash is in better shape than my 244's dash by a long shot. Mine easily has 10 more cracks above the instrumentation alone, not to mention the rest of the thing. I might be interested, if you're willing to hang on to it for a bit (nature of my job and all) and assuming you're not going to use it.

The 75-80 dash is better anyway. :nod:

The 87 dash is going in the car. I went ahead and spent quite a bit of time repairing all of the cracks in the dash with Bondo/3M flexible bumper repair kits. It took two kits to fix everything. If you are interested in the early dash, shoot me a PM.

Two quick pictures: (I will update this week as more significant things are completed)

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3911.JPG

I've been spending a lot of time cleaning, prepping, and painting. I can't wait to be beyond this part of the project. Very rewarding, but very tedious.

Last edited:
After the clearcoat fully cured, I took my harbor freight DA to it to clean it up some.

This is really hard to capture in pictures because the lighting is crap on this side of the garage, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

IMG_3969.jpg

Back