• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.2 chips may be a reality

F

frpe82

LH2.2 chips may be a reality.

I have got 740ATL and canuckvolvo to send me their LH2.2 ECU?s for evaluation. The 541 and 591 are the numbers are the ones lended to me, and those are the ones that at least 95% of you use.

When I started the "Chips for redblocks" group-buy thread and introduced the LH2.4 chips, I got a lot (and I mean a lot) of questions wether or not LH2.2 would also be included some day. The "Chips for redblocks" thread will have a good shot at getting a real "Chips for (all) redblocks" thread now, and not only for the LH2.4 redblocks.

I have really not got any real response from anyone since I announced the possibility of a future chip even though it seems like it is badly wanted... SO COME ON GUYS, ANNOUNCE YOUR INTEREST!

Tell me that you are interested by sending me a simple PM and I will list you as interested buyers. It will not be a commitment to buy anything. When the day comes, you will be asked if you want to buy it or not, now or in a later group-buy.

Lists and all other info can be found here: Chips for redblocks

You all will be notified the minute I get the results from the LH2.2 ECU tests.

Happy driving,
Fredrik

I have two -541 LH2.2 Turbo ecu's, and I believe one has the chip that can be removed. I think the user was called "Jak", a Saab guy who posted here a long time ago about chipping the LH2.2 ecu, if it was the type with a removable chip. I don't know anything more about them, and I'm now running Megasquirt, so I'm no longer interested. ;-)

What's the status Fredrik? I haven't noticed many guys responding about 2.2 in the main thread, so I thought I'd bump this one up in hopes the title catches more attention.

C'mon guys, speak up, let's generate some interest for Fred so we can keep up with the 2.4 people!

As you know, I have received your LH2.2 ECU (591), and I am still waiting for a package from Atlanta as well (541).

As soon as I have both ECU?s they will be thoroughly tested and a LH2.2 chip will be offered in my group-buy thread.

benflynn said:
can you pull the chip and put in a socket like on ms
Yes.

All LH2.4 ECU?s have socketed chips but unfortunately LH2.2 ECU?s don?t.

On LH2.2 the chips are almost always soldered to the board. When you order the chip, you will get a package with a chip + a chip socket. That way you can solder in the socket instead of a chip, and then you don?t have to risk any damage to the chip. You can also easily swap between the two chips.

blkaplan said:
what are you going to do about the ICU?

It is the bigger problem for the lh2.2 240 guys...
I will quote Otis, a member of this forum which I have had some contact with.

(I will get back to you Otis. I have just had a lot of chip-related things on my mind that needs to be sorted out first...)

Otis said:
Not all ICU boxes with the part number 0 261 201 012 are the same (at least in North America). There are at least 2 versions that I am aware of, 1st generation up to 1987 and 2nd generation for 1988 and 1989 (the turbo cars from 1990 onwards got LH 2.4 IIRC). ...

... LH2.2 cars exported to North America until 1987 used an Intel 8049 microcontroller (usually built by Phillips under licence) in their ICU box. The hardware on the motherboard on these early boxes is considerably more complicated to look at than the 1988 + boxes. The 1st generation boxes with Intel 8049 chips used two motherboards (or, more accurately, a motherboard and a daughterboard), and they are PACKED with components.

Most importantly, the 8049 chip on the 1st generation box is so primative that it has no security features for "dumping" the binary file.

Some time in 1988, the 0 261 201 012 Bosch ICU boxes in North American export Volvo cars switched over from the Intel 8049 to some kind of more modern Motorola chip. There is only a single motherboard in these newer ICU boxes, and the hardware on the motherboard is much simpler. The Motorolla chip does pretty much everything by itself.

The problem is the Motorola chip has security features, and cannot be "dumped".

This is a very irritating change in layout, but I will try to fix this issue somehow though...

And yes, the LH2.2 EZK-boxes (EZ117K) will also have to be soldered.

I'll look for my two 541 LH2.2 Turbo ECUs and open them up...as I recall one had the chip on the board and one was "chippable" like LH2.4 with a socket. I'm not sure though, as it's been a couple of years since this was last discussed and I haven't looked at them since then.

blkaplan said:
I was refering to the chrystler ignition that the 240s received, we weren't lucky enough to get ezk
All LH2.2 turbo cars has the EZ117K ignition ECU.

EDIT:// Did 240´s even come with a turbo engine with LH2.2? I thought that only the 740´s did.

No turbo 240's with 2.2 in N. america.

I have a 5 or so LH2.2 computers laying around that i can take a apart to see about chip-ability and check for differences.

I somehow managed to miss this thread the first time around, so i'll stick my head in and say i'm interested, and also say that a local tbricker V70R740t will most likely also be interested.

I would love to be able to toss in some larger injectors, a larger turbo, a cam, and some chips to make it all come together smoothly and efficiently! I'd really not like to go to MS on a daily driver.. shame i have this 89 744ti and not a 95 945ti.. oh well..

frpe82 said:
All LH2.2 turbo cars has the EZ117K ignition ECU.

EDIT:// Did 240?s even come with a turbo engine with LH2.2? I thought that only the 740?s did.

No they didn't but that doesn't stop the US owners from slapping a turbo on their lh2.2 240's.

If you had a solution for ignition and fuel,,,, mainly ignition for the 240 you would make some peoples lives very easy

Since I now own an LH2.2 Turbo car, I'll put my name in as 'Tentative.' I'll check my ECU to see what I've got to work with.

blkaplan said:
No they didn't but that doesn't stop the US owners from slapping a turbo on their lh2.2 240's.

If you had a solution for ignition and fuel,,,, mainly ignition for the 240 you would make some peoples lives very easy
Those 240 owners are too lazy to just wire in the EZK...but they will put in megasquirt no problem. ;-)

this is true,

its about the same amount of work to put an megasquirt in as it is an ezk, so why not go all the way?

Back