• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Excessive crank case pressure

Wilford Brimley

Is posting from the grave
Ok so I need to drive this car and it keeps blowing oil of of the cap and leaking onto the header and smoking like crazy and I think it's crank case pressure. How can I relieve this....this is kinda critical

You might have to pull the breather box and soak it. If you need the car yesterday, pull the box and shove a hose in there until you can get time. Sucks I know.

I fixed it with my car getting that Yoshifab catch can setup. I got the whole kit with the extra breather at the oil fill cap. Before that I was blowing oil out everywhere also. Now just my rear main leaks a bit. Gonna fix that when I put in the M90, soon hopefully.

If you got your stock breather box out take a welding rod and jam it down that drain back tube the front hole of the two and make sure it's clean of gunk. That should be a rubber tube that goes all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan. Best to make sure it's clear. If it's clogged that can cause excessive oil blow outs.

Also make sure your oil cap gasket is good.

Vented cap is really your only option (or fix the blowby that is the root cause of your crankcase pressure). I did a vented cap on my wife's DD and then spliced the line into the flametrap line with a T.

Assuming this is the car in your sig, running a larger turbo & much higher than stock boost will generate CC pressure if you don't have sufficient oil vapor passage volume - could be breather box, could the vent tubing. The problem will be worse the higher you rev the engine.

Volvo sells the proper 14mm ID vent hose by the meter - 949701 - you need to be sure you don't have any restrictions in your system as any fitting below that size will be the bottle neck. If you don't have it hooked up like factory where there is constant draw on the CC at all times, you are more likely to have pressure issues.

Also doing a leak down test would be a solid way to check that your motor is sound.

If you decide to VTA - make sure all the lines and fittings are oversize to prevent possible restriction.

Back