• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

First Volvo 960 wagon

Keyblademaster45

First let me say this I know I?m young but I?m buying a 97 Volvo 960 wagon later this week it has 180,xxx and I?m looking to to get better performance and a little more info on the car like power specs difference sources say different things help will be appreciated thanks

Keyblade, are you looking at the one in West Ashley? If so, I thought about that one but there's some history on that car. PM if you want the details and I'd be happy to forward them to you.

Not really power I just kinda wanna get a General idea of where to start forums are saying different things like exhaust first or suspension and braking

Not really power I just kinda wanna get a General idea of where to start forums are saying different things like exhaust first or suspension and braking

Exhaust first? I think the first step would be to acquire the car, then register and insure it. Drive it, then figure out what you want to change.

Oh I see you're in Hickory. I also saw that one with the real estate plate on CL. I'm not sure about that one. The seller is full of it. I'd keep looking to be honest.

Lmao is it this guy?
https://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/d/97-volvo-960-wagon/6306479881.html
Don't give me crap about anything to do with this car. I know Volvos probably better thamost Volvo owners. I have serviced and repaired my own vehicles for 25 years and this is a great car. If you want it fine if you're into games stick it where the sun don't shine loser.

I highly doubt he knows **** given his garbage description.

The owner notwithstanding, the interior and exterior of that car actually look pretty good. That being said, I would still pass on a 960 as a first Volvo. Find a 240 / 740 / 940 and get something with a redblock 4 cyl. You're talking about 'performance' already completely overlooking that you will likely spend around the purchase price just bringing that car from fair to good and doing 20 years of deferred maintenance.

Yea I was looking at some other Volvo but most of them have a blown head gasket or really high miles

Still more reliable than a white block.

Jk kinda. Never owned a whiteblock.

If you can get a redblock car for dirt cheap with a blown HG, do it. That?s the perfect opportunity to have a nice car for cheap. A HG on a 240 can be done in a few hours and for right around $100 or so.

and high miles alone aren't really a thing to worry about with those cars. probably half the ones still being daily driven have over 200k.

That car has a remarkably good condition interior being that its the tan leather. It must have been stored indoors for most of its life. The Tan leather didn't hold up very well in the sun.

Other than that, I know this guy doesn't know 8==D about Volvos. The stuck seat thing is common and pretty easy to fix.

I'd say you will probably want to do the timing belt/water pump service right away. That way you can be sure it was completely done and using quality parts.

Yeah the exhaust is restrictive. It's not as easy as cutting a muffler off either. The mid pipes are really small, and a catylitic converter with 180k miles on it is probably clogged up. If you can find a shop to make up some new pipes and put a high flow cat and single muffler in there it can wake it up some.

Also check the airbox and make sure the flapper is not stuck to the hot side. Most people fix it in place on the cold side to make sure. We don't live in the arctic so it's not really needed. A stuck flapper will cost you some HP.

Back