• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Modding your 2.3L FWD Turbo Volvo 850, 70-series

helrazor said:
Hey, nice job. Tell me more about my car, if you would!! I'm dying to here more stuff about it. Turbo type, trans ID, that kind of stuff. All I can tell you is that I really hooks up and goes pretty well for a little 5 banger. It's quicker than my old Chevelle I had.

'01 V70 T5 (high pressure), has the geartronic trans (LSD?), fly-by-wire.

ME 7 engine management with electronic throttle... 5 speed auto/geartronic (don't know the ratios), no LSD, 16T turbo... Cool platform, Rob (on this site as Rob @ Volvomotorsports I think) made something like 330 hp on his 19T (upgraded) 2001 C70. They work :)

So the Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC) is not a sort of LSD? 247 HP correct? Thanks for the info.

ok , so being a newbie to this turbo stuff * V-8 mustang kinda guy * im seeing that the recipe for decent power levels requires a chip and exhaust ..... that is not produced by very many companies and have the monopoly .... therefore have outrageous prices :omg:

So , say I opt the 800 dollars for a chip which gains 50 hp ..... not bad ........ But decide against the 1400 dollar exhaust that nets 10 - 15 hp ..... kinda rediculous .

Will the chip still gain me 50 hp without the exh mods ?

MuscleVolvo said:
ok , so being a newbie to this turbo stuff * V-8 mustang kinda guy * im seeing that the recipe for decent power levels requires a chip and exhaust ..... that is not produced by very many companies and have the monopoly .... therefore have outrageous prices :omg:

So , say I opt the 800 dollars for a chip which gains 50 hp ..... not bad ........ But decide against the 1400 dollar exhaust that nets 10 - 15 hp ..... kinda rediculous .

Will the chip still gain me 50 hp without the exh mods ?

If money is a concern, go with Upsolute (~$400?) for a chip and exhaust custom fabricated locally. I chipped my car and got turbo-back exhaust (with high flow cat and muffler) for $1100 total, and I have a higher end chip.

If $400 still seems too expensive, look for chips on e-bay from Speedtuning USA, I believe they are $299. They are also legitimate.

EricF said:
If money is a concern, go with Upsolute (~$400?) for a chip and exhaust custom fabricated locally. I chipped my car and got turbo-back exhaust (with high flow cat and muffler) for $1100 total, and I have a higher end chip.

If $400 still seems too expensive, look for chips on e-bay from Speedtuning USA, I believe they are $299. They are also legitimate.
Well , I may be a newbie to turbo volvos , but have been racing mustangs for quite some time . So when you say is money a concern ..... well lets see ..... I spent a little over 6 grand last year in my 90 GT this past year , but also spent it with the " best bang for the buck " attitude .

So , when i see a chip for 800 bucks , that raises the output of that volvos power plant 30 % .... im like wow . Thats good . Im sold .

Then i see a 1400 dollar downpipe that nets 10 hp ..... im like .... yea whatever .

Question is tho ..... will the chip perform the huge hp gain by adding the Chip alone ?

And whats this i hear about rods giving out from the wrong combo ? Thats scary .

instead of spending 600+ on a nice chip... couldn't you just buy a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator, a msd boost timing master, and a boost controller????

where could i find a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator for a volvo? (97 t5)

Last edited:
naTRON said:
instead of spending 600+ on a nice chip... couldn't you just buy a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator, a msd boost timing master, and a boost controller????

where could i find a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator for a volvo? (97 t5)

A chip is a better means of tuning, really. Not to mention the stock chips have fuel cutout at 14-15 psi...

You could try that and probably have decent results, but you could get a chip and get the same result more reliably and for less money.

EricF said:
A chip is a better means of tuning, really. Not to mention the stock chips have fuel cutout at 14-15 psi...

You could try that and probably have decent results, but you could get a chip and get the same result more reliably and for less money.

:cool: the only reason i am hesitant to buy a chip is because i want the flexibility of being able to control boost levels myself, so i guess the best thing for me would be a chip + boost controller????

thanks man!!! :-D

naTRON said:
:cool: the only reason i am hesitant to buy a chip is because i want the flexibility of being able to control boost levels myself, so i guess the best thing for me would be a chip + boost controller????

thanks man!!! :-D

yup... buy the chip for the upgraded fuel maps.. and then happy boosting :)

Gee , I must be writing in clear ink again ....... 3rd times the charm maybe

Will the chip still gain me the 50 hp without the exhaust mods ?

MuscleVolvo said:
Gee , I must be writing in clear ink again ....... 3rd times the charm maybe

Will the chip still gain me the 50 hp without the exhaust mods ?

On most cars, it won't give you 50 hp even with exhaust. It's still the most wortwhile upgrade for these cars though by a long shot. Chip, exhaust, and boost controller should set you in the low 14s with very few exceptions.

Can't wait EricF. Keep up the good work!

- Gregory Shepertycky

think_07 said:
So how are those additions coming along?

- Gregory Shepertycky

Well I've got some strange stuff going on with my car situation right now... And it is possible that I will be driving an 850 with megasquirt fuel control and an 18T turbo soon, so I'm waiting to see how things materialize really.

That would be make for a much more interesting article I think :)

Though I suppose I could break it down into multiple issues (general information and rules of thumb for FWD cars, then the hybrid turbo experience, then the stand-alone fuel experience)... We'll see. There will be a lot more information forthcoming though :)

EricF: great post, and quite informative. its also nice to know that the FWD cars work well with worn parts.. :p hehe

my question, being that you were refering to Turbo, T5 and T5-R's, is if the information you provided can be applied to a Light Pressure Turbo car. I currently have a 97 GLT, and is not slouchy, but i have the bug to make it quicker.

i think my 97 GLT has a 2.4L engine w/LPT (i've had the car for 4 weeks, so im still learning) as opposed to the 2.3L T, T5, or T5R...is this an advantage for fitting a bigger turbo? does the LPT have a higher Compression that the regular T, T5, ot T5R, which would limit the size/type of turbo to be fitted? is there a computer problem when the larger turbo is fitted for proper fuel delivery, and air speed to the sensor. what PSI is a LPT set at?

im sorry if im overwhelming you with these questions. i would like to get more info on the tuning possibilities of a GLT, but there seems to be not too much info out there, but im still researching. i'm going to look through the sites you put links to later on.

thanks

The one thing that I noticed you guys forgot to discuss was cams.....most people that have the T5 cars don't bother considering other cams, HOWEVER there is a very cheap option when it comes to cams. Get a set of N/A cams from like a GLT or something. They will have higher lift, and when it comes to high performance on T5 engines, they will help you yield more potential out of your engine. They can be found cheap on Ebay, and other sources. I got a set for $60 shipped. I've seen them on Ebay for $9.99 plus shipping. But you might also spend upwards of $200.....shop wisely.

Also worth mentioning is the newer exhaust manifold, AKA Japan manifold....outflows the older one by far. That combined with a 19T, GLT cams and so forth, will give you a fast car to say the least!!!!

On certain early R models, they had the reverse intercooler flow setup.....I did this on the '94 850 turbo I had, and the biggest difference I noticed was quicker throttle response, in my mind, it's worth doing, if it's done right.....flush and clean intercooler, etc. One of the benefits would be that the air has a much shorter distance to travel, and fewer bends.

Just my 2 cents.....

1 riktig svensk said:
The one thing that I noticed you guys forgot to discuss was cams.....most people that have the T5 cars don't bother considering other cams, HOWEVER there is a very cheap option when it comes to cams. Get a set of N/A cams from like a GLT or something. They will have higher lift, and when it comes to high performance on T5 engines, they will help you yield more potential out of your engine. They can be found cheap on Ebay, and other sources. I got a set for $60 shipped. I've seen them on Ebay for $9.99 plus shipping. But you might also spend upwards of $200.....shop wisely.

Also worth mentioning is the newer exhaust manifold, AKA Japan manifold....outflows the older one by far. That combined with a 19T, GLT cams and so forth, will give you a fast car to say the least!!!!

On certain early R models, they had the reverse intercooler flow setup.....I did this on the '94 850 turbo I had, and the biggest difference I noticed was quicker throttle response, in my mind, it's worth doing, if it's done right.....flush and clean intercooler, etc. One of the benefits would be that the air has a much shorter distance to travel, and fewer bends.

Just my 2 cents.....

Good points :)

I had the GLT cams in my black 850 before it died... I did too many mods at the same time to see how that affected things though.

I have mixed feelings about reverse intercooler piping, and one thing people forget is that the longer path with the good 850 aluminum piping will help cool the charge a little more. It depends what you're after though, and if I had the parts laying around, I'd probably do the reverse setup. I don't know if I'd spend a lot of money on it though.

For my upcoming setup, I may be using a custom FMIC mounted below the bumper... Depending on the space and if I can do the piping with stuff I have now. One interesting option though is one guy over on VS has cut up his stock piping to create the reverse piping setup at no cost.

I don't know that the 19T is the best option on 850s, but if you have a reliable form of boost control and you aren't relying on motronic 4.3 to control boost, it's a nice setup I think. I'm going to be using an angle-outlet 18T on my upcoming setup, which is essentially the same thing (slightly smaller compressor, but same turbine stuff).

volvo: Jesse850GLT (he comes around here sometimes and is a moderator on VS) has done pretty well with his 97 GLT, as has Alex (forget his exact name on here?), both running in the 14.4s :) Jesse is running off-the-shelf chips for the low pressure turbo cars, a 15G turbo (straight from an 850 T5), and has exhaust, water injection, and a couple of other modifications.

Tuning those cars seems to be essentially the same as tuning the other 850s, but you'll have to be a lot more careful with the amount of boost you run and how well you tune, as you have a higher compression ratio and thinner cylinder walls. Hope that helps.

--------------------------------------
Since I keep talking about "my upcoming setup," I may as well get it down on paper here :)

I'll be running a brand new angle-outlet TD04HL-18T turbo, new oil lines, a used long block with 73k miles (might put on my .040" off and slightly ported head with GLT cams, but haven't decided yet), possibly a front-mount intercooler... Definitely Samco silicon hoses.

A 3" mandrel-bent SS downpipe made by Jesse, a 2.5" IPD cat-back, a resonator in place of the cat.

For fuel, I will be using Megasquirt with 395 cc/min "blue" injectors from a 1999+ 70-series T5 car, tuning with a Techedge wideband O2 sensor, and controlling boost with an AVC-R electronic boost controller, both by RPM and gear, and watching a Boris M. KnockSense unit to make sure I don't get any knock, and see what air-fuel ratios I should shoot for (probably ~12.0:1 at WOT, running ~18-20 psi at the higher RPM levels). Ignition timing map will come courtesy of a chip designed and programmed by a personal friend of mine in Sweden.

My goals for this car are ~285-300 whp (maybe more if I put on that other and cams), and hopefully a quarter mile time around 13.5 or possibly a little faster. This is certainly a setup capable of yielding these numbers, and certainly capable of exceeding them at least by a nominal amount, but I am skeptical of my ability to tune it to the point where it can put up those numbers consistently and reliably.

I'm hoping to have the car running with this setup in a month, month and a half or so. I'm hoping to meet my power goal perhaps a month or so after that. I have all the said parts except the turbo (en route from Sweden), engine (picking up tomorrow), and downpipe (waiting for Jesse to make it... and I'm waiting for the turbo to come before I start pressuring him ;) ).

After I get that setup running well, I will write up a final copy of this "article" and submit it, mainly chronicling my adventures with these cars and mentioning results others have had with various setups.

*phew*

Back